Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-06-23, 8:20am
Bad Cat Glass

Default Anyone encase gold leaf?

I like the look of encased gold leaf, and I often make beads with it. The problem is that they sometimes crack...but not consistently. So, I might make a bead with Pinky Winky and rubino twisties, and it will be fine one time, and the next time I will get lots of incompatibility cracks. I usually use ordinary Moretti clear to encase, so that stays the same. If it cracked consistently, I could understand the problem, but anyone else have this issue or cracking with encase gold generally? Thanks for any advice anyone can offer on this.
Old 2010-06-23, 8:43am
To Bead Or Not To Bead

No, I've never had an issue with encasing gold with any colors that I've used. I did read someplace that there is a shipment of rubino that does not like to be encased. If it's with other colors besides rubino that you're having this problem, then try a different clear. Sounds like you have a bad batch of something.

Patsy

Ebay:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-23, 8:44am
Wild at Heart!

I use a lot of gold leaf and foil and I don't think I've ever had a compatibility crack. Sorry I can't help you.

What's "pinky winky"?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

??
Old 2010-06-23, 9:56am
aka Spawn Of Flame

There is an Effetre color called Pinky Winky : http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=5176

I also saw reference to a CiM color that was refered to as Pinky Winky - but it looks like it was eventually named Gellys Sty.

If it is the Gellys Sty pink, I have a lot of trouble with thermal cracking while making beads... I use it because it is fabulous, but I can't make my normal 6 beads at a time with that, so I would say be extra careful. I think some batches are worse than others.

If it is the Effetre ... I have never even heard of it until just now, so I can't help!

--
--
--

Old 2010-06-23, 9:58am
Bad Cat Glass

Thanks guys. I guess it's just a fluke but so irritating. Pinky Winky is a lovely medium pink by Effetre. I think it looks really great with rubino. Here's a photo of one that didn't crack because I left out the gold and used goldstone stringer instead. Really lacks something, but at least it has a little bling.
Old 2010-06-23, 11:23pm

I never had gold leaf beads crack, ever. But that was a while ago and I did not use your combo. I don't think the gold is the culprit, tho. <3

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-06-24, 1:24am
Unmedicated since '62

when you encase the gold leaf how much do you heat it? i use a lot of gold leaf and i'm really careful not to overheat it once its encased

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-06-24, 8:10am
Bad Cat Glass

Perhaps overheating is an issue. In order to get the encasing smooth, the gold may get more heat than it should, but it doesn't seem to do much to the gold, so I thought maybe it was incompatibility with the glass. That would explain why sometimes it cracks, and other times, the same combination does not. Thanks for the input. I guess I have to be more gentle with heating the encasing to smooth it but not heat up the gold too much.