No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-06-10, 8:21pm
Catnip Pusher

Default Sick of Rubino

I'm sick of making beautiful beads with rubino and having them crack. I love the color, but hate the glass.

Does CiM make anything like it? I really want that lovely fuchsia color, but I just can't trust the rubino if it is encased. It seems like almost every batch I get can't be encased, which makes it practically worthless.

Aimee
Old 2013-06-10, 8:26pm

Aime I have not had that trouble with Rubino but I did with black. It was a bad batch. Maybe your clear or Rubino is bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mary Ann
DAUGHTER OF THE KING!
Loving life and Lampworking

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-06-10, 8:50pm
Senior Moment

There is CIM Cranberry Pink. I don't know if it behave better than Rubino; I only just picked some up. Here's Messy's page on it: http://www.creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=25

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-06-10, 8:56pm
Catnip Pusher

Mary Ann, I have gone through five or six batches of rubino, and all but one gives me this problem! I've tried it with every clear I can: Aether, Zephyr, Diamond Clear, Clarity, Uroboros, and V.S. It just doesn't seem to like being encased!!

Thanks for the link, Alli - hopefully someone who has tried cranberry will post. It looks like a good color...

Aimee
Old 2013-06-10, 9:28pm
Uh Oh....

I don't know about the new batches of CiM Cranberry Pink but some batches crack badly. I only use mine for dots or as a whole bead. Depending on the batch, when it's layered on white, I think it's not has pink as rubino can be. Guess it depends on the batch of rubino too. I can usually get rubino a nice pink over white but not with cranberry pink.

Old 2013-06-10, 11:16pm
Catnip Pusher

Oh, that's disappointing Susan. I wonder if the metals in the glass that make it that pink color are also responsible for it being more prone to causing cracking? I'd really like to find a worry-free version of this!

Aimee
Old 2013-06-10, 11:42pm
sorcerer

You could try Reichenbach 104 series there are some really good pink and red glasses in their range
B

Old 2013-06-10, 11:44pm
sorcerer

the biggest problem is that to make a good pink glass you need gold, tin and lead in the glass, this alters the viscosity and causes the compatibility problems.
B

Old 2013-06-10, 11:58pm
Catnip Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway View Post
the biggest problem is that to make a good pink glass you need gold, tin and lead in the glass, this alters the viscosity and causes the compatibility problems.
B
That's what I was thinking. That fuchsia is so...nice!

Aimee
Old 2013-06-11, 6:24am
Lampworkaholic!

Make a base of clear. Encase in Rubino, decorate if desired, encase in the same clear.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-06-11, 7:40am

Olympic color has beautiful pinks and I never have any trouble with it. It also doesn't metal up like Rubino. My CIM cranberry cracks so I don't use it anymore.

Old 2013-06-11, 8:34am
Catnip Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Make a base of clear. Encase in Rubino, decorate if desired, encase in the same clear.
Yeah...that's basically what I've been doing, with a layer of white in there too. Maybe it's the white that's a problem?!?

Cynthia - is the Olympic color 104coe?

Aimee
Old 2013-06-11, 9:45am

Yes Aimee. Here is the link. The Gold Ruby is one of my favs. The Mystic Violet is pretty too and....I might have to try the Garnet. I don't think I have that one.

http://www.glasscolor.com/lampworkin...rent_cane.aspx

Old 2013-06-11, 10:46am
Catnip Pusher

Thank you Cynthia. Bernard mentioned the Reichenbach earlier in the thread, but I didn't think of looking for it at Olympic. I used to buy it from Reenie - wish she still had her shop!

Aimee
Old 2013-06-11, 11:45am

I've had issues with CIM cracking, but not Rubino.

Maybe try veiled rubino? Same color, but more clear - I haven't had problems with it.

http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=5072

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2013-06-11, 2:25pm

To make a fuchsia bead, I have done clear, white, clear, rubino, clear. Seems to have worked, but what a pain!

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-06-11, 4:16pm
Angie09

Bullseye has the most beautiful and easy to work fuchsia! I haven't encased it cuz it's just so pretty plain but you can use Schott clear which is terrific too! It's one of the reasons I decided to add BE to my glass obsession. If you'd like a couple of rods to try, I'd be happy to send them to you. Just pm me.
Old 2013-06-11, 4:53pm
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post

Clear...white...rubino...encase....it does help to have that base of clear. I think it's actually the white that is the problem and the harder clear base solves that problem.
Old 2013-06-11, 5:20pm

I once made a watermelon bead, not sure if it was rubino or cranberry, but I did clear, white, pink. After annealing, the pink was opaque purple. People told me it was because the pink and white were touching.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-06-11, 5:29pm
Echo's Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Bullseye has the most beautiful and easy to work fuchsia! I haven't encased it cuz it's just so pretty plain but you can use Schott clear which is terrific too! It's one of the reasons I decided to add BE to my glass obsession. If you'd like a couple of rods to try, I'd be happy to send them to you. Just pm me.

This. The BE fuchsia is awesome.
Old 2013-06-11, 7:33pm

Dark rose from Devardi is awfully pretty - as long as you're willing to take the time to preheat the rods!

Barbara
Old 2013-06-11, 7:39pm
Catnip Pusher

SIGH. I know. I have seen the Bullseye fuchsia, and it is gorgeous. But I'm not ready to add another coe to my inventory yet.

I was torching today, messing with the rubino, and I am leaning towards the idea that it is a viscosity issue and the white may be my problem. Since it is very soupy, if I try a different, stiffer opaque (like maybe a pink!) under the rubino it may solve my problem. Only time will tell.

Thanks for all the input - I am still considering the Reichenbach gold ruby - it looks really nice.

Aimee
Old 2013-06-11, 11:11pm
Naysayer

Good idea, try the pink, it has some of the same metals I would think anyways?

I do remember that Kugler made a 104 called Gold Pink, I've never tried it.
I only know of ABR, CR Loo and Hot Glass Color carrying them, but look at their site, they have an extra dark one now too and a fushia I want to try.
http://www.kuglercolors.de/english/default_e.htm
Old 2013-06-12, 12:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolychromeBeads View Post
SIGH. I know. I have seen the Bullseye fuchsia, and it is gorgeous. But I'm not ready to add another coe to my inventory yet.

I was torching today, messing with the rubino, and I am leaning towards the idea that it is a viscosity issue and the white may be my problem. Since it is very soupy, if I try a different, stiffer opaque (like maybe a pink!) under the rubino it may solve my problem. Only time will tell.

Thanks for all the input - I am still considering the Reichenbach gold ruby - it looks really nice.

Aimee
hey you, see you are still making beads. I recall you
staying with us at Glass stock many many wines ago?

_
Old 2013-06-12, 4:04am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlilly1 View Post
I once made a watermelon bead, not sure if it was rubino or cranberry, but I did clear, white, pink. After annealing, the pink was opaque purple. People told me it was because the pink and white were touching.
I don't think that was the reason. She's putting pink over white anyway. I'd say the darkness of your pink had something to do with reduction.
Old 2013-06-12, 4:59am

That one was definitely not reduction.

Facebook:

Old 2013-06-12, 5:18am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
Good idea, try the pink, it has some of the same metals I would think anyways?

I do remember that Kugler made a 104 called Gold Pink, I've never tried it.
I only know of ABR, CR Loo and Hot Glass Color carrying them, but look at their site, they have an extra dark one now too and a fushia I want to try.
http://www.kuglercolors.de/english/default_e.htm
The Kugler gold pink is stunning. It doesn't go livery. I've only encased it in small amounts in florals.
Attached Images

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-06-12, 7:33am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlilly1 View Post
That one was definitely not reduction.
Just call me stumped. Maybe someone else has had that experience.
Old 2013-06-12, 7:39am

For the record, if anyone can figure it out, it's a great way to make a purple slightly lighter than Barney.

Facebook:

Old 2013-06-12, 8:18am
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Melissa, there are certain batches of Rubino that have a tendency to go cloudy and dark. Some people love it, some not so much. Get a new batch and try it again.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f