Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-08-26, 4:55pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Default 96 COE clear glass rod with 96 frit, cracking issues

Can anyone supply an annealing schedule for 96COE glass?

I have been getting cracking issues with using 96 frit and 96 clear glass rod. I have even made sure they were heated up really good before putting into the kiln and they still cracked. Not even right away, I will check the beads the next day and they were cracked..buggers!!

I am using the same schedule I use with my 104COE.

Thanks,
Janet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-08-26, 7:34pm

Janet, I've always used the same schedule as for 104. Are you using lampworking 96 or fusing 96? Not all 96 is compatible with each other when used in the flame. Are you using any other glass besides 96 in the beads? No clear 104 or some such?
Old 2016-08-26, 7:46pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC View Post
Janet, I've always used the same schedule as for 104. Are you using lampworking 96 or fusing 96? Not all 96 is compatible with each other when used in the flame. Are you using any other glass besides 96 in the beads? No clear 104 or some such?
No, it's Spectrum 96 rod (clear) and Glass Diversions frit which is 96, no other glass with them.

Janet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-08-26, 8:07pm

Let me think on it. I seem to remember something about incompatibility, but too late to nail it down tonight.
Old 2016-08-27, 7:08am
Slogan Challenged...

Hmmm, what colors? Are you encasing? What is the base for the frit? What bead release? New mandrels? Incompatibility cracks? Do you have pics?

How frustrating. I hope we can help you figure it out.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2016-08-27, 10:12am

I knew I'd read it somewhere, a long time ago. This is from the Spectrum website FAQ.

What’s compatible with System 96?

Let the red System 96 logo be your guide to products that have been “Tested Compatible” within the System 96 program. Please note that that products labeled as simply “COE 96” may not actually be compatible with true System 96 products. If in doubt about a product, ask your supplier!

Hope this helps you get beads that don't crack.
Old 2016-08-27, 12:10pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
Hmmm, what colors? Are you encasing? What is the base for the frit? What bead release? New mandrels? Incompatibility cracks? Do you have pics?

It's Val Cox Frit, Violet Fire. My mistake as I thought it was Glass Diversions. I would heat and dip the clear 96 rod in the frit and make a bead with that. Just simple. Now I think the beads with the most problems with the cracking were the ones I did heavily fritted. The ones that I have noticed that are still okay are lightly fritted. There may be some issues with too much frit? Either way I don't think I will try it again as I can't sell them like that in case they crack some time down the road. Too bad as it's a really pretty colour!

Janet

Old 2016-08-27, 12:49pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post

These ones are okay, the others are cracked right down the middle.

Bead release is the same one I use all the time. Can't recall the name right now.

Janet

Old 2016-08-27, 6:11pm
Corgi Cult Member

What temp are you annealing? I make a lot of 1", or larger, hollows with 96 and frit. I anneal 1 hr at 960 and then a very conservative ramp down. I have very few problems with frit on 96 unless I let a bead get too cool before it goes into the kiln.

Have you recently changed your reamer? Whenever I put a new diamond reamer in the Dremel I crack a couple beads from the inside. It's the price I pay for letting my mind go on autopilot while cleaning beads.

Last edited by artwhim; 2016-08-27 at 6:14pm.
Old 2016-08-27, 11:26pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post
What temp are you annealing? I make a lot of 1", or larger, hollows with 96 and frit. I anneal 1 hr at 960 and then a very conservative ramp down. I have very few problems with frit on 96 unless I let a bead get too cool before it goes into the kiln.

Have you recently changed your reamer? Whenever I put a new diamond reamer in the Dremel I crack a couple beads from the inside. It's the price I pay for letting my mind go on autopilot while cleaning beads.
I have the same annealing schedule as yours. My bead reamer is old so it's not that. I just find it odd that the cracking doesn't happen right away. I even found another one today that had the crack straight down the middle and it's from the same ones I made 3 days ago.

I'm going to try again with a different frit and see what happens.

Old 2016-08-28, 12:57am
Phill

MY experience with 104 has been that if the crack runs straight down the middle then I spent too much time admiring my handy work before sticking it in the kiln.

If I get cracks that squirm this way and that then I used a mixture of glass that I shouldn't have.

But I don't hesitate to add that I have never used anything other than 104 (well, there is a lot of Devardi here that is supposed to be 104 but I still follow the 5% rule with that as well) so YMMV.

Please let us know if you figure it out.
Old 2016-08-28, 4:54am

can anyone tell me what 96 clear val was selling ? (I got it new in bag on fb without a brand name just says Val Cox leaded clear)
I'm finding it very stiff . Thanks

Last edited by yellowbird; 2016-08-28 at 6:41am.
Old 2016-08-28, 5:32am
Lampworkaholic!

System 96 clear is lead-free. You might have better luck with a leaded clear furnace cane such as Reichenbach or Kugler.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2016-08-28, 11:46am
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedslug View Post
MY experience with 104 has been that if the crack runs straight down the middle then I spent too much time admiring my handy work before sticking it in the kiln.

If I get cracks that squirm this way and that then I used a mixture of glass that I shouldn't have.

But I don't hesitate to add that I have never used anything other than 104 (well, there is a lot of Devardi here that is supposed to be 104 but I still follow the 5% rule with that as well) so YMMV.

Please let us know if you figure it out.
Yup...crack straight down the middle, that's what happened. I'm wondering if I am waiting too long to put it in the kiln, in that it cools off alot faster than the 104 does (from flame to kiln).

Janet

Old 2016-08-29, 7:16am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrgrl View Post
Yup...crack straight down the middle, that's what happened. I'm wondering if I am waiting too long to put it in the kiln, in that it cools off alot faster than the 104 does (from flame to kiln).

Janet
Janet ... the beads are gorgeous! Please let us know what you determine as the final problem. I seem to remember that Val Cox (and I could be wrong, old age!) said Kugler leaded cuz I bought some and when it finally arrived I had no idea why I bought it. It wasn't until I was ready the frit book again that there it was ... recommended!
Old 2016-09-02, 10:15pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Janet ... the beads are gorgeous! Please let us know what you determine as the final problem. I seem to remember that Val Cox (and I could be wrong, old age!) said Kugler leaded cuz I bought some and when it finally arrived I had no idea why I bought it. It wasn't until I was ready the frit book again that there it was ... recommended!
So far, non of the others have mysteriously cracked over night so I think it might have been just me! Ahhh...I have that frit book of hers cuz I have a photo of my beads in it. I'm a fritaholic! LOL I will get some of that glass, thanks for the tip!

Janet

Old 2016-09-16, 12:09pm

Doesn't sound like incompatibility. Sounds like they are cooling down too much before they go into the kiln.

Back in my day, we had nine planets.