No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-05-30, 9:58am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster
Seeing as how you yourself are not a lampworker (unless you left that part out), I can see how some of these phrases would hold little or no meaning to you.
Whatever.

Unhijacking this thread... and returning to the original intent...where the starter was gathering information to make a well informed decision about matching an oxygen system to a torch.

When we do have a chart of what it takes to feed specific torches, in terms of fuel and oxygen, cf/h-lpm, and psi (official info supplied by the torch maker - not girl friends)... compared with a chart of what specific concentrators can supply in terms of lpm, psi, and purity (also official info), then the two charts can be brought side by side for a lampworker's informed torch/fuel/oxygen system selection process.

This information is not being used to "pick a torch", but to determine what is needed in terms of a fuel/oxygen supply system to feed it... to get it to work... at minimum/maximum performance... whatever that "performance" might be.

The pedestrian terminology of "miles per gallon", if directly applied to this, would be "hours (miles) per cubic foot (gallons)" of torch time. 200 cf tank with 10 cf/h torch, equals 20 hours of torch time. This can also be applied as follows: Knowing that the torch operates at 10 cf/h tells me that I need a oxygen system that can deliver 10 cf/h, if I expect to operate the torch at optimal design levels.

Of course, the key to all this is getting information directly from the manufacturer... and since, Kimberly dear, you are NOT the manufacturer, I take everthing you purport about GTT (and other) torches with a grain of salt... In fact... I will no longer waste my time responding to your tomaceous diatribes.

Now is there more??? Pam is 100% completely correct that oxygen flow is not the true determiner of heat output. It is how well (efficiently) a torch design can convert a cubic foot of propane into something else, and while doing so, exothermically release large amounts of heat. Heat that can be measured in btu/h and btu/cf density. That's the "hotter" referred to.. And it is measureable. There could be an official "Torch Performance" chart, which could be used to compare torch-to-torch... but that would be for an entirely different, new thread - which I would gladly contribute to.

Blessings
Old 2006-05-30, 10:30am

Buster, could you tell me the type equipment that would be necessary in order to determine btu? Is this something that would need to be done under laboratory conditions by someone with a huge amount of equipment, or could it be done by someone holding a thermometer in the flame, lol.

So, a torch can be designed to effectively provide more heat using less oxy/fuel. It's nice to hear that verified by someone with your knowledge. It has been my feeling for years that the GTT torches as a whole run much hotter than other torches, so I assumed their oxy consumption was very high. When I started using the one I obtained, I was surprised that it actually was using what I thought was less oxy than the torch I was using before, doing the same work. Thanks for that insight.

And please don't let Brent's attitude turn you against Kimberly. She is very knowledgeable regarding the GTT line of torches, as well as other torches. She gives a lot of good advice here on the forum, just as you have done. She does get her dander up when she perceives that her so's company is being maligned. And I know for a fact that the website was not being manned by Willy and Wally until fairly recently. I know that as of approximately a year ago, by my memory, I still couldn't get in touch with them that way.

So, I just got off the phone with Wally, and he says firmly that the Bobcat is around 10 cf/h. He hasn't gotten to that one yet with the new equipment, but that he believes it will test out at 10. Final authority. He also says he did not take over the website until approximately May of 2005, so if you have an email purportedly signed by him, it was not him, and he apologizes for the wrong info you got. He is in the midst of doing all the testing of all the GTT torches and the results will be put on the website when he is finished.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pam; 2006-05-30 at 11:13am.
Old 2006-05-30, 10:57am
PyronamixK

Mr. Smiley 2006-05-30 4:55am

You know, someone else told Lewis that he didn’t know how to run the ‘cuda, as well. Think about what you are implying… Lewis Wilson has had over thirty years full-time lampworking experience. He knows how to dial in a flame. If Lewis Wilson could not dial in the correct flame on a ‘cuda, what does that say for the average lampworker?

I sure wish you would stop slamming Bethlehem all over the place Miss Kimberly. GTT's are good torches, but not the only game in town. Just because the torch cuts through a 5/8" rod a little faster, doesn't mean it's better. Especially if the Cuda wasn't set right. The Cuda even beat the GTT in one test. If it was a real test and has nothing to do with settings, how did this snafu happen? If a GTT is always better or faster, how did the Cuda out perform it by one user in one situation? Maybe he had the Cuda dialed in correctly... This is such crap.

The scope of this discussion, until you involved yourself, was heat and its relation to oxygen consumption. That’s it. I did not say that one torch was “better” than another. In fact, I said, “Deciding which torch fits which application is best determined through testing. The way artists work is not a constant that you could plug into a neat little formula. It would be great if it were that simple. Everyone has a different working style. Everyone has preferences. GTT has great plans for the website. It will eventually contain lots of very useful information. But, even with every possible spec out there up for public consumption, nothing beats sitting behind a torch and trying out it for oneself.”

Even if the Barracuda were a little bit hotter than a Lynx, so what? Would two seconds faster melt time make up for three times the oxygen consumption?

That is the topic of discussion – oxygen consumption.

The little bobkitty you've got there will not out perform a Piranha. One more jet makes zero difference, port size is a factor as well. It's the way the fuel is used and mixed as it leaves the torch. The Piranha has been discontinued by Bethlehem because it was so close in price to the new Betta. Nothing more. No defects no slow sales... it's a great little torch.

I did not say that the Piranha was discontinued because it was defective. Heck, I didn’t even bring up that recall they had on them last year.

As far as the Bobcat outperforming a Piranha… Go ahead, test it out. Bring it.

GTT has been know to have several issues over the years and instead of addressing them, you guys keep side stepping and denying.

What issues? GTT has never had to recall any of its torches. GTT has never discontinued a line of torches.

Go work on the website and provide some really helpful technical data. Stop the torch wars! It's just plain silly the way you slip in little digs about Beth all the time and then claim you don't have anything against them. How about some honesty!!!!!

How is comparing technical specs slipping in digs? It sounds to me like you don’t like what you’re hearing.

Pam, feel free to come in here and say AGAIN, how nice and helpful Kimberly is...

Hold on to your hat Mythbuster... it's a rough ride when you tangle with this "one".
Old 2006-05-30, 10:59am
PyronamixK

(cont'd)

Mr. Smiley 2006-05-30 5:09am

This thread pretty much stayed on the topic of oxygen consumption until you came in.

Welcome to the forum Mythbuster... I hope you don't take Kimberly's attitude as the norm around here. I've been into it with her before and she likes to hit below the belt. It's something I've come to expect. I just hit back every once in a while. Good luck working this one out.

Hitting below the belt? You are the one who takes the discussion to a personal level. I stick to the topic. I present facts. Some people just don’t like the facts when they see them. And as far as hitting back once in a while, you have already stated elsewhere that you will argue with me every chance you get. You really should let it go, Brent. You are a representative of Bethlehem. You sell their torches, everyone knows that. You are a bad reflection on that company.

pam 2006-05-30 5:22am
I guess, for myself, I wasn't thinking of using the figures to determine which torch is hotter. Perhaps my 18 years of using a torch makes me not even question that a torch with more ports may not be as hot as a torch with fewer ports, or a torch that uses more oxy may not be as hot as one that uses less oxy. I really think the chart would be great for determining which oxy supply to use.

Oh, I agree, Pam. Such a chart would be very useful for determining the oxygen needs of a torch. It is just important to realize that oxygen usage does not always directly translate into heat output. The Lynx uses 1/3 the oxygen of the Barracuda and puts out a similar amount of heat.

Kimberly is right about the heat being unrelated to the oxy/fuel consumption. I have a PM2D, a Starfire (predecessor to the Barracuda) and a Cheetah, plus Minors. Although the two larger torches have many more ports and uses much more oxy, they do not melt glass as fast as the Cheetah. I would say, in a layman's vernacular, that they are not as hot.

It's always amazing to me the information you receive when people start discussing something like this. So, Kimberly, you are saying that the Barracuda has slightly less than twice as many oxy jets as it does fuel jets.

The Barracuda has as many propane jets as oxygen jets for the center fire (six and six). On the outerfire, it has twice as many oxygen jets as propane jets (twenty-four and twelve).

I find that really interesting considering the slightly reductive flame atmosphere of that torch. So, does that mean that perhaps the fuel ports are larger than the oxy ports to create this slightly reductive atmosphere, or is there some other information that plays into flame atmosphere?

Actually, it appears that the fuel ports are smaller than the oxygen ports on the outer fire.

The Lynx, as described, has an equal amount of fuel ports to oxy ports and it has a more oxygenated flame, when comparing the two you would think the Barracuda would have the oxy rich flame.

You would think.

Just perhaps, Buster, companies that do not publish their cf/h numbers feel that it is trade secret. I know, for instance, that the triple-mix torch was the invention of GTT and it could - (not saying they do) - be that they consider publishing that info as trade secret, even though they are willing to give it out to those who ask. Or maybe they don't publish that info because they feel that the info may give a false picture of how the torches perform, since if you use the amount of oxy/fuel consumed it doesn't seem to convey which torch runs the hottest.

Very interesting.

The cf/h numbers do give a false picture of torches’ performances, but the biggest reason that the info isn’t up on the GTT site is that, well, the site is incomplete.

Just posted and read Brent's rants, so decided to add, thank you, Kimberly, for being so helpful.

You’re welcome.

And Brent, I will agree with you that for certain situations the Barracuda would be better to use than the Lynx, which it is being compared to.

Again, I want to point out that I made the comparison of the Lynx to the Barracuda to demonstrate how oxygen consumption does not always accurately predict heat. The Baracuda is a fine torch. Lots of people use them. People have their preferences. But, I will say that I can get a GTT to imitate just about any flame characteristic out there, so to me, it has the most versatility (that is one thing that we hope to include on the website – dialing in the various flames). But, if someone likes a different torch, they like a different torch. I don’t have a problem with that. I only have a problem when people intentionally put out misinformation about things.

The Barracuda works tubing or anything that requires radiant heat much better than the more focused flame of the Lynx. I love the Beth torches and have nothing against them. I am willing to look at both manufacturers' torches dispassionately. I invested $750 for my Starfire and $1150 for the PM2D with Beth and I have never regretted buying them. They are still great torches. However, for the $550 I spent on the Cheetah, it is a much hotter torch, in my opinion, and a much better torch for my application.

Mr. Smiley 2006-05-30 5:40am
I'm running a Cheetah and Cuda on the same oxy concentrators and the Cuda is hands down hotter over a larger area, can get a more pin point flame and is just more versatile. It melts larger gathers of glass faster and has a much bigger flame. I guess it really does depend on whose running them and what they are using them for.

Yes, it all depends on who is running the torch, since I have heard other glassworkers make claims to the contrary of what you just posted.

Now, if I ONLY want a super focused laser cutting flame to melt through a big rod, I'd probably choose the GTT for the job. The faster flame transfers a penetrating heat to the core. That is a super focused fast flame though and it has limited uses. I work on both all the time. It depends on my mood. If I had to give one up, the Cheetah is hitting the bricks.

The flame can be focused when you want it to be focused. Otherwise, it can be run just like a standard torch.

Mr. Smiley 2006-05-30 5:46am

http://www.thegldg.com/forum/showthr...ghlight=patent

This link takes you to the GLDG... a great site with lots of info. It's mostly boro workers and our very own Misha is Queen Mod there. Check the site out if you have some time... it's got lot's of useful discussions about torches.

Arrrh, aye, matey, take a good look at the patent. You will see where Bethlehem got the information for the cooling system used by the Betta.

pam 2006-05-30 5:53am
I agree with you, Brent, it all depends on whose running them and what they are using them for. If I had to get rid of one of my torches, it would break my heart, because they each have their uses, but since I haven't used the PM2D or the Starfire since I learned to use the Cheetah, the Cheetah is definitely staying. Let's see, I could make a statement like, in my opinion Beth torches are just not beadmaking torches, but I wouldn't do that because I am smart enough to realize that what works for me and my work is different than what works for someone else and their work. Beth makes fine torches, as does GTT, and each person has to determine for themselves what works best for them.

I agree, Pam. I have my preferences, and I have my reasons for those preferences. It is up to each individual to determine what torch works best for them.

Mr. Smiley 2006-05-30 6:02am
You could make that statement and I wouldn't attack you for it, belittle you or say you just don't know what you are doing... neither would the wife / fiance / or girlfriend of an owner from Bethlehem. I've got more class than that.

We all know about what kind of class you have, Brent. The things you post in the Bathroom and the Bedroom on this site speak volumes. The way you treat me on this forum speaks quite loudly, as well.

Mr. Smiley 2006-05-30 6:42am

I made the statement that GTT was a boro torch in my opinion. That Beths made a good cross over torch, to do both soft and hard glass. That if you were working soft glass exclusively, a Minor or Mini would do the trick. All, just my opinion on what torches fit best based on my experience. It drug out into a 3 or 4 day fight. Kimberly tore me a new one by attacking my motives and my ability to run a torch. Apparently, I'm not allowed to make a statement like that. Of course you can work soft glass on a GTT... I just think it's best suited for boro.

Oh, Brent, you know you said more than just that…

There, now hopefully that last little dig Pam and I exchanged will make more sense. Be careful around here folks. Opinions about torches can get you into big trouble... really!

Well, opinions won’t get you into trouble, but out and out false claims will.

A lot of past baggage comes into play when there is ever a discussion about torches. Willy and Wally used to work for Bethlehem before splitting and forming GTT.

No, they did not “split” and form GTT. I wrote the entire explanation on that GLDG thread you referenced. If anyone is interested, I can copy it and paste it over here. While I’m at it, I might just go into more detail about the situation. Man, if you think the Wal-Mart photolab is a dangerous place to work…

Their parting was not on good terms. Kimberly is engaged to Willy. It's a bunch of torch company politics and past hurt feelings. I just wish people would admit it and be honest. Don't say you have nothing against Bethlehem and then sling mud at them every chance you get. Be honest and let every one know why you are so negative towards the Bethlehem line of torches. Kimberly, It's OK not to like somebody or a company... you're not going to like everybody or support a company that has left a bad taste in your mouth... it's human nature.

Brent, slinging mud is one thing, presenting data is another. Let’s get that straight. And as far as being bitter about Bethlehem, I’m not. Willy and Wally are not. They have often said that when Bethlehem kicked them out the door, that was the best thing they could have ever done for them. They take the negatives in life and turn them into positive. That’s a lesson a lot of people should learn.
Old 2006-05-30, 11:00am
PyronamixK

(cont'd some more)

Mr. Smiley 2006-05-30 7:07am
You posted erroneous information. I gave you the correct information. I did not fault you for it, as it seemed to be an honest mistake. After all, you had an email with those figures. I never called you a liar. But, nonetheless, you then get defensive and take on a tone of sarcasm and start swinging at GTT for something that was quite literally out of their control.

OK, so GTT had somebody handling THEIR website and it was out of their control??? How is that even remotely possible? Did the guy sending the information hack the site? Nope, they were hired. Now, they are the scape goat for the "misinformation".

I already explained how that happened. Do you really think that if Willy and Wally had direct control of that site, it would contain the errors that it does? The pictures are skewed and there are misspellings. I do have a few HTML skills, certainly enough to have corrected those mistakes.

You don't work for GTT. I asked Wally and he said you have NOTHING to do with GTT. Is that their next defense if YOU give out misinformation?

Yeah, right.

It’s true, I am not on payroll. I post my opinions and I post technical information. When I have questions about something, I ask Willy and Wally. When I make a mistake about something, I correct it. I’m not hiding anything. And, they are not hiding behind me. What I post is ultimately my responsibility, but if I say that something comes from them, it does. I you doubt a figure that I post, Brent, call GTT and ask for yourself.

All Mythbuster is saying is the same thing I've said... the same thing a LOT of people have said... publish it on the site. Don't trickle it out here and there... post it! Then GTT would have fewer phone questions to answer and more time to build torches. Maybe the several month waiting list would get shorter. It would be good for GTT and the whole flame working community to have that info online.

Yes, I agree that having information would be beneficial to everybody. That is something that is in the works (and has been for quite a while). There is a lot going on “behind the scenes” that you have no idea about. The GTT website is not complete. No one ever said that it was. In the meantime, I am on here doing what I can to answer questions and help people.

Does it contracdict the efficiency claims? I don't know...

Of course not.

Also, Lance at Flametree has always told people to leave the blue knob at least cracked. He is notorious for coming up behind students and readjusting their flame setting, so the torch doesn't get "damaged". Is he being too careful or is it as you suggested in other threads, an easy torch to run and safe at all settings (with one candle length requirement for a soft flame)... I've also heard he is certified to work on GTT's. Is this true or more misinformation? There seems to be so much misinformation surrounding GTT, my head spins and I'm sure I'm not the only one. GTT needs to handle their business better and personally. Please ask them to publish the data. JMHO

I went into great lengths on another thread describing how many different ways you can run a GTT. I should take all that info and start a thread with that information. Maybe you could make it a sticky.

Lance is not certified to work on GTTs. No one is. As far as whether or not he was being “too careful,” I would not know. I would have to see for myself what kind of flame a person had dialed in. But I will say that Lance of Flametree Glass Supplies has EXTENSIVE knowledge of GTT torches. He also knows how to run a GTT for soft glass very effectively. Pity, you didn’t go in and let him show you the correct way to run your Mirage for soft glass when he was still in Florida. You could have learned something.

There is a lot of misinformation out there. Who do you think puts it out? I have a good idea from whence a lot of it comes. I know where one of the biggest bits of information came from – straight out of Bruce’s mouth at a GAS conference show in Florida. So, if you would like to discuss where these rumors originate, I’ll be happy to oblige.

GTT does handle its business well. They handle it personally over the telephone, as well. What other torch company can you call and speak directly to the inventor of the torch they sell?

So, there you go.
Old 2006-05-30, 11:26am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythBuster
Whatever.

Unhijacking this thread... and returning to the original intent...where the starter was gathering information to make a well informed decision about matching an oxygen system to a torch.

When we do have a chart of what it takes to feed specific torches, in terms of fuel and oxygen, cf/h-lpm, and psi (official info supplied by the torch maker - not girl friends)...
Are you implying that a woman, a girlfriend, cannot be as intelligent as you? Keep in mind that I am a lampworker, as well. I have been working glass since 1990. I think I have picked up a thing or two during my adventures.

If you doubt the validity of the numbers I have presented, then call Wally for yourself. That's what I did. I called him up and said, "Hey, Wally, what is the flow rate of these torches?" I even repeated the numbers back to him before I posted. You can email him, too, since the emails now go directly to him. Just don't use that old address from 2004.

Quote:
compared with a chart of what specific concentrators can supply in terms of lpm, psi, and purity (also official info), then the two charts can be brought side by side for a lampworker's informed torch/fuel/oxygen system selection process.

This information is not being used to "pick a torch", but to determine what is needed in terms of a fuel/oxygen supply system to feed it... to get it to work... at minimum/maximum performance... whatever that "performance" might be.
That is a good idea.

Quote:
The pedestrian terminology of "miles per gallon", if directly applied to this, would be "hours (miles) per cubic foot (gallons)" of torch time. 200 cf tank with 10 cf/h torch, equals 20 hours of torch time. This can also be applied as follows: Knowing that the torch operates at 10 cf/h tells me that I need a oxygen system that can deliver 10 cf/h, if I expect to operate the torch at optimal design levels.
There are so many variables and there are so many different ways to approach the situation. It isn't black and white.

Quote:
Of course, the key to all this is getting information directly from the manufacturer... and since, Kimberly dear, you are NOT the manufacturer, I take everthing you purport about GTT (and other) torches with a grain of salt...
That's o.k., MB, since you are neither a torch manufacturer nor a lampworker, I will take everything you say with a grain of salt, as well. In fact, I will take it with two grains, sir.

Quote:
In fact... I will no longer waste my time responding to your tomaceous diatribes.
So, how is it that a person with no lampworking experience and fewer than 10 posts under his belt can come on here and start trying to discredit me and the information I present? The things that I post are easily verifiable by a simple phone call. What do you offer as proof of your arguments? A little something you typed up?

You know, that email you posted... well, all we have is your word that that was the actual email. Further, we only have your word that you were originally inquiring about just the Bobcat. Could you have possibly asked the cf/h of the Phantom and the recommended psi for the Bobcat? Did you keep a hard copy of your original query? Do you see where I'm going with this?

I would not come on here and post numbers that I could not back up. I also, would not hang on to a nineteen month old piece of paper of questionable origin as if were my "salvation."

Your screenname is certainly a misnomer. You seem so set on ignoring corrected information. You are quite comfortable in your own little reality where hey, you got it straight from a website and websites are never wrong.

Quote:
Now is there more??? Pam is 100% completely correct that oxygen flow is not the true determiner of heat output. It is how well (efficiently) a torch design can convert a cubic foot of propane into something else, and while doing so, exothermically release large amounts of heat. Heat that can be measured in btu/h and btu/cf density. That's the "hotter" referred to.. And it is measureable. There could be an official "Torch Performance" chart, which could be used to compare torch-to-torch... but that would be for an entirely different, new thread - which I would gladly contribute to.

Blessings
Yes, if you could contribute formulas, that would be great.

Back to the original direction of this thread...

There are reasons people recommend 5 LPM vs. 10 LPM for a torch. When someone recommends a 5 lpm machine for a Bobcat, for instance, it is because the Bobcat actually maxes out on one 5 LPM concentrator, provided that concentrator is working correctly.

Other torches require more LPM. They can run on less, but you will not get top performance out of the torch. But in many cases, as Pam pointed out earlier, you may not need to get top performance out of that torch for your application.

A chart showing oxygen usage would be helpful insofar as showing someone how much oxygen would be required to run that particular torch to the fullest of its ability. It does not indicate how well a torch runs when fed less oxygen.
Old 2006-05-30, 11:37am
PyronamixK

PS "tomaceous" is not a word. It is funny though, that you would use "tomaceous diatribe" together... have you been gardening or trying to kill fleas (diatomaceous earth on your mind)?

Anyway, keep in mind that my post was in response to the tone you took, first.
Old 2006-05-30, 12:28pm
Safety ALWAYS

sigh...this is what happens every time an engineer comes onto a forum on a subject he knows nothing about and starts to spew his ignorance all over the place.

I'm discounting Bent's contribution to this because he's in a bad place right now, and given the history between him and Kimberly, there's just no other way to handle it other than to ignore it as the continual snipings of a competitor (yes, you Brent).

However, "MythBuster", you, sir, are a piece of work. Let's just say that I believe your claim to fame and forture by working "supposedly" for NASA or one of their subcontractors is a load of hooey. All you've succeeded in doing is stirring a pot, one that needed no stirring. You've brought nothing new to the table, and when faced with obvious lies and deceptions, you choose not to respond and end the conversation with a rude and uncalled for put down.

Shame on you sir, and your damned impudence, sir!

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-05-30, 1:29pm
boro color bender

I am not a Bethlehem representative. Period. No ties to Bethlehem. I resell their torches, but have zero affiliation. It's like saying Walmart represent's Sony...

Yep, I don't like Kimberly. Case in point, she again referred to my ability to run a torch. I spent well over two years running that Mirage 8 hours a day 6 days a week. I know what it can do. I have probably spent more time behind a GTT than you Miss Kimberly. Thank you very much.

Mike, thanks again for coming in and expressing your opinion on us. It's always a pleasure to hear your take on our mental health and unethical behavior.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-05-30, 1:44pm
boro color bender

I will also admit to having a sense of humor. It may be a bit colorful or taboo to some people (check the bedroom and the bathroom. There's some funny stuff in there), but I don't treat people badly... well, Mike and Kimberly occasionally... but that doesn't really count. That's just fun stuff. We'll call it my online evil vice.

Oh, worked on a Bobcat today at Traci's... still don't like 'em.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-05-30, 2:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
sigh...this is what happens every time an engineer comes onto a forum on a subject he knows nothing about and starts to spew his ignorance all over the place.

However, "MythBuster", you, sir, are a piece of work. Let's just say that I believe your claim to fame and forture by working "supposedly" for NASA or one of their subcontractors is a load of hooey. All you've succeeded in doing is stirring a pot, one that needed no stirring. You've brought nothing new to the table, and when faced with obvious lies and deceptions, you choose not to respond and end the conversation with a rude and uncalled for put down.

Shame on you sir, and your damned impudence, sir!
Thank you Mike,
Here for edification is one plaque off my wall... the flag was flown aboard the second flight of Columbia, 1981.
Signed by Astronausts Engel and Truly.
Presented to me "in recognition of the significant contribution you made to the success..."
Yes, I taped out my name... not looking for your recognition.
Flags a little yellowed after all these years... sort like me.

I was just commenting to myself about how much time I had devoted to this over that last few days.
Thought it was helpful... worth the time to make a contribution.
But your post was the last straw.
Clearly you and Kimberly have it all under control.
Frankly, I don't have time for this. Literally.
I'll go and delete my membership now and get out of your way.
Goodbye
Old 2006-05-30, 3:21pm
Safety ALWAYS

Quote:
Mike, thanks again for coming in and expressing your opinion on us. It's always a pleasure to hear your take on our mental health and unethical behavior.
Any time, Brent!

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-05-30, 3:24pm
Safety ALWAYS

Quote:
I'll go and delete my membership now and get out of your way.
Goodbye
Interesting...question someone's background and they run away...

I could say something like "don't let the door hit your ass on the way out", but that would be a bit over the top and probably deleted, so I'll just let it ride

Old 2006-05-30, 3:30pm
boro color bender

Don't go, you make sense and we need that around here. I've got to have somebody help me herd these cats.

Mike, you talk about me being rude to Kimberly. Damn dude! You take the cake. This guy is smart and was trying to make sense of this for everybody's bennefit. I guess that scares you... is it another rooster in the hen house thing or what?

Old 2006-05-30, 4:28pm

Good grief.
Ok...so running my Betta....should I keep the concentrator LPM all the way up to 5+? If I buy another concentrator and connect them, should I leave them both open to 5+? I have my oxygen control on my Betta screwed all the way open is why I think I need another concentrator. Although the Betta melts my soft glass FAST and it runs HOT....perhaps I don't need another concentrator?

(website in construction)
Old 2006-05-30, 4:42pm
boro color bender

Rose... another concentrator with them turned down to about 4-4.5 LPM would give you better purity and a lot more heat.

Old 2006-05-30, 4:48pm
PyronamixK

I wouldn't run a 5 LPM machine over the 5 LPM mark, because you will shorten the life of the seive beds by doing that. If it is running correctly, you should be able to run a 5 LPM concentrator at 5 LPM and still maintain good purity. If your concentrator is having problems, and you are only able to get good purity at lower LPM settings, then maybe you should look into getting another/additional concentrator. What psi does your concentrator put out?

Bethlehem lists the oxygen flowrate for the Betta at 5.5 LPM (332.3 liters per hour) at 20 psi.

The Betta is marketed as a torch for use with one concentrator.
Old 2006-05-30, 4:51pm
Safety ALWAYS

hahahahahahaha...Damn, Brent, you crack me up sometimes...a little like the pot calling the kettle black, eh?

Old 2006-05-30, 5:36pm
boro color bender

Yeah man... I guess we can both be rude... but you had no reason to go off on that guy, unless there was something in a PM I don't know about. If you don't have anything to add to this conversation, other than your enlightened perspective on how we are treating eachother, go contribute else where.

You can run the Betta on a single concentrator, but you'll get even more out of it with two. All concentrators lose purity the higher you go on the output. It may not drop below exceptable levels, but if you need more heat than what your concentrator is providing, more fuel and oxy do that.

Old 2006-05-30, 6:08pm

OK...getting another concentrator. I've got so dang much money invested in this glass hobby what is another couple of hundred. Sigh....

(website in construction)
Old 2006-05-30, 6:29pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectiblesbyrose
OK...getting another concentrator. I've got so dang much money invested in this glass hobby what is another couple of hundred. Sigh....
Well, if you want to get the most out of your torch, then look at getting a concentrator that put outs a lot of psi. Flow isn't everything.
Old 2006-05-30, 6:37pm
boro color bender

With the Betta, available oxy is everything. It's designed to run on lower pressures, but can use the available flow of two regular concentrators at those lower pressures to get more heat.

Old 2006-05-30, 6:39pm
PyronamixK

Oh, and in Mike's defense... take a good look back at this thread and take note of who was the first preson to be rude. It wasn't me. It wasn't Mike. Heck, this time, it wasn't even you.

And as far as contributing useful information to this thread, you only did that very recently.

I really feel that it would be a good idea to put out what purity at what LPM each concentrator puts out. If a machine is called a 10 LPM machine, it should put out 10 LPM at acceptable purity. If it only puts out acceptable purity at 7.5 LPM or lower, then it should be called a 7.5 LPM machine.
Old 2006-05-30, 6:50pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
With the Betta, available oxy is everything. It's designed to run on lower pressures, but can use the available flow of two regular concentrators at those lower pressures to get more heat.
Then why do they list the specs with the torch running at 20 psi? Just askin'.
Old 2006-05-30, 7:09pm
boro color bender

If you haven't tested or used a Betta, how about letting somebody that has field the questions... since you think Beth makes a fine product and you say you don't have an agenda, maybe now would be a good time to prove it and bow out. Just sayin.

Old 2006-05-30, 7:12pm
boro color bender

The torch performs well from 3-20 PSI of oxy... Hope this answers the question and clears up the water trying to be muddied.

Old 2006-05-30, 7:16pm
boro color bender

Here are the specs on the Betta. I think you'll find the entire Beth website very helpful.

http://www.bethlehemburners.com/betta.htm

Old 2006-05-30, 7:26pm
PyronamixK

Well, Rose asked a question about whether adding a second concentrator would be beneficial. I just brought up the specs and discussed it from the technical standpoint. No ulterior motives there. I am simply pointing out that when someone puts out that the maximum performance of a torch is attainable at a certain psi, then if the user wants to achieve that maximum performance, then they, too, should use that psi. That is not to say that the user would not attain satisfactory results at a lower psi - just not the maximum performance. As was mentioned earlier, first by Pam and then later echoed by me, not everyone wants or needs to work a torch to its fullest ability.

But, if you are looking at buying equipment anyway, then why not at least look into the possibility of getting as much as you can for your torch? It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Old 2006-05-30, 7:57pm
boro color bender

nice save...

Old 2006-05-30, 8:12pm

All the arguing!!