TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2009-11-22, 8:15pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Default Icicle Tutorial

Just in time for your holiday gift planning here is my tutorial for icicles.
They have been a big hit for me, both in selling venues and for presents.
You know that person you want to give a little something to?
Your kids teacher, the mailman, your hairdresser. Icicles make the perfect gift without breaking the bank.
They are fun and easy to make once you get the hang of them.

These are made of borosilicate glass.
This tutorial has been tested by soft glass workers who have never worked with boro glass before. They had wonderful results working in boro for the first time.

$7.99

The tutorial is available for purchase through my website.
Now available on Etsy also

Hope you enjoy and Happy Holidays!
Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Shawn T; 2010-11-15 at 5:36pm.
Old 2009-11-22, 8:20pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

you link has two https in it

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-11-22, 8:28pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Thanks Squid.
I should have checked that.

Old 2009-11-22, 8:30pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

They are beautiful!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-11-22, 9:56pm

Thanks Shawn! I just purchased one - I can't wait to try it!!!!!
Jenny

Old 2009-11-22, 10:17pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Thanks Squid.

Thanks Jenny yours is on it's way to you.

I forgot to mention if you don't want to go all the way through the check out on my website. You can also just Paypal the $7.99 to my address on the link provided.
Just make sure you mention it is for the icicle tutorial.

I will work on a short cut within my shopping cart to fix that.

Old 2009-11-23, 5:29am
Boro Bum

Just ordered mine this looks like fun

thx
AcidFly
Old 2009-11-23, 9:14am

What a great idea. Just ordered it- A great solution for some xmas gifts too!!!
Old 2009-11-23, 11:06am
Surrounded by Trouble

Thank You Acidfly.
Yours and everyone who ordered in the wee hours of the night was sent this morning.

Julia, Thanks the people I have given them to have really enjoyed them. Not to mention they sell well.

Old 2009-11-23, 4:12pm

Wooo hoo - just ordered one

Old 2009-11-23, 4:37pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by effemess View Post
Wooo hoo - just ordered one
Thanks it is already on the way to you.

Old 2009-11-24, 12:38pm
formerly JewelsByJenny

Oooh oooh! I just paypal'd you!

Jenny

Old 2009-11-24, 2:21pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Thanks Jenny, just sent you the tut.

Sorry I was back at the grocery store AGAIN.
I should count how many trips I make to the grocery store this year.
I love to host Thanksgiving, but the grocery store is not my favorite place.

Old 2009-11-24, 5:29pm
Boro Bum

Question might sound dumb lol I'm trying to use bullseye but I don't have the size rod you want us to use.
How do i turn a a 5-6 mm rod into a 10mm rod ? I know i can get the ball end up to size but the shank is to small and I don't get the taper I'm looking for.

Thx
AcidFly
Old 2009-11-24, 7:47pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFly View Post
Question might sound dumb lol I'm trying to use bullseye but I don't have the size rod you want us to use.
How do i turn a a 5-6 mm rod into a 10mm rod ? I know i can get the ball end up to size but the shank is to small and I don't get the taper I'm looking for.

Thx
AcidFly
I wish I could tell you to put it in a magic box, wave a wand around it and poof your 5mm rod would be a 10mm rod.

In all reality if you had asked me what I would have done if I wanted to make these in soft glass you're on the right track. As I would have told you to use Bullseye. It is stiffer so will lend itself better to this type of tutorial.
Now back to your rod size problem, the only thing I can think of is to try and double your rod by folding it over.
Heat your rod up about 3 inches down let it fold over on top of itself, so you can double up the size of your rod. Melt it in, and smooth it out. You might need to pull it out a bit so you have a nice even rod.
Now start the tut and see how it works.

Old 2009-11-24, 7:57pm
Booger #7

They are lovely and I can't wait to try them for myself!

Old 2009-11-26, 11:10am
"Sinners have soul too"

Hope it's okay to post a pic of the icicles I made following Shawn's tutorial...

The loops are a little off center, but I had an epiphany last night about keeping things on center... hopefully I can give these another go tomorrow

Thanks Shawn, I had so much fun playing with the boro yesterday. Your tutorial is clear and easy to follow, nicely done

Old 2009-11-27, 3:18pm
formerly JewelsByJenny

zen-mom, those are gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing them. Seeing what other people make with the tutorials is just as fun

Jenny

Old 2009-11-27, 3:20pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Thanks Jenny! I had fun making them

Old 2009-11-27, 4:33pm
Booger #7

I made some last night and my kids have already snagged them and hung them up in their bedroom windows!

Old 2009-11-27, 5:31pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Donna, Your icicles came out wonderful!
Keeping your loops on center can be tricky at first if you heat them too much. If you are still having a difficult time with them let me know and I will give you some tips.

Sue, Would love to see some of the ones you made also.
I have had a lot of people tell me they are hanging them in windows. I bet they look beautiful there.

Old 2009-11-27, 5:40pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Yeah, I think I need to take it little slower between making the loop and the next step. It was lots of fun and I was especially happy to see that the red I used actually was a very nice red, not too dark and it struck mostly in the kiln In case anyone is wondering which red it is it's TAG Lt Red Elvis.

Old 2009-12-03, 4:48pm
Pink-tini anyone?

Those turned out pretty Donna!

Here's a couple I've made...and I can not STOP making them! Love this tut Shawn!

Old 2009-12-17, 10:44am

I'm having fun with these, but what do I anneal them at?
Old 2009-12-17, 11:39am

wow janie!!!!!!!!
I got the tutorial and I am waiting to get my peter's tweezers from frantz and the I can try it!!!!!!!!!

Old 2009-12-17, 11:40am

donna, those are great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 2009-12-17, 3:11pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliac View Post
I'm having fun with these, but what do I anneal them at?
Julia,

I anneal them with my regular boro annealing schedule.
I use currently use one I got from Brent.
Here it is for anyone who needs a boro annealing schedule.

Ramp up to 1075- Hold and garage at this temp.
When finished for the day hold for at least an hour an soak at 1075, longer for thicker pendants or larger pieces.
Ramp down to 950 at 60 degrees per hour.
Hold at 950 (near strain point) for about 30 minutes.
Then I turn and let the kiln cool on it's own.

*Note* I do have a Glasshive kiln that holds the heat well. So if I let it cool down from 950 it takes hours to reach room temp. I have woken up the next morning to find my kiln still at 400 degrees.

The above schedule works well for the amber purple colors and striking colors that strike to purple and pinks. If you are working with rubies you will want your first soak at a lower temp or your reds will become livery looking.

Some colors do like to be kiln stuck at a much higher temp, as high at 1175. I don't usually kiln strike anything, I do flame strike many colors.
I have left the same set of beads or pendant and ran kiln 3 or 4 times. Getting beautiful results from some beads that didn't strike in the flame. Of course I ran my kiln while working on new pieces.

Janie, those are Beautiful!
Josie, try them with the shepherds hook, you can make them without any tools.
I have to make more tonight as I think I only have about 5 left. I sold so many this year I lost count. I still have the teachers gifts to go.

Old 2009-12-17, 8:10pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Well, I don't know how I missed this one, but I can't wait!! Thanks, Shawn...
Pat
Old 2009-12-18, 7:59am

Thanks Shawn!
Old 2010-01-01, 8:56pm

Wonderful looking icicles, I would love to make some for my tree next year. I will have to get my bigger torch going and then get this tut. My wish list keeps getting longer and longer
Sandra

face="Comic Sans MS">http://www.adornedintreasure.etsy.com