Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-11-24, 8:13pm

Default Will this kiln work??

I am very new to lampworking...ok, I barely know what I am doing. BUT, I did figure out that a kiln is a good thing if I want my beads to last.

I also figured out that most kilns are quite expensive.

However, browsing about craigslist, I found this:

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/art/2713750745.html

Will this work for lampwork beads? I don't even know what to look for or how to find out, so I am going straight to the experts.

Thanks!
Old 2011-11-24, 8:28pm
Fried Cat

It's been a long, long time since I was around ceramic kilns. Like 20 years. But I remember them from my earliest memories and I'm familiar with this particularly type.

The short answer is "No". The primary reason is because it's a top loader and garaging a bead would be impossible because every time you opened the top, you'd lose enough heat to crack the beads.

The more technical problem is that these kilns run on a method of cones and redness of those cones. Imagine a candy thermometer. The soft stage, the hard stage, the ball stage, the crackling stage. Ceramic kilns are about as convoluted. As I said, it's been decades since I've been around a ceramic kiln and if I remember right the temperature range is much broader than lamp working requires. Some glass can change colors with just a difference of 20-30 degrees. In fact: Here..

http://www.bigceramicstore.com/infor...ConeChart.html

Lampworking kilns work on digital temp control. You can accurately fire to a set temperature plus or minus 2 or 3 degrees. It clicks back and forth a digit or two. Beyond that, you have the problem of ramping down and holding temperatures. Also not possible with a ceramic kiln. And looking at the firing chart, I'm reminded that ceramic kilns do not fire as low as a lamp working kiln. So ramping and holding at 500 degrees (if I remember correctly) would be virtually impossible.

In short. No. Not at all. Not even a little bit. I'm sorry.

Last edited by SGA; 2011-11-24 at 8:31pm.
Old 2011-11-25, 12:02am
Unmedicated since '62

No, but that's the exact kiln I want for ceramics!

Shipping from the US, hmm....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-11-25, 12:15am
Fried Cat

I just noticed you mentioned you don't know what to look for. Most everyone I've come across uses one of these:

http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....ex&cPath=20_21

Short list:

Front loading or with a bead door
only needs to ramp up to 1200 max. Paragon with a Bead Door is also good for PMC though. It ramps higher than the bluebird IIRC. I have both because I began my studio with PMC and they're equally nice. But I kept reaching in to grab high glass and hot mandrels because the bead door was a little small and if I put a new bead to close to a garaged bead, the new bead may be a bit tacky, they'd stick... I'd try to save them and, well. My husband fixed that with the Bluebird. My honest suggested kiln here.

It's wired for a regular outlet. The ceramic kilns to my knowledge are typically not. They have an oven/stove type plug in.

Last edited by SGA; 2011-11-25 at 12:21am.
Old 2011-11-25, 12:17am
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
No, but that's the exact kiln I want for ceramics!

Shipping from the US, hmm....
It brings back memories! I grew up with one in the garage going all the time. I have flower pots my Mom made years and years ago. Fired artistry is in my blood, I just went a different direction.

I've been itchy for a top loader paragon for glass fusing. But then I start thinking, one of these for ceramics would make my pottery wheel dreams come true. I think asking for two more kilns would give my husband heart palpitations.
Old 2011-11-25, 7:46am

oh well. I'll keep looking! Thanks for the quick replies.

I am guessing shipping > purchase price.
Old 2011-11-25, 8:38am
Disconnected

For a great kiln at a great price + excellent service and free shipping, try this http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=209561

Old 2011-11-25, 9:22am
Tweedle Dumb

I'll second a Glass Hive. I just wish I hadn't been soo cheap, and I wish I would have got a bigger one. It's an excellent kiln. I love it.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2011-11-26, 8:34am
The Crazy One

I'd recommend The Glass Hive too! They do have a layaway plan that is very easy and I will guarantee that you will not find better customer service anywhere...