Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2013-05-06, 5:15pm
Storm Queen

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
We'll get it figured out, Amy! It's kind of like when I couldn't get the webbing technique to work on my HH.
I know. It's so different when it's your technique and you've been doing it for years. For me...I did leave the frit raised on the last four or five I did but I'm sure I overheated those so that probably fumed them. I'm not giving up just yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-05-06, 6:11pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I made a few testers today. They looked good going into the kiln so if they still do when they come out I'll post pictures tomorrow.

I'm running a mega minor with natural gas and 2 oxycons and this setup is new to me. It produces a lot more heat than my old minor plus one oxycon setup did and I'm still getting used to it.

I used one of the alternative ingredients even though I also have some of the original. Val Cox frit sells the alternative in a small grind and I had purchased some of it a few months ago and this seemed like a good use for it.

Old 2013-05-06, 6:36pm
Fried Cat

I know I run an oxy rich flame with my lynx. If I don't, I end up reducing by accident fairly easily.
Old 2013-05-06, 6:43pm
Certified Glassaholic!

I did leave the frit raised before applying the silver but, as you say, maybe the frit can't even be melted just that little bit? I was running a neutral flame but maybe I need to run a more oxidizing flame to make this work for me. More trials tomorrow.....

Last edited by yeepers; 2013-05-06 at 6:59pm.
Old 2013-05-06, 7:16pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I'm sorry that I just know much about mixed fuel torches. :/ I was thinking though that the oxy might need to be turned up for these.

Old 2013-05-06, 7:19pm
"Sinners have soul too"

If my shop wasn't 10 miles away I'd be goin' over there right now. I'm dyin' to see! =)

Old 2013-05-06, 7:42pm

Quote:
I'm sorry that I just know much about mixed fuel torches. :/ I was thinking though that the oxy might need to be turned up for these.
I didn't purchase the tutorial yet. But since a Hot Head is 1. more reducing and 2. not quite as intense heat, could just turning the flame down a bit work better, perhaps? Hot Heads teach patience, if nothing else.

Amber's less than 4 minutes in the flame could be the same heat wise as someone else's 2 minutes in the flame.

Love your customer service, Amber.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2013-05-06, 7:48pm
Fried Cat

I only ran tiny spacer non-annealing tests for a few minutes this afternoon to see if I get the right reactions.

I'm going to go out and create bigger beads tomorrow morning, and properly anneal them. Results tomorrow night hopefully.

Its like I told Amber in PM… And Holly mentioned it during her class. The HH gives subtle variations that we just can't get on a dual gas torch. Holly called it "smut, but not smut" if I remember right. The HH is what gives her that ancient artifact look.

Amber developed this look on an HH and so it carries a unique subtle difference that might be slightly harder to develop on a "regular" torch. We're so used to saying oh, you can probably do it on a HH but it won't be the same. We're not used to saying this works gorgeously on a HH, but your torch may give it a slightly different "look".

Fact is, there aren't many HH tuts out there that deal with reactions, are there? This is the first one that I've seen, used. Holly gives tutorials, but she doesn't teach the reaction. The reactions on her HH are happy accidents she discovered and used to her advantage.

Apart from those two individuals, I can't think of anyone that works exclusively on HHs who has stepped up and created a tutorial that revolves entirely around reactions between different types of glass and glass additives.

Or am I slightly off base?

I know Yee and Amy aren't given Amber any stress but I can't help but think Amber is stressing because people aren't rocking the tutorial as easy as she might have expected. I personally love her work so I'm cheerleading, perhaps unnecessarily.

Mostly I'm repeating myself for Amber's benefit. This is a learning curve for the HH instructors, not just your first tutorial.
Old 2013-05-06, 7:53pm
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
I didn't purchase the tutorial yet. But since a Hot Head is 1. more reducing and 2. not quite as intense heat, could just turning the flame down a bit work better, perhaps? Hot Heads teach patience, if nothing else.

Amber's less than 4 minutes in the flame could be the same heat wise as someone else's 2 minutes in the flame.

Love your customer service, Amber.
Good point.

She said shape after the silver application.

I shape before adding enamel or grit… (Goddess freaking darn it.. how do I add EFF ARE EYE TEE to my dictionary? It keeps changing it on me, repeatedly. My iPad is fine. My computer refuses to acknowledge the F word)

Once I apply the enamel, my bead went very very quickly. A minute in the flame all total. Most of it to slowly melting in the silver foil in a cool flame, and giving it a quick bath of heat to get a slight glowing stage. Really, just a normal flash before kilning in the middle of the flame for a few brief seconds.
Old 2013-05-06, 8:03pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Dang, one minute?

Old 2013-05-06, 8:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGA View Post
Its like I told Amber in PM… And Holly mentioned it during her class. The HH gives subtle variations that we just can't get on a dual gas torch. Holly called it "smut, but not smut" if I remember right. The HH is what gives her that ancient artifact look...
Edited to address just this point. I believe Holly felt that this particular characteristic was due to the length of time she works on her beads as well as the torch choice.

I was on a HH for 6 years. I could do clear encasing, white, anything. Even very, very small boro. But it was a more reducing torch, naturally. Flame chemistry makes a difference, of course.

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2013-05-06, 8:13pm
Fried Cat

Quote:
Dang, one minute?
Well, yeah. They were small spacers.. And they were already decent donut shaped. No after the silver shaping necessary.

NLC, you're absolutely correct. I had forgotten to clarify that, Holly did say it was because of the length of time she spends with her beads, hours at least.
Old 2013-05-06, 8:43pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Talking

Heeeheee, it takes me a minute just to heat the rod enough to make the base bead...then I'm good from there LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGA View Post
Well, yeah. They were small spacers.. And they were already decent donut shaped. No after the silver shaping necessary.

NLC, you're absolutely correct. I had forgotten to clarify that, Holly did say it was because of the length of time she spends with her beads, hours at least.

Old 2013-05-07, 9:56am
Certified Glassaholic!

I'm really curious to read other people's experience and, in particular, technique. I've tried it all, neutral flame, big flame, small flame, oxidizing flame. Nada. Everything turns brown.

Old 2013-05-07, 11:05am
KitseyBelle

I had to order frit so I can't try it yet.

Has anyone tried it on a Hothead?

Amber, what fuel do you use?
Old 2013-05-07, 11:09am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I'm on a HotHead.

Old 2013-05-07, 11:10am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Donna was going to come by today with her results.

Old 2013-05-07, 12:06pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Mine didn't come out brown like Amy's and Yee's beads did but I didn't get that really nice purple like you do Amber!

I think I'm close to getting it though. I'm thinking I'll try a reducing flame next - that works for EDP and these colors are close cousins. I think I actually have some devit on mine.

I'll take a pic later if I have a chance.

Old 2013-05-07, 12:15pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

That would be great, Mary! I know we'll come up with a solution.

Old 2013-05-07, 12:21pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Mine didn't come out dark brown like Amy's and Yee's beads did but I didn't get that really nice purple like you do Amber!

I think I'm close to getting it though. I'm thinking I'll try a reducing flame next - that works for EDP and these colors are close cousins. I think I actually have some devit on mine.

I'll take a pic later if I have a chance.

Old 2013-05-07, 12:31pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Okay, they are. Right out of the kiln. They're in the etching stage right now. Whatcha think?
Attached Images

Old 2013-05-07, 12:34pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Donna, gooseberries! They came out good, lots of silver sparkle!!...actually, you could probably use a little more frit ironically! So what torch did you make them on?

Old 2013-05-07, 1:35pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I was afraid to use too much, next time I'll be more brave.

center fire on the barracuda, ex15, propane... I'll post exactly what how I did these when I get to a real computer =)

Last edited by zen-mom; 2013-05-07 at 2:57pm.
Old 2013-05-07, 3:04pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Here's how I did the beads... your mileage may vary =)

Using my regular flame settings. Add glass, shape, heat to make sure frit will stick, roll in frit, lightly heat just to make sure the frit is sticking *at the tip of my flame*, roll on silver foil, burnish in as much as you can with pokey frit bits, then slowly melt everything in. Again, at the tip my flame. I never lose the shape of my bead, so all I'm doing is melting in the foil and the frit. Voila!

Old 2013-05-07, 3:12pm
Storm Queen

Was your frit glowing when you rolled your bead onto the foil? Mine was and that may be were the problem is.

Old 2013-05-07, 3:16pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

My frit has a dull glow when I roll it over the silver foil. I sometimes just have to spot-heat one little section then make the foil to stick to that one spot then roll...then marver. While marvering, I make sure I don't have the silver on too tight... it has some breathing room, especially down the center with the raised frit. Like my silver is not smoothed out all over the bead before the melting begins...so the silver will just burn away in some spots but stay in others.

Old 2013-05-07, 3:18pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Was your frit glowing when you rolled your bead onto the foil? Mine was and that may be were the problem is.
No, I actually had to heat my bead a couple of times to get it hot enough to pick up the foil.

Old 2013-05-07, 3:19pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
My frit has a dull glow when I roll it over the silver foil. I sometimes just have to spot-heat one little section then make the foil to stick to that one spot then roll...then marver. While marvering, I make sure I don't have the silver on too tight... it has some breathing room, especially down the center with the raised frit. Like my silver is not smoothed out all over the bead before the melting begins...so the silver will just burn away in some spots but stay in others.
This is what I did...

BTW peeps, I didn't read any of the tutorial, just skipped to page 12 to make the beads! So I could be doing it all wrong!

Old 2013-05-07, 3:20pm
Storm Queen

Ok, I think the amount of heat I give my bead to put the silver foil on is part of the problem. The other part is that I really marvered the foil down on the bead good. I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens.

Old 2013-05-07, 3:26pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

~crossing fingers~

Tags
hot head tut, hothead friendly, hothead tutorial, lampwork tutorial, lily pad gardens, naos glass, success!