Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-03-21, 10:23am

Default New to Boro Will try it today.

Went to Momka's Glass Open house Sunday. What great glass she carries. Momka comes to my Challenge Days when I put them on and most of us use soft glass. I left her business with a bunch of wonderful boro rods she was so sweet to bless me with and now I am going to try boro for the first time. Should be a real experiment. I have two concentrators on a Lynx and it is really hot when I use soft glass and I have been told it will work for boro. (Yes I know Oxygen tanks are better but I will need to use the equipment I have)The boro colors are so lovely and also because I would like to do more sculptures I know boro lets you keep things out of the flame longer than soft glass so I am very interested in using it.

Be forewarned! At my next Challenge Day I may have you soft glass beaders try it out and have a new experience along with me. Be expecting! Peg M
Old 2006-03-21, 10:25am
boro color bender

I don't know what my schedule looks like. Let me know when you're going and if I can, I'll be there! I saw your question, sorry I didn't answer, but I have never tried that combo, so I just couldn't help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-04-21, 7:16pm
Nah, not really...;)

I am bumping this thread because it just has so much info and I still have a soft spot for it!

Thank you Mr. Smiley for giving me a small push and lots of encouragement to try Boro.
Thank you Cosmo for all the time you put into helping me and all the other 'newbies' to figure this wonderful glass out.
Thank you to all of you Boro fanatics who came way before me and for sharing what you know so freely!
Thank you for all your kind words and also for answering the silliest questions from me.

Thank you to everyone who posted to this thread, it literally changed my life........don't laugh, I know I am getting a little mushy here, but it is the truth.
And no I am not drinking.

Old 2006-04-21, 7:52pm
Nah, not really...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort
OK, well today I stopped babying the boro. I was making a marble with the Lynx on about as high as it will go, and pulling off little bits of crap from the punty marks with my tweezers. All of a sudden there was this big white flare, and I thought "oh, must have burned off one of those stringers to fast." I went to pick off some more bits of the punty mark, and then I noticed that I had lost about 1/4 inch off one side of the tweezers. Dang! These were my favorite tweezers and I have had them for about 10 years. They worked great with softglass, but I guess they weren't up to the boro challenge.

Oh, and I actually used both the inner and outer ring of the Delta today. Woohoo!

Eric
I forgot, at the time I thought that was funny as shi*, not that you lost your favorite tweezers, but the way you told the story.
Now my point is, I have learned when I can and when I can't use the outer ring on my torch, 3/32 mandrels burn in half very quickly I might add!
It definitely freaked me out the first time it happened, but the second time, I wanted to slap myself for not paying attention!

Old 2006-04-22, 10:37am
Old enough to know better

Carrie - You've changed! Your id, I mean. All this talk about inner an outer rings is going to make me want a new torch that has, well, an outer ring. I go a 2nd concentrators so I could work boro better then got a tank again so I could work boro even better now I'm wanting another torch to take advantage of the tank and work boro even better! Does it ever end? I have already melted through a couple of 3/32" mandrels, though, so perhaps I should limit myself!

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-04-22, 4:07pm
Nah, not really...;)

I know, I have way too many names, butterflykj, Carrie Berry (yes that really is my name), etc.
Hardwood Trail Glass is my new business name, so I wanted to streamline everythng. I couldn't be 'Carrie Berry Beads'!
Anyways, yes I upgraded my torch, but am still on tanked O2, I don't think I'll get a concentrator until I know it can run my torch w/ out questions and then of course, in my price range!

Old 2006-04-23, 5:45am
boro color bender

Carrie, you are very welcome... I tried calling you back a few times the other day. Drop me another jingle if you want.

I'm on a mission to get back to work this week. I hope I can make it happen.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-04-23, 10:14am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Why can't you be Carrie Berry Beads??? I LOVE how that sounds! And imagine the logo possibilities!

My SIL is a stay at home mom (although she works more now than she ever did with a "real job") and one of her favorite things is making Jam and jellies. People began to refer to her jams as "Ginny Jam", so I made her up some labels for the jars and now, she even changed her cell phone message so it answers with "You've reached Ginny Jam".

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodTrailGlass
I know, I have way too many names, butterflykj, Carrie Berry (yes that really is my name), etc.
Hardwood Trail Glass is my new business name, so I wanted to streamline everythng. I couldn't be 'Carrie Berry Beads'!
Anyways, yes I upgraded my torch, but am still on tanked O2, I don't think I'll get a concentrator until I know it can run my torch w/ out questions and then of course, in my price range!
Old 2006-04-23, 10:49am
Nah, not really...;)

LOL Karen!
Ginny Jam sounds better to me, how cute!

Old 2006-05-22, 8:17pm

I only work boro.

Just in a moment of curiosity, yesterday I picked up some odd pieces of Lauscha I first started off with, maybe a year and a half ago.

After a few minutes of popping and cracking and flopping I remembered what it's like to have to make allowances for it's working properties. Then I recalled the reply direct from the manufacturer after my question about compatibility of the product range when (after correct annealing) they craze cracked after a few days, they said;
'the glass can sometimes also differ something and having not the exact COE. Sorry, that's glass.'

So that's why I don't do Lauscha and that's why the remnants have found themselves in file 13.

I don't condemn anyone for their choice of glass, but why use Lauscha if you don't make glass eyes, and boro is freely available? Please enlighten me, I really am genuinely curious.
Old 2006-05-23, 6:32am

File 13? Sounds like somebody is an old time computer programmer.

Eric (ex IT guy)
Old 2006-05-23, 6:42am
Satake Woman!

Swampy, it is all about color. I use Moretti when I want crayon colors, Satake for gentle pinks and purples, and boro when I want metalics, irridescents, and other cool things that soft glass won't do for me.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-05-23, 9:08am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I'm with Jo. Boro is crazy sexy stuff, but it is notoriously unreliable when it comes to getting consistent results. Product varies batch to batch, the color is affected by how you melt it, how you heat it after it's made, how you anneal it, etc. Only with boro can you take a clear rod, have it melt to form a yellow bead and stick it in the kiln and pull out a purple bead later. (I'm being a little disingenuous here, since there are striking colors in Moretti - but you get the drift).

With soft glass, I have a much more reliable color pallet. If I want to put green leaves on something, I don't have to worry that when I pull it out of the kiln the next day the leaves will have turned red. When I'm making encased flowers, I get a much nicer product using moretti than boro. The boro glass wants to swallow and meld all the detail, and it takes a more patient hand than mine to correct for this. Again, it's possible to do, I'm just a lazy son of a b*ch.

Also, soft glass melts quicker and is much easier to shape (for me anyway). If I'm pressed for time, and need to make a lot of beads fast, I'll grab the 104 coe stuff and whip them out (again, I lie - I really reach for the 96 coe stuff, as it's compatible with all the frits I own and I'm quite the frit whore too). I don't have to flame strike them to produce accurate colors, and I don't have to worry about the bright colors boiling like they do in the crayon boro.

As for the softer Coe's like satake (114-120?) well, the REAL reason I would ever work satake is for the soft ethereal color pallet. I usually have no problems finding the satake glass mixed in with any other glass beads. They appear to be almost glowing, and they really lend themselves to Asian inspired beadwork. I love the colors, but man, it's like making beads with butter. I made a whole batch once and when I took them out of the kiln, they were all drippy off the mandrels (yes, I adjusted the kiln, but not apparently enough...).

I think, in the end, it really comes down to color choices.
Old 2006-05-24, 5:47am

Definately, healthy experimentation and detailed record keeping of the results are a good asset in forecasting the outcome. Fourteen years of kilnwork taught me that.

I like torchwork for the spontaneity/serendipity it allows. Carefully planned projects give more pleasing results and look better than something just thrown together with whatever is on hand.

I think I just like intricate stuff, making it look easy is the skill!
Old 2006-05-24, 11:45am
Nah, not really...;)

Swampy, where in Belize are you?
I have a few friends that live there full-time and part-time. I was there in September and will be back later this year. WooHoo, I cannot wait!

Old 2006-05-24, 6:12pm

Default Ot

Quote:
Swampy, where in Belize are you?
I have a few friends that live there full-time and part-time. I was there in September and will be back later this year. WooHoo, I cannot wait!
So you like Belize then, pleased to hear it Carrie.

I have to figure out that Google earth thing, so many people ask where I'm located. Oh well, the CIA probly know anyway so it won't hurt to say I'm in a small but very lively town 25 miles west of Belmopan.

Just been doing torchwork over the past year, so Seeeerosly considering the possibility of offering accomodation in exchange for lessons with an archaeological tour thrown in. I've reached the level where I can't seem to progress anymore without someone physically showing me, you know what I mean?

Anyone interested? Hit me up.
Old 2006-05-24, 7:21pm
daughter and I

yummmm Belize. $218 from Atlanta yesterday! Hey! it's my dream vacation!

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2006-05-25, 2:41am
Nah, not really...;)

Swampy, Placencia and near Hopkins are where my friends are.

Wow, Valerie, that was so kind and sweet of you to look up the airfare. You should go, but not in the summer, in the fall or winter months.

Old 2006-05-25, 6:05am

Quote:
Swampy, Placencia and near Hopkins are where my friends are.

Wow, Valerie, that was so kind and sweet of you to look up the airfare. You should go, but not in the summer, in the fall or winter months.
K. Down south. The roads need a lot of work down there, is that why you said to Valerie don't come at those times?

We're way north up on the western highway, all-weather paved road access is good all year.

Busting my brains trying to figure out why you said not to come... hurricane? We're 75 miles inland and it gets a bit breezy when there is one out.

Skeeters? Is it the skeeters? I've seen and felt bigger ones in Alberta, these ones get used to you after a little while anyway

Please explain Carrie -need more info or I'm not gonna sleep tonight!
Old 2006-05-25, 7:10am
Nah, not really...;)

I lived in Key Largo, FL for 6 years and summers were tolerable, but I suggested if people wanted to come down, either do it in the Spring or Fall. Plus living in North Carolina now, I want to get out of the cold weather for a little bit in the Fall/Winter months for a change of pace.
Not because of the threat of hurricanes, the bugs, or the dirt roads (now there's a story!) I think people who are adventurous and laid back would love Belize, I know I do. I obviously don't live there, but I think it is a simpler life, not the hussle bussle, "keeping up the Jones" type of country. I cannot wait to come back and go to more ruins, go into Guatemala, Jaguar Paw, etc.
BTW: We did an awesome hike up to Antelope Falls, OMG, mind blowing.

Anyhoo, now that we've hijacked this thread, let it return to its previously scheduled programming.

Old 2006-10-30, 9:55am
HourGlass Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
I can get you a good price on a small starter order. Just PM me and let me know what you want.
I would be interested in this. I would love a couple rods of a few colors that are NS. Blue Moon for sure and others.

Old 2006-10-30, 10:04am
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie L
I would be interested in this. I would love a couple rods of a few colors that are NS. Blue Moon for sure and others.
PM me your wish list... I'm heading over to see my guy this week.

Old 2006-10-30, 12:05pm
HourGlass Studio

Cool...off to make a little list. Thanks Smiley - your the best !

Old 2007-01-28, 4:35am
Nah, not really...;)

This thread is what started it all for me in my Boro addiction. It has sooo much info crammed into the many pages, it's a definite read! Well worth your time!
This was the only all boro 'place' before CorriDawn made "The Boro Room". Thank you again Corri!

I thought I'd bump it up after reading playswithfire104's thread!

Old 2007-01-28, 7:53am
Dangerous Woman

OK so i see that this is 20 pages long. I read up to page 7 yesterday. I've been cutting and pasteing bits and pieces of good info into a docu that I can print out and have a great reference guide to keep near my work area! Thanks everyone that contributed to this!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-01-29, 9:03am

I went to an open house at urban glass and made an offhand drinking glass. Came home ordered a hothead kit and some videos. I was able to make some things but really wanted a better torch after seeing what was in the videos, I really wanted to make sculpture so I bought a major with premix top fire MISTAKE, or not, it led to being horrible for soda lime, reducing atmosphere, and I really wanted to do sculpture and all the sculpture videos I had were boro, so I switched to it and stopped making beads. Once I got my mirage I went back to playing with soda lime, now im doing soda lime sculpture, after seeing the possibilities with it at vittorios class. I guess if I hadn’t gotten that torch I may not have ventured into boro the way I did. So all ends well. I love boro for its forgiving working properties and faster set up time, but I love soda lime for its ability to want to attach to itself very easily and accept tooling so well. boro resists attachment and tooling without higher temps, which then melts detail, so I still use both it depends on what im doing. Working now with bullseye, more like boro than 104. I also use boro for durability, so if im making rings or things that will get more use, I tend to opt for boro. So many times I've bounced things even off my cement floor, no harm.
ro
Old 2007-03-19, 2:20am
Nah, not really...;)

There were some new people in Smiley's class this weekend and I was telling them about this thread. It is packed w/ soooo much info, that I am bumping it up for everyone who hasn't seen it...again.

Old 2007-03-19, 8:32am
dances with ideas...

Had to laugh at myself... I opened the last page of this thread and saw Peg's comment about Momka's open house. Thought she was talking about the yesterday's event until I got halfway down the page and had deja vu. More coffee, please!

Old 2007-03-21, 5:43am
boro color bender

A blast from the past... I hope this thread gets more hits and good info. I started this while Charles was here with us and I must say, I have a frog in my throat right now... This was something I was working on for Northstar... I miss him and the conversations we had about boro and the bead world. Carry on and melt some boro for Charles.

Old 2007-03-27, 11:30am

Default carlisle cc?

What kind of concentrator would I need for a carlisle CC?