Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-12-12, 6:28pm
Totally Lost

Default Kiln Question?

Hi! I haven't been around in a long time, I've just been overcome with life. I have wanted to get back to my torch but it just hasn't happened.

Rather fortuitously though, I have started dating someone AND the first time I went to his house he takes me out the shop and shows me a kiln. The woman he rents the house from left it in the shop and said he's welcome to use it. He'd heard me mention glass and thought he'd see if I can use it.

We plugged it in and it comes on and gets hot, but other than that I have no clue if it will work for lampwork.

I'm attaching some pictures....

I feel really stupid asking, because I feel like I should know this, but it's been a while.

Thanks for looking!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-12-12, 6:45pm
honorary bead lady

Little big for lampwork!
Altho if you were to get a digital controller it would work ok for larger fusing projects

This is the 120v p-10...
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39458
Old 2010-12-12, 6:51pm
Totally Lost

Thanks for your help. I don't do fusing and really have no interest to. Can't afford a kiln now either and this one fell in my lap.

oh well.

Old 2010-12-12, 6:58pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

You could use it to batch anneal.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-12-12, 7:00pm
Totally Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
You could use it to batch anneal.
What would I need to do to the kiln to be able to do that?

Old 2010-12-12, 7:19pm
honorary bead lady

Well you could batch anneal if you had at least a pyrometer, and if you wanted to sit out there and watch it,
or still get a digital controller
Old 2010-12-12, 7:19pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Well you could batch anneal if you had at least a pyrometer, and if you wanted to sit out there and watch it,
or still get a digital controller
yep. . It has a kilnsitter which is made for pottery and will not work for annealing.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-12-12, 7:44pm
Totally Lost

Any recommendations? digital I guess since it's not even at my house.

Old 2010-12-12, 9:48pm
Alaska Boro

One can make their own PID controller using a Fuji PXR-3 and a solid state relay (SSR).

As indicated batch annealing could work as the temperature for boro is 1050 F and lower for COE 104. Thirty amps is a lot of power to use but using all of the elements may not be necessary. A kiln shelve could be added to raise the beads closer to the top along with a ceramic blanket to rest the beads on.

If using the kiln for garaging , then it is difficult to add beads one at a time. Plus the added heat loss each time the lid is opened. Along with getting toasted each time the lid is opened.

Many kilns made for bead annealing are in the 1 - 1.5 KW power range or run about 10 to 15 amps at 120 VAC.