LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2006-04-30, 4:56pm

Default My studio

I'm so excited my studio is nearly finished!

This is what it looks like so far.

I'll update the pictures when I'm finished
Attached Images

Old 2006-04-30, 7:12pm
it is what it is......

Doesn"t it feel great!
Enjoy!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-05-01, 10:50am
*goofball*

cool space, i can see im not the only one who keeps chapstick everywhere i go.........lol

Shawn Lynn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-05-22, 6:21pm

Default My studio is finished.

My studio is finally complete. The last thing added was the creation station. I like it though I think the wrist supports should be about 1/2 - 3/4 inch shorter. Or the elbow could be longer. Actually, that might be possible. I do have such a helpful BF.
The topmost box is my own invention. I designed it, Mike built it. It is a box with a dish rack inside on both sides. I use it like th bakes acks at the supermarket. I have medium sized cookie trays/jelly rolls pans. They slide right in and I have all my short rods on 1, my frit on another, and 3 have cased stringer and fancy pulled ribbon cane. Its like a paint pallette of glass.
Attached Images

BoniBell

Last edited by BoniBell; 2006-05-22 at 6:28pm. Reason: wrong picture
Old 2006-05-23, 4:53am

Very cool. Glad you're situated. I'm sure you'll spend a lot of time there.
Old 2006-05-23, 5:29am

Dude what is up with the propane tank inside your house.

Safty
Old 2006-05-23, 9:43am

Hi BoniBell. Looks like you are really getting into this!

Do me a favor... please read the Safety threads in LampworkEtc.
The best safety oriented guys in the known universe post there.

Here's a starter... just click the link. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412

Buster

(edited typo)

Last edited by MythBuster; 2006-05-23 at 11:10am.
Old 2006-05-25, 3:58am
Covered in glitter

Yikes...tank inside and no ventilation that I can see. Don't mean to be a downer but you need to be safe.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2006-05-25, 5:41am

I always find this interesting. My insurance was approved me with the tank inside the house (basement) as long as it was taken outside after use. (The bulk MAPP I had, not as large as a BBQ tank.)

And now that I'm in my new studio (not in a residence in an ag building) the insurance, building inspector and the fire department had no problem with the BBQ tank in the barn.
Old 2006-05-25, 7:25am
Gentleman of Leisure

Barns, outbuildings and commercial space have different rules for LP gas storage than a residence. Mainly because you are not sleeping or caring for the sick or young in these settings...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2006-06-01 at 8:00am.
Old 2006-05-25, 11:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nancy
I always find this interesting. My insurance was approved me with the tank inside the house (basement) as long as it was taken outside after use. (The bulk MAPP I had, not as large as a BBQ tank.)

And now that I'm in my new studio (not in a residence in an ag building) the insurance, building inspector and the fire department had no problem with the BBQ tank in the barn.
Guess that means not all our freedom of choice has been taken away by corporate and government regulation

Here where I live, one must place thier children in car seats or seatbelts when riding in a car. But if it is a pick-up truck, and all the inside seats are occupied... then you can stack'em like cordwood in the truck bed. And they do. Legally. Insurance says its ok too. (Now before you say... that can't be true, remember, school buses don't have seat belts... so it's probably also true in your state).

So what has that got to do with this thread????
We should take the rules, codes and laws that DO exist, seriously, and as a starting point for our safety (and the safety of others). We should do due diligence, and make well considered decisions. Because the government doesn't do it all for you - not yet.

Personally, I believe an individual has the right to place themselves in whatever harms way they choose (sky diving, rock climbing, flamework, motorcyle riding, hunting, etc.), IF they have the funds to pay for results of an "oooops", AND don't physically harm another person when the oooops occurs.

Some of the fun things in life carry a high probability of adverse event, but the event results are minor (like scraping your knee when learning to ride a bike). Perhaps not such a good example now... with bike helmets, elbow pads, knee pads, and gloves being used... but you get the drift.

Some of the fun things in life, conversely, may carry a low probability of adverse event, but the results when they occur are catastrophic. Many of the fun things we do with fire find a niche in this latter category.

I truly appreciate the educational work of the safety guru's here on LE that help further reduce the probabilities and level of potential damage.

I think the thread starter is very proud of her new studio. I think she sees there is more to do... due the work of the safety guru's here on LE... and it would not surprise me to see a very different picture posted here in a week or two.

Buster
Old 2006-05-25, 4:04pm

Dale, the first situation was my home and it was approved to be inside during use and taken back outside. I don't suggest others act on my experience by I think it is something others should look into. If they are going to have their tank in the house (and I've been to many classes that do) it is safer to have them in there just when being used than full time.

Everyone else,
I hestated to post this because I don't want to steel the original poster's thread but here goes. I just never understand why someone can't politely pm the person and suggest a change. I don't see why it takes 2 or 3 people to point out the negative in public.
Old 2006-05-25, 7:58pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Because there is 194 responses and 6,741 reads on this thread...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412

And people still don't seem to "get it" until you slap them up the side of the head with a 2x4 in public....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2006-05-25 at 8:02pm.
Old 2006-05-26, 7:34am
Button Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M.
Because there is 194 responses and 6,741 reads on this thread...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412

And people still don't seem to "get it" until you slap them up the side of the head with a 2x4 in public....

Dale
Actually, I think it's because, in this case, most new people are VERY overwhelmed by the forums and don't know that the information is there, or even how to get to it.

I know it took me several months to figure out how to weed my way through the forums and figure out how to do searches.... or even that I COULD do searches, and I'm very computer literate. Not everyone here is.

There will always be new people who don't know. We will always be reminding one person at a time of where to go for safety hints and tips. Publicly humiliating them will only server to alienate them from the forums, which means that they will NEVER learn because they won't be here TO learn.

Now, if you tell Person A about such and such safety violations, in a private, gentle way, and 6 months later they're still doing it.... then blast away.

Just my humble opinion.....

Barbara
Old 2006-05-27, 8:00pm

Default tank in the house

Just a note. I have read the saftey forums. The tank is gone. On the right you can just see the window. My plumber friend was here today, installed the stuff right through the wall. Now all I have to do is lift the window, unlock thebox, turn on the gas, and melt some glass. Much better than torching on the porch like I was. My house and family don't blow up and I can stay warm. Not a problem in May but I started this in January, and that was brutal sometimes out there on the porch. Made my first indoors beads just a few hours ago.
And I also got a new lighter. Its a really cool replica of a pistol lighter, all metal. And its refillable too.
I have some ventilation, but it is sideways. I end up with cross ventilation and a pretty strong wind, Its not great but I also don't do any powders, metals, fuming, etc until it is upgraded. Not perfect, but my friend can't do the new vent for about 2 weeks. I'll show pictures as soon as its in.

BoniBell
Old 2006-05-27, 8:29pm

Well I had been fine with everything until you said you should slap me with a 2x4. Last person to try that now pays me mucho money on a regular basis and I get to have my own name back. I thought the safety forums were very useful, and I am not very computer literate. It truely would have been enough to put the link in if I hadn't already been to the forums. Dale, when I was reading the forums I was kind of feeling bad for you being jumped all over, but I will say, it seems kind of strange to yell at me before you get the rest of the story. Thank you Barbara, for sticking up for me. Thank you Mythbuster for the link and the urging me to look there. The changes have been made. Dale is who he is and I don't take it personally that he doesn't want me to blow up my neighbors loudly and with attitude. Of course, if he should choose to read this, remember, most people turn off their ears (or in this case eyes) when they hear a lecture coming on (which is my little scold.) Just the American reaction to be told what to do, I guess. It gets my defenses up, but in this case, I really did need to fix the problem. Thanks for all the input. I'll post an updated picture of my MAPP gas connection and my ventilation system when I can get another roll of film taken. My digital camera is dead. RIP

BoniBell

Last edited by BoniBell; 2006-05-28 at 3:25pm.
Old 2006-06-23, 8:05am

hi Bonibell! I love the studio, the cookiesheet racks are way cool! it's very exciting to have your own place (and not be on the porch lol)

Old 2006-06-23, 9:14am

Safety first, ALWAYS.

Why post safety concerns here, rather than a pm? Because how many people see THIS public post and think it's okay to do the same.

Why does Dale feel frustrated? Because he's advised people on safety over and over and over and over .... and he gets frustrated because he wants EVERYONE to torch safely. Problem (which is a good problem to have, btw) is we keep getting newbies and the issues continue. It's hard to say the same thing over and over and over and over... the issue of safety never ends.

So, my advice? Continue to listen to advice given and learn. We want you around for a long time to come.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2006-06-23, 11:01am
Crispy Critter

I was really glad to read your update...it sounds like you're well on your way to having a safe work area.