LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Old 2012-02-27, 6:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by piedradesigns View Post
As someone who misses the original Terra and doesn't have any left, it would be frustrating to read half a tutorial on a glass that isn't available. That would probably keep me from purchasing. However, it seems that lots of people still have some. (Sigh...)
So Gretchen, you're saying you wouldn't be interested unless the tutorial focuses completely on the new Terra? ie you wouldn't be interested in any tutorial that included information on original Terra (whether or not that tutorial was mainly focused on the new Terra) because you don't have any original Terra left?

Just trying to make sure I understand what you meant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-02-27, 8:54pm

I would love to have both old and new in the tutorial please.
Old 2012-02-27, 9:30pm

I dont have any of the old, and have just ordered a batch of the new. Therefor my own preference would be the new Kim. But I would still happily purchase if both were covered in it, or even if it focussed on the old but with some tips on the new.

Elaine x
Old 2012-02-27, 10:47pm
Angel's Mom

I have some of the "new" Terra, a little of the original Terra, and Terra-2. I'd love it if it had some of each.

Kris
Old 2012-02-27, 11:44pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
As someone who misses the original Terra and doesn't have any left, it would be frustrating to read half a tutorial on a glass that isn't available. That would probably keep me from purchasing. However, it seems that lots of people still have some. (Sigh...)
As I understand it, DH is now making "Original Terra" again in small handpulled batches, so you could buy some when they put the next batch up for sale. They are also still selling "New Terra", so both are available on the market currently. In this context "Original" doesn't mean "first batch", it just means original formula and pulling method.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-02-28, 12:16am
To Bead Or Not To Bead

If you can find a way to get the gorgeous colors of the original Terra with the new Terra, I would be interested. I would not care for a tutorial on the original Terra though as I only have two skinny rods left.

Patsy

Ebay:
Old 2012-02-28, 12:20am
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
As I understand it, DH is now making "Original Terra" again in small handpulled batches, so you could buy some when they put the next batch up for sale. They are also still selling "New Terra", so both are available on the market currently. In this context "Original" doesn't mean "first batch", it just means original formula and pulling method.
Kim wrote that the new Terra isn't behaving like the original Terra.

Ebay:
Old 2012-02-28, 6:29am

Default Response

As I have none of the original, I really am only interested in the new. I have used the new and really think it is beautiful. I would consider still buying the tutorial if it contained both but it would be a sure bet it if only contained the new. I love your tutorials and have just about all of them now!

Ann
Old 2012-02-28, 8:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Kalera, the "original formula Terra" DH is now making does not use exactly the same formula the "original original Terra" (circa 2007) was made with. I've spent some time with it and it isn't the same. I wrote to Jed about it and he confirmed that he's added something to the original formula to stabilize the glass. Whatever this stabilizer is, it alters how Terra strikes and behaves in the flame. To me, the "new original" works and strikes more like Ekho, Terra 2 or TE-445. It's still a beautiful glass, but it's different than the original (2007) Terra nonetheless.

Thanks to those of you who are giving me your input. Please keep the opinions coming, they're very helpful to me as I try to decide what to do about the tut.

Old 2012-02-28, 9:08am

I, too, would like information on the striking with natural gas. It seems that influences all my beads!
Old 2012-02-28, 9:15am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluffroadglass View Post
Kalera, the "original formula Terra" DH is now making does not use exactly the same formula the "original original Terra" (circa 2007) was made with. I've spent some time with it and it isn't the same. I wrote to Jed about it and he confirmed that he's added something to the original formula to stabilize the glass. Whatever this stabilizer is, it alters how Terra strikes and behaves in the flame. To me, the "new original" works and strikes more like Ekho, Terra 2 or TE-445. It's still a beautiful glass, but it's different than the original (2007) Terra nonetheless.

Thanks to those of you who are giving me your input. Please keep the opinions coming, they're very helpful to me as I try to decide what to do about the tut.
Ah, OK. Thanks!

Old 2012-02-28, 11:55am
What was I thinking?

What I meant, Kim, was that my preference would be a tutorial devoted to the newest Terra. A few tips on the original wouldn't keep me from purchasing. I love the new glass as well as the first version. However, a tut that devotes at least half of its space to the older version might not interest me as much. Clear as over-heated striking glass?

Old 2012-02-28, 12:21pm

Quote:
What I meant, Kim, was that my preference would be a tutorial devoted to the newest Terra. A few tips on the original wouldn't keep me from purchasing. I love the new glass as well as the first version. However, a tut that devotes at least half of its space to the older version might not interest me as much. Clear as over-heated striking glass?
LOL! Got it.

Old 2012-02-28, 12:42pm
Bad Cat Glass

Quote:

Hi Kim, I was just wondering if you have you been able to get the kind of color from the new "original" that you got on many of the beads in your "Color Archive?" I get color that's much closer to Terra 2, more subtle and not as vibrant with the exception of the purple when first struck. If you can get it to work like the real original and can get those kinds of colors, I'll be first in line for the tut.
Old 2012-02-28, 1:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin' Francesca View Post
Hi Kim, I was just wondering if you have you been able to get the kind of color from the new "original" that you got on many of the beads in your "Color Archive?" I get color that's much closer to Terra 2, more subtle and not as vibrant with the exception of the purple when first struck. If you can get it to work like the real original and can get those kinds of colors, I'll be first in line for the tut.
Francesca: I'm working on it, but haven't had any success keeping those colors with the new version unless I encase the beads, which I didn't do with the original Terra. I addressed the differences between the two glasses earlier in this thread and also just posted about it in the Terra thread in the Gallery. You're spot on about the new version being closer to Terra 2 than to original Terra. That's what I've experienced as well. And by the way, nice beads!

Old 2012-02-28, 1:40pm
Color Outside The Lines!

Quote:

The Terra we have been selling this year has been stabilized by which we mean the original formula has been balanced. As has been described, when we were making Terra in 2007 some days the glass came out transparent and did nothing. There was no change in the formulas of those batches and yet, something was changing. We discovered what that was and how to control it. I can’t say exactly what and how because my competitors read this forum.

Jed did not confirm that he added anything to the formula. He said in an email, “I have mixed and charged a batch for tomorrow that has some minute changes that may mitigate the variation caused by the stabilization of the Original Terra formula.” There are often minute changes from one batch to the next whether we make any changes or not. This is the reason that we test the color and compatibility of every pot of glass. This is what Jed was referring to. He had just spent all day pulling out a pot of Terra that he made no changes to but that had changed none the less. It was striking faster than the last batch. So, he made a minute change to keep it in balance. Making silver glasses is a balancing act and we are always balancing our formulas to keep them as consistent as possible.

It is true that there will never be a batch of Terra that is exactly 100% like the batch of Terra anyone may have received in 2007. That is impossible. All of those pails of ingredients have long been used and replaced with others. Any of which may have a minute difference. Can I guarantee that the quarter pound anyone receives is identical to the quarter pound they received in 2007? No, I can’t. What someone had in 2007 may have been reheated in the flame more or less times than what they got now. What they get tomorrow may have come from the last pull and what they get today may come from the first pull. Glass is always changing. The alternative to keeping any formula balanced is ironically, selling glass that is inconsistent and incompatible.

Julie at Double Helix Glassworks
Old 2012-02-28, 2:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Helix Glassworks View Post
The Terra we have been selling this year has been stabilized by which we mean the original formula has been balanced. As has been described, when we were making Terra in 2007 some days the glass came out transparent and did nothing. There was no change in the formulas of those batches and yet, something was changing. We discovered what that was and how to control it. I can’t say exactly what and how because my competitors read this forum.

Jed did not confirm that he added anything to the formula. He said in an email, “I have mixed and charged a batch for tomorrow that has some minute changes that may mitigate the variation caused by the stabilization of the Original Terra formula.” There are often minute changes from one batch to the next whether we make any changes or not. This is the reason that we test the color and compatibility of every pot of glass. This is what Jed was referring to. He had just spent all day pulling out a pot of Terra that he made no changes to but that had changed none the less. It was striking faster than the last batch. So, he made a minute change to keep it in balance. Making silver glasses is a balancing act and we are always balancing our formulas to keep them as consistent as possible.

It is true that there will never be a batch of Terra that is exactly 100% like the batch of Terra anyone may have received in 2007. That is impossible. All of those pails of ingredients have long been used and replaced with others. Any of which may have a minute difference. Can I guarantee that the quarter pound anyone receives is identical to the quarter pound they received in 2007? No, I can’t. What someone had in 2007 may have been reheated in the flame more or less times than what they got now. What they get tomorrow may have come from the last pull and what they get today may come from the first pull. Glass is always changing. The alternative to keeping any formula balanced is ironically, selling glass that is inconsistent and incompatible.

Julie at Double Helix Glassworks
Julie, I appreciate the clarification and my sincere apologies if I misconstrued Jed's email. You know I love you guys, and I definitely don't know how to make glass. All I know is that according to the Terra product page on the DH website ("we kept the stabilized formula") and also to what Jed said in his email, ("...the variation caused by the stabilization of the Original Terra formula.") something is being done to the original Terra formula to stabilize it, and whatever that something is wasn't done to the original batches of Terra. Whether it's a change to the formula or a change in the manufacturing process, it's still a change. I don't know if that change is responsible for the differences between the new "original formula handpulled Terra" and original Terra circa 2007, but whatever the reason, there are very noticeable differences.

I do understand that glassmaking is an inexact process and that variations will occur from batch to batch, and I truly appreciate the attempts Jed has made over the years to recreate those original 2007 batches. The only point I was really making with my post was that while this glass is being sold as "original formula" Terra, it does not behave like the "original Terra" everyone thinks of when they hear those words. It behaves like Terra 2, TE-445 and other later versions which are close to the original but have a different opacity and different working characteristics. I'm not saying the new Terra is bad glass. It's beautiful glass. I'm just saying it's different, and that there are effects I achieved with the 2007 Terra that I can't achieve with the 2012 version.

Old 2012-02-28, 9:02pm
Avada Kedavra

Hello Kim, I love your tutorials. They are detailed, with clear pictures and concise instructions. Although I have some of the 2007 Terra in my stash, I would be keen for the tutorial to focus on the 2012 formula.

I've read through this entire thread and I think what is significant is that you have the knowledge to work with both Terra's. At some point, DH might produce a batch of Terra that is closer to the 2007 batch, that might happen in 2013, or some indiscriminate time in the future. However, you still have the knowledge to work both, you can create a combined tutorial or two separate tutorials and release them as the glass changes. Either way, people value your knowledge and there is sure to be a market for your silver tutorials as long as the glass is available and reacts with a predictive nature and as long as you're happy to write them.

Last edited by Metamorphi; 2012-02-28 at 9:49pm. Reason: clarity
Old 2012-02-29, 12:37am
Resident hippie

How about a tut focussing on new Terra at a certain cost and one that works the 2007 version as an addendum for a bigger price?
Actually I'd be more interested in the older glass tut. So two tutorials?

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2012-02-29, 9:23am
A True Woofer

I would definitely be interested in learning to use both glasses, as I have both, and both come out brown for me. I'm Terra-challenged.

I like Anna's suggestion.

Old 2012-02-29, 9:28am

I also like Anna's suggestion.
Old 2012-02-29, 9:31am
Resident hippie

I wasn't very clear - I have made suggestions for two possibilities here - maybe even three

One with just the new version
One with the new version and with the original included for more money.
And two completely separate tutorials.

Which do you think Ellen and Carmen? And, of course, you Kim.

Decisions, decisions. . .

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2012-02-29, 9:47am
Cheesehead Packer lover

Kim your tutorials are always enlightening. I would love one on both old and "new" Terra. Thanks for the hard work and many hours of testing. I can't wait!

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2012-03-01, 5:53pm

I'd love a tut on the old Terra, still have a few pounds maturing on my shelves.....and a tut on the new Terra. I guess I'm on the fence about a combined or two separate ones. My wallet would like the least expensive option : )

If I didn't have the old Terra, would I want a tut on it - yep, sure would! I'm certain there would be techniques I'd pick up on that I don't know about (obviously because I've never had success with Terra) and I could then try those techniques out on other striking glass which might just yield all sorts of unbeknownst treasures!

Apart from that, I'm always fascinated to learn how people do things - especially Kim
Old 2012-03-02, 10:02pm

Kim it sounds like you have hit on two tutorials, one for the old formulation and one for the new. I would love to see a tutorial of yours on the new Terra, you have a true gift for explaining things. Your tutorials are some of my favorites.

Nikki

Old 2012-03-02, 11:11pm

I really appreciate the opinions, everyone -- and the kind words, too.

I'm pretty sure at this point that "Taming Terra" will focus on both 2007 and 2012 Terra. And don't worry if you don't have any original Terra. Why? Because now you can get some! Read on.

Jed at Double Helix sent me some rods this week from a batch of his 2012 Terra that he said was striking faster than the other batches he's released. When I started making my first test bead with this "fast striking" Terra, I just about fell out of my chair. It works and strikes exactly like the early batches of 2007 Terra I use for my "Essential Terra" series. It has the opacity and "chalkiness" of the original. It holds its color in the kiln without being encased. It blooms with gorgeous color easily on the first strike, and with very little coaxing will produce gorgeous blues, greens, yellows, pinks, purples, browns and taupes. I can find no difference at all between this new fast striking Terra and the original batches of Terra I bought in 2007.

Here are my first quick test beads from the fast striking Terra. It isn't a great photo, but they are pretty much indistinguishable from the beads I made using early batches of Terra in 2007.

Jed has 2 batches of the fast striking Terra on his site now. The 2/16 batch is the one I've tested, but according to Jed the 2/14 batch is very similar. There will be more fast striking Terra on the way after these 2 batches. Jed says he expects to be pulling more of it all this coming week and possibly the next week.

So this is a heads-up for those of you who plan on getting my tutorial and don't have any original Terra: RUN to the Double Helix site and grab some of the "Fast Striking Terra" that's for sale on the front page. You will be able to use this glass for anything in my tutorial that calls for original 2007 Terra. I expect that once word gets out what they are, these batches will sell out pretty fast. If you want some, don't waste time!

I'll post more details on the tutorial soon.

Last edited by bluffroadglass; 2012-03-03 at 9:13am.
Old 2012-03-03, 3:52am
Mad about Glass

Thanks for the info Kim. Have ordered some fast striking Terra. When can we expect the tutorial????

[url]

Old 2012-03-03, 9:08am

I'm looking at mid to late March. Hopefully mid. I'll be announcing a preorder soon.

Old 2012-03-03, 2:57pm
Avada Kedavra

Fantastic news!!!

Old 2012-03-03, 5:00pm
Dilly53

Default Fast Strkining Terra

There must have been hoards of lampworkers lurking on the DH site as I have tried several times and there is no fast striking terra listed. Is it possible it all sold out in a matter of 2 hours?