Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-11-30, 5:09pm
sorcerer

this is light blue amber purple struck in the kiln.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-11-30, 5:18pm
Bernhard Riegler

beautiful - don't mind me asking your strike temp?

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Old 2013-11-30, 5:27pm
sorcerer

between 620 and 650˚C

Old 2013-11-30, 5:31pm
Bernhard Riegler

Thank you Bernard - this is more the high range - I guess you don't hold that for long. I am about to go down to 565°C, but maybe my kiln's thermostate is off by a little

Old 2013-11-30, 6:58pm
sorcerer

I actually run it up to about 650 for a half hour then turn the kiln off, when it's down to 300 or so I turn it on again and do the same again, three or four cycles like this usually work.

Old 2013-11-30, 7:30pm
Bernhard Riegler

Well, your results are stunning. It seems to work perfectly for you. If I do this with my kiln everything will be purple (dark purple). Thanks for sharing this.

Old 2013-12-02, 9:14am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
Cosmo, do you bring them up to 1200 for 20 minutes and then back down to 1050 and hold for an hour to anneal?
Yes. I hold everything at 1050 while I'm working on it. Then when I'm done I raise everything up to 1200, then back to 1050 for a certain amount of time depending on the size of the pieces, then ramp down.

Old 2013-12-02, 2:06pm
specializing in obnoxious

Thank you all for the insights. Although I didn't ask the question, I have been having difficulty as well. I thought it was a fuel issue. Now I know that I need to get my kiln HOT.

__Go Big, or Go Home!__

Old 2013-12-03, 11:11am

Also, I posted this on another thread as well, but it is a good idea to cut small sections of amber purple rod and place them in various locations of your kiln before running a full cycle. Quite often you will find that different locations in the kiln will strike quite differently. For Instance, near the front of the kiln I get the lightest strike, but for some reason the back left and right corners strike very differently. For me the right corner must be hotter since it strikes stuff more quickly and fully there. You can then create a kiln "map" so you know where to put stuff after you are done working it if you want to more precisely control the strike.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2013-12-03, 11:53am
Bernhard Riegler

Thank you Eric. You are totally right. I had to put a shelf in my kiln to get things off the floor, because the temp difference between floor and 4cm higher made a huge difference. I will experiment with corner temps too - thank you - good tip