Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-03-23, 1:43pm
KAS Lampwork Beads

Default Lining Large Hollow Beads...advice needed

I would like to purchase an Impress Bead Liner and need to know if it's possible to line large (1"-2") hollow beads. Has anyone tried it? Any pictures or advice? I have never used a press/liner so completely unfamiliar with their limitations.

I'm making hollow beads that will be filled with cremains and (I think) lining the beads would be a good way to keep the ashes inside of the beads.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Kathleen

My ETSY STORE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-03-23, 1:50pm
sunscreen me baby

I do this. Make sure to get the risers to go with the impress.

~

Old 2012-03-23, 2:01pm
KAS Lampwork Beads

What size mandrel do you use for your hollows? Is it easier to line a larger hole in a hollow bead?

My ETSY STORE:

Old 2012-03-23, 2:38pm
sunscreen me baby

I find the larger hole makes filling it easier. I use the pandora sized tubing and mandrels. It's nice to be able to just slip the bead over a chain.

~

Old 2012-03-23, 2:41pm

You also need to consider the outside diameter of the bead. The Impress can go fairly high - at least 2". But, due to its design, it can't go that wide. i'll try to measure mine this evening if I get a chance, or maybe someone else can chime in with that number. I'm pretty sure it's less than 1.5 inches.

I prefer the impress for smaller beads, but if you're doing wide beads, like this disc, they won't fit.

Old 2012-03-23, 2:47pm
Sorry for party rockin'

I agree with what Susan and Lynda have said.
You can get risers for a 'taller' bead through the hole, but you can only fit a bead that's maybe 1 3/8" across the other way inside the Impress tool.

I've used it to core large hollow round beads with success:

Old 2012-03-23, 3:05pm
KAS Lampwork Beads

Hmmmm....I didn't consider the width of the bead fitting into the Impress but my cremains beads shouldn't be that big. So......I need to order the press, a set of risers, some tubing....anything else? Oh, is there a good place to purchase just some inexpensive silver-colored tubing?

Thank you for all the help and that hollow and disk bead are so beautiful!

Kathleen

My ETSY STORE:

Old 2012-03-23, 3:48pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Make sure you get the correct peg for the size tubing you are using.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2012-03-23, 4:06pm
Alaska Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Make sure you get the correct peg for the size tubing you are using.
One can also make their own pegs. Check Lowe's and Home Depot for the appropriate shape of head for a 6-32 thread machine screw 1/4 inch in length. Or use your present peg as a guide.

Since 6-32 (i.e. size 6 with a thread of 32 threads per inch) is about 1/8 inch one can use a Dremel with the 1/8 chuck. Chuck up the screw and use a file or grinding stone to reduce the OD of the head to the size needed. Even sandpaper could work in a pinch. Use an appropriate RPM for the task.
Old 2012-03-23, 4:23pm
Hobby Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
Hmmmm....I didn't consider the width of the bead fitting into the Impress but my cremains beads shouldn't be that big. So......I need to order the press, a set of risers, some tubing....anything else? Oh, is there a good place to purchase just some inexpensive silver-colored tubing?

Thank you for all the help and that hollow and disk bead are so beautiful!

Kathleen
I got 1/4" aluminum tubing for about $3/ft from my local hobby store

Old 2012-03-23, 4:37pm
KAS Lampwork Beads

Thanks so much for all the terrific advise! Woo-hoo a new toy!

My ETSY STORE:

Old 2012-03-23, 8:54pm

Make sure if you are filling the beads with fine/dusty material, that you don't use too much bead release on your mandrel, you need the bead to fit really snuggly against the tubing you use to line the bead. I filled some beads with tinsel glitter and it worked its way along the center of the bead and slipped out under the caps on either end of the bead. I really don't think you want cremains seeping out of the ends of your beads.

Old 2012-03-24, 11:38am
KAS Lampwork Beads

Oh my! Leaking cremains would not be good at all! Thank you so much for that tip! Beads will be for family (my dad's ashes) but still would not want him to spill all over the place!

My ETSY STORE: