Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-09-16, 9:17pm

Default Glass Bra

i am going to create a bra for a Susan G. komen fund raiser.

What i would really love to do is create pieces with mixed pink, white and clear glass formed to fit a 'cup' and pieces for the band and straps and link them together with jumprings. I would need a brass or steel form and a way to poke the holes in the pieces - in know tungsten pick - i don't have one......

i am on a hot head and dont know if my skills are up to the test. My kiln does not get hot enough to fuse.

Any suggestions?

SRA #C88

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-09-17, 5:16am
pedal as fast as you can

Is this a full size bra you want to create or a miniature sculpture?

Old 2011-09-17, 6:15am

Full size - it will be shown for a week and then modeled by men at a fashion show.

I have an option in the back of my mind that will be easier, but would like to try this way....

SRA #C88

Old 2011-09-17, 6:36am

its been my dream of thirty years to create a bra of glass!! please post pics of it, will be wonderful!
Old 2011-09-17, 6:44am

will you be attaching the beads to a bra? or are you thinking a total glass bra with no backing? a chainmaile bra with lots pendant dangles or fringe?...a larger detailed bead for the nipple ...maybe big hole beads that fit over the jumpring straps? ...a toggle for the clasp in the back or better yet in the front?.....lol just ideas floating around in my head..lol

would love to see it when your finished!

Old 2011-09-17, 6:53am

I would love to do total glass - in pieces attached by jumprings. my back-up plan is to attach beads to a bra, if i do that i want to incorporate some goddess beads somehow.......wish i could do chainmail - that could be cool!

SRA #C88

Old 2011-09-17, 6:58am
Gentleman of Leisure

IF you are going to try for a full glass "cup" I double seriously if HH will have enough heat to keep amount of glass requires hot enough and pliable enough to shape.... There is going to be a huge surface area to maintain "heat" into while shaping piece...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-09-17, 7:11am

get a piece of styrafoam and mark out the size you want the cup...start wire wrapping beads with a loop on both ends to fill in that area...use stick pins to keep them in place while you work out your design?...attach the whole pattern with jumprings?.....or make offmandrel pieces and do glass loops to attach jumprings to?...tell me to shut up anytime...LOL

Old 2011-09-17, 9:10am

Dale, i figured that which is why i am thinking of making pieces that hook together with jumprings to form both the cup and the straps.

Deb, that is my idea if i can get the first one to work.

SRA #C88

Old 2011-09-17, 9:44am

If the cups were blown from clear boro that's sand blasted and oil painted, could you then attach your pieces from there?
Old 2011-09-17, 9:47am
Borovangelist

Modeled by men?

It might be easiest (and more comfortable) to figure out how to do it with beads strung and create a spider web sort of look, if that makes sense.

GAS does a glass fashion show at their conference, and there are clips from some of them up on youtube. Maybe have a look for some inspiration and design ideas?

|
|
Old 2011-09-17, 9:59am
formerly Marella

I took a class at the Pittsburgh Glass Centre from Susan Taylor Glasgow last summer....fabulous teacher and she does amazing work.

This is full-sized...her wedding gown is incredible!!

http://www.taylorglasgow.com/sewnglass.htm

~
~
~
Old 2011-09-17, 10:03am
Borovangelist

wow

|
|
Old 2011-09-17, 11:11am
Oinky Oink!

OMG!!!
How amazing!

Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-09-17, 11:21am
Triumphantly Knit!

what about different shaped beads, strung together on that quilting stuff/bead embroiderty stuff that I can't think of the name of, that once it's all together washes away?

you could dunk it gently and rub til it disintegrates leaving the beadwork? If the men don't have man boobs you do need some time of boning to support the structure.

I've wanted to bry mini bras, hmmmm, maybe I'll go do that?

good luck and have fun, it sounds like alot of fun and post pics of the show, please and of the finished project

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-09-17, 1:47pm

Thanks everyone! i played a bit and think i am going to wind up using ruffled floral dicsc with pink twisties and attach them to a bra structure.

Blown boro cup would be great, but totally beyond my skill and equipment level.

SRA #C88

Old 2011-09-17, 3:17pm

I can make and donate the cups. Pretty simple. Blow a large tear drop bubble cut in half long ways reheat and manipulate to turn the edges pierce holes. Sandblast blah blah blah...... if interestedx let me know.
Old 2011-09-18, 6:55am

Thank you!

SRA #C88

Old 2011-09-18, 11:04am
Triumphantly Knit!

Hey Chris, how big can you blow the cups, I see a halloween costume developing and I'm gonna be at glass stock east. I think we have a costume night.

I'll pay you.....email me kether929 at gmail

with some of those curly feathers in Kevan's thread in the bathroom, I think I could make something to make it a bit more modest if need be, but it's Halloween and I'll check with Deb, if modest is an issue. oooooooh I would love to do this.

and I can't wait to see what you put together Vicki!

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-09-18, 6:36pm

Default So excited!

i am so excited by this project!!!! Will post pics when i am done.

Menty, yes men in pink will model the bras at intermission of a fashion show......should be a blast!

SRA #C88

Old 2011-09-21, 3:15pm
Always Improving

You might try and get in touch with Delores at the Eugene School of Glass.

She has made several as well as the part that fits inside.

She made them at this year's flameoff.

Mike...
Old 2011-10-16, 2:32pm

Default final product

Well, here is the final product. Not nearly as impressive as the piece posted above. It has about 45 mixed pink glass disc flowers:
Attached Images

SRA #C88

Old 2011-10-16, 2:56pm

Vicki you did a great job.
Old 2011-10-16, 7:18pm
Pyromaniac

I think it's fantastic!
I did one out of glass leaves on a crochet base a couple of years ago:

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2011-10-16, 8:30pm

Vicki it's great , they're going to love it. All the quilters in this area were challenged a few years ago to make bras for the fund raiser, they toured several areas and were then auctioned off, it was a great fund raiser and of course mine had to have some beads on it if I can find a picture I'll attach. Couldn't find it on this ,,,,computer.Dicrodi
Old 2011-10-17, 10:28am

Wow that is beautiful Lana!

SRA #C88

Old 2011-10-17, 3:26pm

Very nice woozles. You did a great job! It looks really pretty

Old 2011-10-17, 5:22pm
honorary bead lady

SIGH just displayed on a table