Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-10-23, 4:51am

Default Get this bead off the mandrel

I've already broken one! I've tired the freezer and hot water. Help!
Attached Images

Jill
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-10-23, 4:51am
Resident hippie

So tap, tap, tap on a concrete block for a while and that should shift it.
Good luck!

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2012-10-23, 5:51am

if there are no reduction glasses in the bead you might try soaking it in vinegar......I read in another thread how vinegar can dissolve the bead release

Old 2012-10-23, 5:53am

Thanks. I'll try those. Anna, that's what my husband said!

Jill

Old 2012-10-23, 7:21am

Vinegar wont bother the reduction glass any, I use it all the time to get the release out/off the mandrel and the inside of the bead. Some reduction glass beads I've soaked for three or 4 days in vinegar and it doesn't bother the reduction glass in any way
Liz R
Old 2012-10-23, 7:46am

thats good to know......I have never used vinegar, was just reading what someone else said.

Old 2012-10-23, 12:40pm
Somewhat out there!

Than put the mandrel in a vice and pull/wiggle the bead up. Good luck

Julianne
Old 2012-10-23, 12:49pm

Anna, tried the tap,tap,tap and another one hits the dust. Will try vinegar next.

Jill

Old 2012-10-23, 12:52pm

what kind of release are you using?

Old 2012-10-23, 6:29pm

The recipe is a homemade one from a prof at Miami of Ohio. I know she uses silica and I've forgotten the rest. I have loved it.

Jill

Old 2012-10-23, 6:34pm
Loving learning

Just an FYI, I used a vinegar soak on a bead made of Eff 441, and it etched it in patches. I had to end up etching the whole thing to even it out. So I know of at least one glass that isn't happy with being soaked in vinegar.
Old 2012-10-23, 6:45pm
offically down under

A couple of comments on making beads on big holed mandrels. I found that when I made a thin bead, I couldn't get it off the mandrel. Try making them a bit thicker next time. Also, as you are using a pricy mandrel, make sure you don't ruin it by applying too much pressure with the pliers or a vice. You're better off to just put the bead into a hot flame and thermal crack it off. You don't want to waste a $15 mandrel for $0.30 worth of glass.

Old 2012-10-23, 7:03pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I have had pretty good luck by taking a very small, very sharp little dental pick and scraping off the bead release just under the bead. You have to be careful or there will be blood. Well, honestly, there's always blood involved. But that's just me.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-10-23, 7:04pm
Unmedicated since '62

long soak, rub all the bead release off so the water has more chance of getting under the bead

and yeah what tammy said, know when to quit

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-10-25, 9:05am

you might want to try double dipping the mandrel in future. Dip, dry, dip again to get a thicker coat of release. That gives you a little more wiggle room.

I don't know if you already do this but my hands aren't very strong so I use a vise grip plier to hold the mandrel and wrap the bead in a non-slip rubber mat (drawer liner from the dollar store). I get a better grip and, if the bead does break, some protection from the edges.

Good luck,

Cricket, Oxy Con, Natural Gas
Old 2012-10-25, 11:02am
novembersfyre everywhere

I know you said you did the tap, tap, tap - but how did you do it? I always have sucess removing beads from big hole mandrels doing that including the triangle and square shapes.

I place the end with the bead against a solid surface (concrete patio). I then use the flat side of a heavy pair of pliers to tap on the skinny side of the mandrel that is sticking up. I haven't ruined or bent any mandrels doing this. I use fusion bead release.

Old 2012-10-26, 6:35pm

Number #3 is in vinegar...stayed tuned. I did not do the tap, tap, tap as you did Mary Beth..that may be next!

Jill

Old 2012-10-27, 11:21pm
Resident hippie

Oh so sorry it broke Jill! I wasn't clear about how to do the tapping. Good luck with the next one!

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2012-11-21, 8:06pm

I have a thin rubber pad (used for opening jars) that I use to grab the bead and then pliers on the other end. You might want to try sludge release on those big mandrels...

Kirsti
Old 2012-11-21, 8:39pm

okay it may not be you or the glass but the mandrel. I had a large hole mandrel that no matter what type of bead(thick or thin), dip,double dip the bloody beads would not come off it. I had to break every bead I did on that mandrel and I actually gave it to another bead maker to try and they had similar problems with it.
Old 2012-11-23, 7:04pm
Wow. Just Wow.

I have had great outcomes with Foster fire bead release. Slips right off, as opposed to the picking, pounding, freezing, tapping, (and breaking) that I have tried while using other brands.
Old 2012-11-24, 5:23am
Mad about Glass

Have never had a bead stuck on a mandrel since I started using Fosterfire. Double dipping is good for big hole mandrels as suggested above. The vinegar sounds interesting - how did it go?

[url]

Old 2012-11-26, 8:00am
Glass-aholic

try nscraping off as much bead release as you can, soaking it, and then just sit and wiggle. a quick twinting wiggle (just a little, like you have a twitch in your hand, gradually increase as it moves) even if you dont think is is working is probably working, you just have to keep at it. Dont force it. I usually do this while teaching, or watching students, so my hands have something to do. it can be straining, but patience with these is what keeps your bead intact. Also tap the end of the mandrel to push a wave of vibration through the bead when you think its really stuck. if in doubt just put it down and come back to it.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-11-29, 6:34pm

Thanks for all the imput. Double dipping did the trick for me. Sounds too simple doesn't it? Thanks!

Jill