No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-22, 9:14pm
Slogan Challenged...

Default Wax for graphite rollers?

I recently heard this recommended on one of the sites that sell rollers, although they were brass ones. They said to use it for the more complicated graphite rollers too, like the ribbed ones. Does anyone use wax for these?

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2013-02-22, 9:39pm

I bet it is bee's wax...
Old 2013-02-22, 9:54pm
hyperT

Bees wax and Aquadag will recondition grafite tools
Old 2013-02-24, 6:48am
Slogan Challenged...

Thanks for your responses.
I think it is beeswax. They didn't mean reconditioning, unless you do it in-between uses? Would you need it to use the roller itself well, like a ribbed roller?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-02-24, 7:04am
hyperT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
Thanks for your responses.
I think it is beeswax. They didn't mean reconditioning, unless you do it in-between uses? Would you need it to use the roller itself well, like a ribbed roller?
No aquadag is used to recondition worn out graphite tools, to resurface it. After long term use where graphite is subjected to heat or direct flame it will become granular on the surface. Aquadag will fill the surface back in and make it smooth as new. If you ever need it you can get it from Wale Apparatus. I think you need bees wax
for what you want to do. I just threw aquadag in for reconditioning graphite tools as wel.

Have fun, Wayne

Last edited by hyperT; 2013-02-24 at 7:06am.
Old 2013-02-24, 8:09am
Slogan Challenged...

Wayne, I have never heard that about graphite at all! I'll have to keep an eye on the rollers I have now then. Thanks so much!

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-02-24, 8:13am
hyperT

Quote:
Wayne, I have never heard that about graphite at all! I'll have to keep an eye on the rollers I have now then. Thanks so much!
But you have heard of pencil lead it's the same stuff. I dont think you will have to worry bout your rollers for a very long time if they are not in direct heat with the fire.
Old 2013-02-24, 8:16am
Slogan Challenged...

True, but I don't tend to smoke them.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-02-24, 8:19am
hyperT

Quote:
True, but I don't tend to smoke them.

(sorry, couldn't resist)
I don't really know what kind of rollers you have or how you are going to use them. But if you use any graphite shaping tools they can get grainy. Trust me you will know when they need to be reconditioned just by looking at them. Probably scientific or industrial glassblowers would have do that more than most lampworkers.

Last edited by hyperT; 2013-02-24 at 8:21am.
Old 2013-02-25, 3:04am
Naysayer

I have heard of using beeswax on brass etc to help with shaping. Never have used it myself.

There's loads of threads here on it, I'd link but I'm on my Iphone and it's hard to search here on it

Tags
bead roller, graphite roller, wax