AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-10-02, 11:43am

Question Any compatibility issues with DZ Zephyr?

I'm seriously changing the casing I use on my dichro stringers from Reichenbach Crystal to DH Zephyr, but won't do so if there are any compatibility issues. I don't think there are, but have been out of the loop recently with everything else that has been going on. So, has anyone had ANY compatibility issues when using Zephyr?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-10-02, 11:56am
da General

If memory serves, there was on isolated incident where a batch of Zephyr didn't like a batch of the test batch of Ossa (can't remember the exact number - OP something). Other than that, I don't think there was any issue. Double Helix tests every single of its batch against Effetre 004 Clear with a very tight tolerance level so I would imagine it being very consistent from batch to batch too.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-10-03, 7:32am
Formerly FishBulb

I use Zephyr on my ocean beads, and tested it before I used it full time. I made a bead with it, and left it to sit for several months. It held up, so now I use it all the time.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2013-10-03, 12:49pm

Just to be clear, I'm not looking at changing from the Reichenbach due to compatibility issues. It's more of a convenience and personal beliefs issue. Convenience in that Double Helix is now only a few hours away and I literally drive almost past their driveway when I go to visit my parents. Personal because I believe strongly that we should support our own local artists as much as possible.

Old 2013-10-03, 2:41pm
Senior Moment

You drive past it?!

*so jealous*

And Zephyr is my clear of choice.

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-10-03, 3:26pm
Sucks at being nice

I use Zephyr in my murrini and on most of my beads. I use dichro, mica, frit, brass and whatever else I come up with in my beads and have had 0 problems. Love the stuff!

Old 2013-10-03, 4:03pm
Lampworkaholic!

You will love Zephyr.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-11-30, 5:39am
..in withdrawal....

I just tried Zephyr for the first time and LOVE the look -- but everything cracked all to %^(&%^&T^T. I was using a base of CIM Peace with Thompson clear enamels, all 104 COE. Has anyone else had issues with cracking?
Old 2013-11-30, 6:31am

Everything I make with Peace cracks.
Old 2013-11-30, 11:01am
dances with ideas...

I have never had any issues with zephyr. It is my go to.

Old 2013-11-30, 2:41pm
da General

Try it with Effetre White instead of CiM Peace.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-12-03, 1:12am
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Zephyr is fantastic but you will find it quite a bit softer and soupier than reichenbach.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2013-12-05, 1:17pm

I've had no problems using Zephyr for dichro stringers. They come out so sparkly.