Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-03-29, 5:09pm

Default Pimping out my torch

Pimping out my torch with the help of Scott Bouwens of Bearfoot Art and of course with Blast Shield.. if your are wondering where the base plate is, the torch sits on a Jeff Rogers table slide also offered by Blast Shield.
I'm seriously considering sending off the right hand stabilizer plate for chroming. it make a nice side view mirror, never know when someone will seek up on you.
but truthfully it be nice to have a mirror in close for popping holes. I'm presently having a small set of yolk rollers fabricated to swap out the left stabilizer when need be.

obliviously I have way to much time on my hands. that being said it does make a huge difference for me. I asked Scott to just send me the arms and not the magnetic bases. Worked out great. I'm not sure how the production is going on these but the hand stabilizers are well made, far better than I hoped. A torch like the Mirage or Delta are tall torches and these work very nicely. the table slide has a huge impact on me being able to work with larger lengths of tube and rod. i work into a diagonal work bench and that can pose a problem. it lets me rotate and raise my torch with ease as well as pulling my torch further back from the bench. the blast shield is old news but I love it. Not shown is the attachment that holds my baron table top marble for roughing marbles. it sits suspend just below the torch head.

not meant for a traveling torch, but got to say as my stay home its just very sweet.

so thanks for the great accessories guys. too cool

if i get the hand rested chromed I'll take a night picture with it raging , could make a cool picture with the side view mirror effect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.

Last edited by murf; 2010-03-29 at 5:34pm.
Old 2010-03-29, 5:52pm
Madmanmarbles

That thing looks more like a robot instead of a torch... Really cool..

[color="Red"] Chettah
Old 2010-03-29, 5:58pm

Lame.... man up and learn how to hold that tubing with out rests!!!!! jk but seriously that is some crazy set up, that is truly unique.....so do those arms everget in the way? i have had to pick up my torch before to get to some angles on large pieces that a hand torch just wouldnt cut so i dont know....looks baller though....and dont chrome something like that, it needs to be gold plated, and when i say that i mean everything should be gold the torch included, then it would really be a baller set up!!!!!!!
Old 2010-03-31, 5:58am
Pyromaniac

Pretty cool setup!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-03-31, 7:15am
Somebody's watching me!

nice Lmarver...it's soo bigg!! haha...i just put on my marver last night. check it.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=158696
Old 2010-03-31, 4:07pm

It needs more cowbell!

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2010-03-31, 6:48pm

Good job the foot rests on each side are adjustable so's you don't get toasted feet.

Old 2010-03-31, 10:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Good job the foot rests on each side are adjustable so's you don't get toasted feet.
...and you get perfectly roasted nuts every time.
Old 2010-03-31, 11:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
Lame.... man up and learn how to hold that tubing with out rests!!!!! jk but seriously that is some crazy set up, that is truly unique.....so do those arms everget in the way? i have had to pick up my torch before to get to some angles on large pieces that a hand torch just wouldnt cut so i dont know....looks baller though....and dont chrome something like that, it needs to be gold plated, and when i say that i mean everything should be gold the torch included, then it would really be a baller set up!!!!!!

my right wrist has been operated on three times and all have failed. i can bare spin with my right hand though it seems to work find when I need to use both hands. my left wrist is showing signs of carpal tunnel and well I'm no fool not to try not to make things easier on my self.

Yoke rollers, what can I say. a great tool.
the right hand support will stay as is and the left will be a fixed tool/ yoke support.

I think any thing takes getting use to. I seem to recall smacking a few piece of work in to the blast shield when I first got it. easy to adjust to these types of thing

as far as getting in to tight places. you got to remember that the torch still pivots up and down. the hand plates are connected to the base and are fixed in position. one advantage is i can swing the torch 180 degrees away from the bench and still have the torch secure to the bench. I can elevated the torch a foot higher if i need to. I have a smith torch as well. sounds like you do much bigger work than I do.

I'd do the gold plating but having some chroming done on my bike now so....

------------------------

Last edited by murf; 2010-04-01 at 6:35pm.
Old 2010-03-31, 11:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
not a bad idea
maybe a fold out kick start pedal.

------------------------
Old 2010-03-31, 11:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerman44 View Post
nice Lmarver...it's soo bigg!! haha...i just put on my marver last night. check it.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=158696
I checked out the thread. nice recovery on mounting that marver.
I cant tell from the picture but it appears that the marver is one solid piece?
I really like the rounded section, very nice. can't say I have ever seen that before.

------------------------
Old 2010-04-01, 7:06am
boro color bender

That rig reminds me of a Goldwing... all the comforts of a lazyboy, with more horse power! I love that you're making it work for your situation and taking pride in it... good job man!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-04-01, 7:44am
Somebody's watching me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf View Post
I checked out the thread. nice recovery on mounting that marver.
I cant tell from the picture but it appears that the marver is one solid piece?
I really like the rounded section, very nice. can't say I have ever seen that before.
well, it has a stainless piced that holds the graphite. but the graphite is one solid piece...i got it from waleapp for 30 bucks plus shipping.

thanks for taking a look. im kind of proud of my handi-work

Old 2010-04-01, 7:52am
Somebody's watching me!

i LOVE your adjustment knob on the torch!

Old 2010-04-01, 7:54am
Somebody's watching me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerman44 View Post
i LOVE your adjustment knob on the torch!
just realized that is a standard thing for those models of GTT..haha...still sweet tho!

Old 2010-04-01, 8:39pm
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

hey Murf, I pimped out my mirage to add on a smith litle torch for fuming small diameter tubing, mind if I post it in your thread?
Old 2010-04-02, 7:18am

does that thing make glass for you?

seriously...

No Disassemble Johny 5!!!!

Andrew

Old 2010-04-02, 10:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbone View Post
hey Murf, I pimped out my mirage to add on a smith litle torch for fuming small diameter tubing, mind if I post it in your thread?
I would love to see that.
I do most of my fuming with a smith torch too.
I just seem to get a better mirror fume.

------------------------
Old 2010-04-02, 1:16pm
Button Queen

It took me awhile to find the torch in all that cowbell...! LOL!
Old 2010-04-03, 9:08am
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

Mirage with Little Torch...not as pimped as Murfs, but I like it...
Attached Images

Old 2010-04-03, 9:13am
Salt Box Beads

OH my gosh Murf!! That thing look like it is ready for lift off!!!!
Lorraine
Old 2010-04-03, 1:20pm
product of the universe

frankentorches

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.