Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-05-19, 1:06pm

Default CIM is too stiff and smoky

Hey everyone (oh gosh, I almost typed "everypony")
I have a question about CIM glass, that I couldn't find answered. Right now I have only two CIM colors - Leaky Pen and Soylent.
Leaky Pen, while it is GORGEOUS is very stiff - if it's not mind-blowingly glowing I can't apply it anywhere, and it cools off very wuickly. Are all the CIM glasses like this?

And another one - Soylent, a beutiful color, but it smokes evry time I use it. it becomes dirty and looks like it's dusty, and sometimes has these noticable black spills. I tried using it on almost the end of the flame, where ir barely heated - I got the same effect.

And now I'm about to purchase a kiln and want some glass along with that - and since Effetre has a very limited palette for my taste, I was drooling over CIM, but afraid to get it.

Any advice? Thank you in advance, that's a lot of text I rambled on.
Old 2014-05-19, 1:16pm
sunscreen me baby

No, not all CIM colors are stiff. What kind of torch are you using?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-05-19, 1:26pm
Senior Moment

I had issues with sooty glass when using propane canisters on my HotHead. I use MapPro (propylene) now and it's made a world of difference.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2014-05-19, 1:48pm
Shelarious

Leaky Pen is a stiffer glass, yes, but Peace for example melts like butter.

Old 2014-05-19, 2:44pm
Slogan Challenged...

Transparents are usually stiffer than opaques. You'll find that true with all the brands. CIM has gorgeous colors, and generally easy to use.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-05-19, 2:57pm

I use HotHead torch with propane gas, with a simple bbq tank. I don't think i can even get Mapp here.
Old 2014-05-19, 5:12pm
Senior Moment

Naw, there's no MAPP to be found anywhere for the most part (the company closed a while back). MapPro (propelyne) is a decent substitute though. And take a look in the "Need help!! Colors changing !" thread here in the Tips N techniques forum; she's also having similar issues with colors sooting up and there's a few suggestions in there

Alli

Old 2014-05-19, 5:32pm

Thanks Alli, I'll check out that thread I hope I won
t need to switch gases though, my propane tank cost so much
Old 2014-05-19, 7:19pm
Senior Moment

Urk; I think propylene is even more expensive.

Old 2014-05-19, 8:50pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat View Post
Urk; I think propylene is even more expensive.
It is, a little bit. But it is SO much better than propane. It burns about 300 degrees hotter, it burns much cleaner, and you will be very happy with the results. I used my HH for 18 months before I changed to an oxy/propane set-up. Now it is 12 years later and I still love the HH. There are some beads that I make which I can't do with my oxy/propane torch.
Old 2014-05-20, 2:46am
Naysayer

I used to use propane on my HH, for what it's worth. Not soylent as is wasn't out then, but for sure Leaky Pen. I would say if it's smoking it is dirty glass ?
Old 2014-05-20, 6:11am

I work on an oxy-propane Minor Bench burner and have an oxygen concentrator. The last time my glass started getting dirty in the flame, it was because the oxycon was dying. You might not be getting enough oxygen into your flame mixture, or your torch needs cleaning out.
CiM colors are among my favorites, both for color and workability. Try their Gelly's Sty sometime, it's one of the very best opaque pinks out there!
Old 2014-06-18, 8:12am

YAY! Guys, if anyone has the same problem with sooty Soylent - I found out what the problem was!

I gues you could say if I were a super hero my powers would be super-dumbiness. When I first started working on my HotHead it wouldn't start, unless I coated the reduction holes. Soylent got all murky when that option was on. Tosay I took the coating of holes away, the flame was finally ok and my Soylent is now PERFECT! Such a beautiful shade of green!