LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2012-01-30, 12:44pm
Growing Edge Glass

All of the wrap bracelets are gorgeous!!

I've got the stuff to make some, just haven't done it yet.

Just a tip to share......on some of my other pieces of jewelry, when I've used the leather, I take a matching colored sharpie and dot it on the cut end of the leather to blend it in. Works perfectly with most colors...even if the color is off slightly, it kinda polishes it up a bit instead of the raw cut leather ends showing. Hope that made sense?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2012-01-30, 3:07pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Great idea Mikelene!
I'm working on a bracelet with dark blue leather and the inside is light brown, so I'll try covering up the end

Old 2012-01-30, 3:28pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Ginny, I got the kind recomended in the video (posted before) Its called Hypo cement
and i got it at michaels with a 40% off coupon. It was like 5.99. Thats what they were using in the video and reading it makes it really seem like the best to use. I use it just to keep my knots tight.
I've been doing that satin stich closure thingy in the video and I like that. I wear my bracelet day and night, in the shower too....so has my daughter. The first one I made different and it came appart in just over a week. Both of ours are still holding great.......
SO i'm following the video but I do like the one donia posted about the brass ball chain, going to try that one soon!
sue

sue

Old 2012-01-30, 3:54pm
Yorkies Rule

If I use the c Lon floss...does anyone know what size needle? Is it a big eye needle?
Old 2012-01-30, 3:59pm
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyHampton View Post
Great idea Mikelene!
I'm working on a bracelet with dark blue leather and the inside is light brown, so I'll try covering up the end
Can't wait to see your other bracelets Ginny...the one you posted is gorgeous!!!

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2012-01-30, 4:43pm
Storm Queen

I just made my first button. They aren't easy to make. This is one without a shank with two holes so I rubber-banded two mandrels together. What a mess! I ended up with a huge ball of glass and the mandrels weren't stabilized enough either with a double row of rubber-bands. So I let the blob of glass cool and used it to stabilize the far end and made a button in the middle which worked. I do have that button system someone was selling but I never have used it before.

Old 2012-01-30, 5:17pm
I'm not Barbie.

I use a size 10 or 12 needle.

Last edited by fyrebeadz*; 2012-01-30 at 9:27pm.
Old 2012-01-30, 7:48pm
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I just made my first button. They aren't easy to make. This is one without a shank with two holes so I rubber-banded two mandrels together. What a mess! I ended up with a huge ball of glass and the mandrels weren't stabilized enough either with a double row of rubber-bands. So I let the blob of glass cool and used it to stabilize the far end and made a button in the middle which worked. I do have that button system someone was selling but I never have used it before.
You're right, it's a pain in the neck!
Hubby has made me button mandrels by putting a slight bend in a pair of mandrels, then lashing them together with wire. He makes sure they won't twist by using a blob of some kind of putty further down, so it doesn't go in the kiln.
I think it's body putty? not sure. I finally did break down and buy some button mandrels from Arrow Springs---I felt awful if I bent one that he'd made for me.
Old 2012-01-30, 8:14pm
Storm Queen

Yeah, I figured Arrow Springs would have something for buttons. I may just have to buy that.

Old 2012-01-30, 8:22pm
Mr Brutus RIP

I love my button mandrels, have 3 of them and use them all the time. They are pretty easy to use. Amy, why not use the button system you have?

Old 2012-01-30, 9:49pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post
I love my button mandrels, have 3 of them and use them all the time. They are pretty easy to use. Amy, why not use the button system you have?
I pulled it out. One thing I don't like are the short mandrels. I leave my mandrels hanging out of my bead door. I wonder if my long mandrels would fit on it. The other thing is that it came with o-rings. What are those for? I need an owners manual.

Old 2012-01-30, 9:57pm
Mr Brutus RIP

LOL, yea, mine hang out too...... the short ones feel really terrible when I grab them to move them *ouch* O rings.......hmmmmmm

Old 2012-01-30, 11:09pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Oh Amy, I just knew you had lost some part of them!!! LOL...I have them too and have never used, so cannot laugh too hard. I will check for directions tomorrow (today, later)and let you know.
Old 2012-01-31, 6:13am
N2Beadz

Gina, love your new addition to the thread.

I've got a double strand on the board presently working on it. Some of the lampworked buttons I've been purchasing are waiting to be put to use. Some new leather I ordered still hasn't been delivered yet though. Here's just another simple single strand for now...

Old 2012-01-31, 7:34am
Mr Brutus RIP

Beautiful Donia, love the color!

Old 2012-01-31, 8:07am
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post
Ginny, I got the kind recomended in the video (posted before) Its called Hypo cement
and i got it at michaels with a 40% off coupon. It was like 5.99.

sue

Oh, I'll have to watch the video!!
Did you get the regular gs hypocement or the fabric hypocement. They make 2 kinds. I actually have hypocement I just thought it was for non porous things only. Hmmm!
Off to see the video!

Old 2012-01-31, 9:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by donia View Post
Gina, love your new addition to the thread.

I've got a double strand on the board presently working on it. Some of the lampworked buttons I've been purchasing are waiting to be put to use. Some new leather I ordered still hasn't been delivered yet though. Here's just another simple single strand for now...
That is beautiful!
Old 2012-01-31, 9:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrebeadz* View Post
I use a size 10 or 12 needle.
That gal in the video looks like a stewardess going through the safety talk!
Old 2012-01-31, 2:55pm
Storm Queen

My first button:

I'm sure I'll get better at it but it's perfect for what I have in mind for a bracelet for me.

Old 2012-01-31, 2:55pm
Yorkies Rule

Thanx Donna for the needle size....Now if I can only do a bracelet as pretty as yours.
Old 2012-01-31, 3:00pm
Tacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
My first button:

I'm sure I'll get better at it but it's perfect for what I have in mind for a bracelet for me.
It's better than my first button.
Old 2012-01-31, 7:11pm
I'm not Barbie.

Thank-you Kristen, I can't wait to see yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
Thanx Donna for the needle size....Now if I can only do a bracelet as pretty as yours.
Old 2012-01-31, 7:32pm
Mr Brutus RIP

oh amy that is so pretty!!! Great for these bracelets!!

Old 2012-02-01, 3:03pm

I like the button Amy. Nice first one and it's symmetrical! Mine sure wasn't in that style. lol
Great new additions Donia! Did I ever tell you how comfortable the bracelet I got from you is? It is. Totally comfortable.
Ginny! I loooove the triple wrap!
I have another one. I have a large dog snack container filled with these now.

Old 2012-02-01, 4:29pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Ginny, sorry I missed your earlier post. I got the GS Hypocement. It says leather right on the package so thats what I figured would be best.

Rebecca WOw, that is one huge button!! LOVE your bracelet!

Old 2012-02-01, 4:52pm
Bad Cat Glass

A huge thank you to Hannah Rachel for her wonderful tut on how to do these. I have quite a few, mostly for friends because I'm so bad at selling things! I just did this one for my sister-in-law, and she loved it.

Old 2012-02-03, 2:42pm

This shop has some nice silver buttons..http://www.etsy.com/shop/cathydailey
Old 2012-02-03, 4:04pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Ohhhh, Franchesca! I love it with the red and that button, holey smokies that is pretty!!
Sue

Old 2012-02-03, 4:05pm

Love this tut, have to try it.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 2012-02-03, 4:44pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Just pulled out all the stuff to do the one with the ball chain. Got my button and all my stuff, hopefully I'll finish tonight and can post a pic tomorrow. It looks pretty easy and fun!
sue