LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2009-08-31, 2:55pm
I love glass

Default Hurricane oxycon acting weird

My hurricane oxycon is making very weird, loud noises when it warms up. Has anyone else had this problem? It is only a year old and I haven't even used it much. Oh well, just my luck. I think it only has a year warranty too.

Update: I have posted a link to the video showing the weird noise it is making. Please scroll down to post #39.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by infinitecharms; 2010-02-24 at 10:25pm. Reason: added an update
Old 2009-09-02, 6:53am
I fart diamonds

They have a 3 year warranty.

Old 2009-09-03, 11:40pm

Mine has been doing the same thing! Mine is about 10mo old and I use it about 40-50 hrs a week.

I plan to call Jack, but first wanted to change out my torch (to my back up torch) first and compare how it does on the other,

Yikes, I have 2 other reconditioned concentrators but really need my Hurricane for boro!

I hate the idea of packaging up & shipping the thing back!

Am hoping for a miracle equipment "healing"

Jolene
Old 2009-09-04, 6:18pm

Now you got me worried, I am thinking of importing one, as I live in Austalia. I will be useing it with my cheetah torch to work boro glass. Please keep us posted as to what happens with your hurricans. Thanks, Cynthia in Australia
Old 2009-09-05, 12:40am
sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrakat123 View Post
Now you got me worried, I am thinking of importing one, as I live in Austalia. I will be useing it with my cheetah torch to work boro glass. Please keep us posted as to what happens with your hurricans. Thanks, Cynthia in Australia
Cynthia, if you live in Australia then you should look at the Airsep these machines are sold and serviced in sydney and I know people who have been using them for 3 or 4 years with no problems, they put out 8 LPM at 20 PSI which would be enough to run a cheetah for small boro, I ran a cheetah on an OG 20 for some years I now run a Phantom on 2 OG20s it is all possible here in Australia.
cheers, Bernard
Old 2009-09-05, 9:59pm
Flamewoman

I had 2 different Hurricane's. Both died. I had a hell of a time getting my money back when the one exchanged for the first one, (lasted 6 mos.) had an internal electrical fire.
Both machines were loud, ran HOT, I mean really hot, they heated up my studio like you can't believe. I think the owner of the company that makes these has good intentions, but is not reliable when it comes to problems. I would never deal with UO again. The way these machines are packed for shipping is a big part of the problem. I am not the only one with this type of experience, by far.
Good Luck, you will need it.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2009-09-10, 7:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitecharms View Post
My hurricane oxycon is making very weird, loud noises when it warms up. Has anyone else had this problem? It is only a year old and I haven't even used it much. Oh well, just my luck. I think it only has a year warranty too.
You can call me. We may be able to trouble shoot over the phone. We do try very hard but these units are very sensitive and a noise could be an early warning of problems. 866-955-0200 cell 317-937-8449

866-955-0200
3 year warranty & Life Time Support
PayPal address
Old 2009-10-17, 8:42am
Lampworker

i have 3 huricanes. had to send the first one back after 1.5 years for a compressor problem. the other two need work also. they are not putting out what they were when new (1 year ago). i love these machines, but they shipping them back and forth every year or two for repairs is not going to be fun.

im hoping we can fix the other two over the phone.
Old 2009-10-18, 2:40am

You will likely get jacked around if you bought it from Unlimited Oxygen lots of people have had issues with him dragging his feet

Old 2009-10-18, 12:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead crazy View Post
You will likely get jacked around if you bought it from Unlimited Oxygen lots of people have had issues with him dragging his feet
For the record Kirrikat bought a unit from ABR which is not a HURRICANE. I have been working with her anyway. I DONT DRAG MY FEET. I am one man doing the job of 4, just to be able to keep my doors open so I can continue to help the glass worker. I have sold hundreds of these machines and have only a handful of problems. I continue to try to improve on the units I sell.

866-955-0200
PayPal address
Old 2009-10-19, 3:59pm
Lampworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschooltofu View Post
i have 3 huricanes. had to send the first one back after 1.5 years for a compressor problem. the other two need work also. they are not putting out what they were when new (1 year ago). i love these machines, but they shipping them back and forth every year or two for repairs is not going to be fun.

im hoping we can fix the other two over the phone.
after shipping huricane #1 back, seems it was only the diaphram on the compressor.
well i took huricane #2 apart. and looks like a bad diaphram again.

jack is sending me 4 replacement diaphrams for free. so looks like ill be able to replace them my self when they/if go bad and ill save on shipping them back and forth.
Old 2009-10-19, 9:36pm

Good to hear!
Old 2009-10-19, 10:25pm
Dangerous Woman

Jack helped me with the hurricane I bought 2nd hand. He honered the warrenty and gave me great customer service. I can truthfully give Jack a thumbs up!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-10-20, 8:50am
Lampworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104 View Post
Jack helped me with the hurricane I bought 2nd hand. He honered the warrenty and gave me great customer service. I can truthfully give Jack a thumbs up!

jack is great. i just dont want to pay shipping 100$ each way to hve them serviced...wish there were a dealer in the NOrthwest

there really isnt much to these things. 2 compressors and a sive bed. and one other cylinder that i dont know what it is.

the sive bed should be good for a few years..and you can see if its working by th red lights on the inside.

the compressors are where the main moving parts are. seems like the diaphram in the compressor is the problem part, at least for me. cant wait to get new diaphrams in all my compressors.
Old 2010-01-20, 12:40pm
I love glass

Thanks everyone. I didn't even know I had replies to this question. The hurricane is still making the noise when it warms up so I haven't been using it. I am going to open it up and see what is going on in there. Then I will call Jack and see if we can troubleshoot it over the phone. I really don't want to ship it back. I'll let everyone know what happens.

Old 2010-02-24, 10:22pm
I love glass

I took a video of the nose it is making. I opened up the top of the Hurricane. It seems to be the big metal thing at the bottom that is the problem. I don't know what that is. Any suggestions? If you read this Jack, do you know what is going on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAyPXR2LHOA

Old 2010-02-25, 2:14pm
PyronamixK

It looks like something going on with a solenoid/valve. Jack will know. Did you call him, yet?
Old 2010-02-25, 3:30pm
I love glass

Thanks. No I haven't had a chance to call him. It has been a busy month but when I get a chance I will.

Old 2010-02-27, 2:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitecharms View Post
Thanks. No I haven't had a chance to call him. It has been a busy month but when I get a chance I will.
I listened to your video. The sound you hear is the relief valve. It is blowing off just like it should. Just before the unit switches, is the highest the pressure gets. When it switches the pressure drops to almost zero. Then it builds pressure again, then switches. I usually have something over the relief valve to silence it. If the unit is working ok, just put a piece of foam or something over the valve to quieten it. jack

866-955-0200
PayPal address
Old 2010-03-03, 5:41pm

Jack is the best.
I also got a M15 from some one that won it in a drawing and I ask Jack what I should do if it was a early model that might need a up date and he told me if I had anything go wrong He would fix it free of charge.
anyway 1 and a half years later no problems.It runs the outer flame of my Bullet just fine.
Thanks Jack for working on a better way for us to have oxy, in our work.
G.
Old 2010-03-03, 5:49pm
I love glass

Ok, thanks Jack. I just figured something was wrong with it because it took it awhile before it started making the noise, I will try putting a piece of foam over it.

Old 2010-03-04, 4:30pm

Default Thank you

Thank you G, for the nice words

866-955-0200
PayPal address
Old 2010-03-04, 4:50pm

I have a problem with my concentrator (5ltr devilbliss). It is a very quiet machine and it has just started turning off after 1 minute or so with the beeping going off to let me know. Does anyone have any idea how to fix it or what is wrong.
Thanks?
PS I live in Australia
Ali
Old 2010-03-07, 3:49pm
Lampworker

on the same subject, i just rebuilt two compressors from parts jack sent me. you need a torque wrench (lucky i had one) and new seals. its very tricky. took me about 3-4 tries to get it.

it takes about an hour-2 to do each one.

there is an oring and a diaphram seal that have been going bad. i feel these rubber pieces will always wear out after a year or so.

i am going to pay jack for some new seals and orings and start rebulding the compressors every 6 months to a year. since we are using them for 30-40h per week

hey jack, you should sell rebuild kits with instructions for the huricanes.

1) tool kit (2 star screwdrivers, and torque wrench, and pressure gauge)
2) rebuild kit (black and orange orings, new filter pad, new cork, diaphram and instructions)

its worth it to keep these machines running by doing the rebuild yourself instead of shipping it back and forth across the country.

thanks jack for all the help. these machines do save oxygen, they just need to be serviced every year or so
Old 2010-03-07, 4:30pm
I love glass

Thank you for the tips on rebuilding the compressors. I would rather do it myself than ship it back when mine needs replaced. How do you know when you need a new compressor? Does it just stop putting out air?

Old 2010-03-07, 7:24pm
Lampworker

mine have caused the flame to fluctuate. when your flame isnt stable or you feel like you cant get the flames u were getting, then its prob a seal in the compressor

it took me a long time to figure out how to get it all back together. the compressor companies dont want people to do it themselves, but its 100$ shipping each way for 2$ orings that need to be replced every .5-1 year.

i am doing research on where to get rebuild kits. some are expensive 86$ and some are 10$...the more expensive ones seem to come with instructions. now that i know how to get it back together, torque the screws, all i need are the seals and orings. if you dont, i would suggest getting the full kit with instructions

here is the expensive kit. http://www.mastertoolrepair.com/thom...its-p-190.html you might want to call them and make sure they are for the same model the compressor is a Thomas 100, each huricane has 2 compressors. ( i have not ordered this kit so i cant vouch for it)

http://www.oilfreecp.com/thomas2619.html
here are the less expensive parts, but i dont see our model (100) on this website, ill call them tomorrow.

edit: use the cup seals for 2650 model of this site but not the orings

Last edited by oldschooltofu; 2010-03-24 at 11:05am.
Old 2010-03-09, 9:17am
Lampworker

here is a link to the rebuild kits and parts needed for Huricane or the Extreme O2 concentrator (aka ex15). mostly what is going out is the orange oring (.50$) and the piston cup ($3.75)

http://www.oilfreecp.com/thomas2650-60.html

there are two tricks to putting the compressor back together so PM me if your going to attempt it. you will need a torque wrench with star attachement and star screwdriver.

i suggest taking the side pannels off , not the front or back.
Old 2010-03-13, 4:18pm
Torch junkie

Thanks for the info Old School. I sent my machine back to jack to be serviced a few months ago. Jack is a great guy and has always help me out, but for some of us mechanicly inclined people it would be a little more cost effective to have some sort of rebuild kit with the instructions available and I would definitely be interested.

"It's not the torch you have that makes you better. It's what you learn to do with the torch you have, that makes you better."
Old 2010-03-24, 10:49am
Lampworker

its not as easy as i thought.
these machines are a pain in the ass to deal with, the cases are a annoying to open and close. the insides are sharp from the screwholes i get cut almost every time i open one.

then i get it all back together and it wont give me constant flow. i have one machine flucuating from 5 to 15 lpm. and i have tried everything jack has told me to check. Jack serviced it 6 months ago.

right now i have 2 out of 3 working and am fustrated. i get it working and a few hours later it starts fluctuating again???

OHH and the orings on that site above are too thick they are a 139 and you need a 039 silicone. so get the cup seals there and the orings from oringswest or other oring distributer.

Last edited by oldschooltofu; 2010-03-24 at 11:03am.
Old 2010-03-24, 10:13pm
PyronamixK

I almost hate to interrupt this thread, but it sounds like you are frustrated, Ryan. I would hate to see anyone else facing the same frustration because they think the only high pressure options out there are the multi-thousand dollar generating systems (like I talked to you about before) and the Hurricane/Tornado/Psyclone type machines.

If you guys are looking for something that is reliable and puts out high pressure, but don't want to break the bank, I finally have something in the same general price range. I have reconditioned machines that put out 8 LPM at 20 psi. This is what the manufacturer built them to put out - they are not tweaked or hobbled together. I do not have them on my website, yet, because I am still testing them on various torches. Three hooked up together run my Phantom incredibly well. I will be making a video of the Phantom running on three of them and probably another video showing what maybe two or three would do on just the outerfire. I'm still experimenting and measuring, but everything looks encouraging, so far. These machines are nice and consistent. There's not the wide swings in LPM you see with the tweaked machines and the purity is 90% or better at 8 LPM.

I still love the Regalia and think that it is the best overall machine out there, but I wish I had these others a few years ago.