Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-02-03, 1:23pm

Thanks Chad. I'll get those.
I think you will be really busy when your studio opens, btw...Paula

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-02-04, 6:00am
lov'in life!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflykj
Those are awesome! You go girl I would be proud!
What colors did you use?
I haven't tried a star yet, it would take forevah.
I am still going small but will try the bigger stuff next week.

Thanks Carrie I think on one star I used DAP, Coblalt, Almond Nugget and clear. The other start I used Egyptian White Sands, Cobalt, DAP and clear. They were so much fun to make but they did take some time to do, lol. I think I just need to find the right flame chemistry and the right kiln settings.

Hey, you're only two hours from me...we need to have a get together sometime. Ever have the need to go to Charlotte? I'm on this side of it but not too far

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Old 2006-02-04, 6:25am
boro color bender

Just a little inspiration to keep you guys going... you can do this!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-02-04, 6:44am
Nah, not really...;)

OMG
Those are disgusting.....................disgustingly good........... is that a word
I am sooo into it and having fun. I am not stopping now
Thanks for all the encouragement!

Old 2006-02-04, 6:52am
Nah, not really...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameDancer
Thanks Carrie I think on one star I used DAP, Coblalt, Almond Nugget and clear. The other start I used Egyptian White Sands, Cobalt, DAP and clear. They were so much fun to make but they did take some time to do, lol. I think I just need to find the right flame chemistry and the right kiln settings.

Hey, you're only two hours from me...we need to have a get together sometime. Ever have the need to go to Charlotte? I'm on this side of it but not too far
Thank you for the colors.
I am going to try a star and maybe a pendant and/or Smiley heart next time at the torch. I get uncomfortable doing stuff 'off mandrel' So we'll see how that goes.

My SIL lives in Huntersville, outside of Charlotte, so I do go down about once a month to take the boys for the weekend. I'll let you know next time and maybe I can swing by? I would love it!

Last edited by HardwoodTrailGlass; 2006-02-04 at 6:59am.
Old 2006-02-04, 7:04am
lov'in life!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflykj
Thank you for the colors.
I am going to try a star and maybe a pendant and/or Smiley heart next time at the torch. I get uncomfortable doing stuff 'off mandrel' So we'll see how that goes.

My SIL lives in Huntersville, outside of Charlotte, so I do go down about once a month to take the boys for the weekend. I'll let you know next time and maybe I can swing by? I would love it!
Carrie, that sounds great!!! How do you get to Huntersville? Do you go 85 by chance? If you do, you're only like 25-30 mins. from me at the Kings Mountain or Blacksburg exit. I can be in Huntersville in an hour from 77. It'll be a blast to get to play boro with you!

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Old 2006-02-04, 7:11am
Nah, not really...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameDancer
Carrie, that sounds great!!! How do you get to Huntersville? Do you go 85 by chance? If you do, you're only like 25-30 mins. from me at the Kings Mountain or Blacksburg exit. I can be in Huntersville in an hour from 77. It'll be a blast to get to play boro with you!
I go 40, then 77. I'll give you a call and drive down or meet you somewhere and follow you, I don't know that area at all.
Sounds good to me!
If you'll PM your phone # that would be great. I'll PM you mine.

Old 2006-02-04, 8:05am
Back from the Dark Side

This is one of the best threads i've read! Brent, you truely are an inspiration! And thanks for getting me thouroughly hooked on boro Still working on getting all of the colors to pop, but i've had some luck!

~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2006-02-04, 8:08am
Nah, not really...;)

Those colors rock!

Old 2006-02-04, 8:25am
Back from the Dark Side

Thanks Carrie! It was the first one that i really got a ton of color out of

~
~
~
Old 2006-02-04, 8:33am
Nah, not really...;)

Lynn, what torch are you using? and tanked O2 or ???

Old 2006-02-04, 8:36am
Back from the Dark Side

I have a piranha and i use a concentrator. The biggest one i have made so far has a 3" wingspan. I have been using Precision boro, simax clear, and some odds and ends from mr smiley!

~
~
~

Last edited by Lynn Larson; 2006-02-04 at 8:38am.
Old 2006-02-04, 8:46am
Nah, not really...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Larson
I have a piranha and i use a concentrator. The biggest one i have made so far has a 3" wingspan. I have been using Precision boro, simax clear, and some odds and ends from mr smiley!
Dang, that is big! I gotta go bigger. I guess my torch, Lynx, can handle it but I am skeerd
Both you and Krissa have given me some motivation thank you!
Especially since ya'll are both new to Boro like me

Old 2006-02-04, 8:51am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

ow yes the lynx can handle it and so can you, believe me nothing can go wrong with boro if you are used to moretti... the stuff just doesn't crack!

Old 2006-02-04, 9:01am
Nah, not really...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne
ow yes the lynx can handle it and so can you, believe me nothing can go wrong with boro if you are used to moretti... the stuff just doesn't crack!
I LOVE that I just put the rod right in the flame w/out hesitation. My stomach and my heart aren't 'nervous' when I use Boro.
No flying pieces, no worries about the bead cracking
I think Boro is more my speed at this point.
More encouragement! I love this place and thank you Suzanne, you rock!

Old 2006-02-04, 9:02am
Nah, not really...;)

PS Pictures Suzanne, pictures! Gotta see how lovely your work is!

Old 2006-02-13, 5:31am
Gone Fishing!

Talking

Alright... Gotta tell you.. if you ever get to take a class with Brent, DO IT! Ron Jr talked me into taking Brents Boro Heart class this weekend. Its not like he had to twist to hard... Brents class was SOOOOO much fun! I learned a lot and laughed a lot too! Brent is really a great instructor. Very patient and he really knows his colors. He also showed me that new yummy Elvis and I gotta say... I am in love with that color! I can now (kinda) make a Mr. Smiley heart... yahoooooo!

I also want to say my Kudos again to Ron Jr and Rocio (of Art Glass House.) Their new teaching studio is really wonderful and they are the best host. Those two people are probably the nicest couple you would ever want to meet! I just love them both! I cant wait to take more classes with them. They are the hostest with the mostest for sure.. also if you are lucky.. you get to watch Ron Jr. blow some amazing pieces from his torch... that guy has got wicked cool talent!

Thank you again Brent and Ron Jr... Super Big Hugs to you both!
Old 2006-02-13, 6:42am

I'm skipping from page 7 to the end so maybe when I go back I'll see this is a repeat.

I've remembered why I don't do boro. The DVD I have (and some of the info from GA ~I think) made it pretty clear, I'm probably not smart enough.

I love that it isn't shocky. I like the way it melts. I love the finished product and I like the properties in between.

I don't get the flame striking. (Among other things, on the video he worked 3 beads on one mandrel, was that to demo or do people actually work that way?) I don't get the hold the hold time, do I start with one color and work down the list and hope nothing stays in the kiln too long?

So many questions. Soft glass starts to look easier and safer.
Old 2006-02-13, 6:50am
ManBearPig

True, it does seem harder at first look. But, remember how hard any kind of lampworking seemed before you ever did it?

Watch Doug's DVD and take notes, then take those notes to the torch with you. Yes, you'll make some you aren't happy with at first, but before long you'll be making nice stuff.

As for making three on a mandrel, I have done that sometimes. Usually I just do two. With that big Carlisle torch he has, there is more than enough ambient heat to keep them from cracking while working on the next one.

Old 2006-02-13, 7:09am
Gone Fishing!

Hey Just Nancy... which Video did you watch that made you so confused?
Old 2006-02-13, 3:04pm

Doug's. LOL. I must be slow.

I 'get' what he's saying. I knew the glass had to cool down to get the crystals to do their thing with color and all. I knew about striking. I don't get working with colors that need to be in the kiln at different temps for different amounts of time. Stuff like that.

Also the 3 beads. I'm thinking ~ great, multiple chances for cat barf on one mandrel. I'm thinking if I make the step and actually use the glass I've had for years now, I'll stick to one at a time. Even if I don't get very many made. That way the yucks won't be laughing in chorus.
Old 2006-02-13, 5:40pm
ManBearPig

Well, basically, it's just a matter of working with similar colors so that they can all be annealed at the same time/temp. It's actually something that is much easier done than explained. I would get a few colors that are easier to work (Amber Purple and maybe some Ruby) and work with it a little while. Amber Purple needs to be flame struck, and Ruby needs to be kiln struck. Practice until you can get consistent results, then move on to other colors.

Old 2006-02-13, 9:00pm
daughter and I

Great to hear about Brent's class, now I'm really really looking forward to it, it seems so far away tho!
So if I'm working with a Piranaha and tanked O2, what should my settings be around???

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2006-02-14, 8:31am
Gone Fishing!

Ok guys... I am trying to sell my Lynx in the garage sale. I am selling it for $375.00 plus shipping and insurance. do you think I am asking too much... I have only had it for a year and it doesnt have a ton of hours on it... hmmmmm
Old 2006-02-14, 8:45am
ManBearPig

That's not a bad price. You should have no problem selling it for that price.

Old 2006-02-14, 12:13pm
Glassy Lady

Hey Brent,

Can you please explain how to make pendants like those? I'd love to give it a try.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2006-02-16, 12:11am

Wow! great thread! I've learned a lot. Thanks everyone for all the tips and advice. Hey Chad, it there a reason why I can't get your tutorial?
Old 2006-02-16, 6:42am
ManBearPig

We redesigned our website not too long ago, and we are still in the process of putting everything back up. If there is something in particular you want, let me know and I can e-mail it to you.

Old 2006-02-18, 6:30am

I love Chad's tutorials - too bad I'm too clutzy to DO any of them right!

THIS thread needs to be bumped!

Martha
Old 2006-02-18, 12:26pm
In search of her path....

Actually Nancy if you can do 4-6 at a time on a mandrel you may be better off because they should end up all similar colors once they are out of the kiln.

THe problem I run into is if I were to do 1 at a time I cant keep my sizes consistent or the colors really Its reasier for me to build sets if I do 6 or more one one mandrel.

It takes alot of practice but its really worth it if you can
Karin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nancy
Also the 3 beads. I'm thinking ~ great, multiple chances for cat barf on one mandrel. I'm thinking if I make the step and actually use the glass I've had for years now, I'll stick to one at a time. Even if I don't get very many made. That way the yucks won't be laughing in chorus.

Prints for sale in my
!