Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-11-17, 10:31am

Default Glaskolben

Grrrrrrr. I'm getting frustrated with these! I received five the other day and I'm down to two. Every you tube video I see makes them look waaaay to easy to make into the perfectly round sphere!

Duane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-11-17, 10:42am
Melody of Glass

They are the devil.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-11-17, 11:07am
I fart diamonds

Round without the shoulder? You have to do it in stages. If I get my crap together, I'll shoot a quick video later.

Old 2013-11-17, 11:53am
Dichro Addict

I was going to try it today. I guess I'll see how it goes. I built my hollows on the end of a hollow mandrel last year. This has to be easier.

Old 2013-11-17, 1:13pm

Duane,

I think Ed and Virginia are planning a class for us locals interested. They certainly won't mind if people out of the area come but I think they're figuring mostly on people within driving distance. I know I'm an interested local!

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2013-11-17, 1:21pm
Dichro Addict

Oh my! That was a miserable failure...lol! 3 ruined...47 to go.

Old 2013-11-17, 1:38pm
Artistically Absorbed

I got some too, but I haven't had time to try them yet. I am thinking of pulling out my old hot head for this. Is anyone using their regular oxy/propane torches for it? I was wondering of the heat might be to penetrating. The one video I saw looked like she used a hot head.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-11-17, 2:09pm
I fart diamonds

I use my regular torch (GTT Phantom).

Old 2013-11-17, 2:09pm
Dichro Addict

I watched a video where a minor torch was being used.

Old 2013-11-17, 2:59pm

The videos make it look so easy. My first attempts, according to DH, look like space aliens that I need to add eyes to.

Georgia
Old 2013-11-17, 9:40pm
I fart diamonds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8h0hD5rzmc

Old 2013-11-17, 10:15pm
Uh Oh....

Nice demo shawnette!! You made it look so easy.

Old 2013-11-18, 5:37am

Thanks, Shawnette! Very helpful video! I think my biggest problem is that I've hesitated to heat it up too much, thinking I will collapse it onto itself! Therefore I heat in "pieces" and have to go back and touch up all the lumps and bumps. I am getting a decent size ball though, just not round.

Duane

Old 2013-11-18, 6:11am
I fart diamonds

When you notice it starting to lose it's shape, bend over and puff (not blow) it back out. You want to hold it down, not up.

Also, be sure to heat the shoulders so that they are blown out.

Old 2013-11-18, 7:00am

Great video Shawnette!

Old 2013-11-18, 7:33am
Ex-lurker

Wow Shawnette you really did make it look easy. Very nice job on the video too!

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2013-11-18, 8:36am
Dianne Gleaton

Default question

uest
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
What coe frit did you use? do you anneal in kiln? when I made my first one, I used a Christmas frit from BeadGoodies, got it into a nice shape, put it in the kiln and when done it had shattered into many pieces. I don't have anealling bubbles, but do have a blanket, would that be ok? TIA, Dianne
Old 2013-11-18, 9:46am
A True Woofer

I need more. Where's a good place to get them? Is there going to be another bulk buy?

Old 2013-11-18, 4:50pm

Ellen, I got mine from Howacoglass. Jameylyn is the only one that I know of that has them. There are probably others. Here's Jamey's:

1mm wall. 28mm dia. 1.60 ea.
1.5mm wall 40mm dia. 1.75 ea

Duane

Old 2013-11-18, 5:49pm
A True Woofer

Thanks, Duane! I'll check it out.

Old 2013-11-18, 6:17pm

Edit: Never mind. I see that the Land of Nod is not in Canada.

If you are in Canada, Artistry In Glass has the smaller ones.

http://artistryinglass.on.ca/GLASKOL...ASS-ORNAMENTS/
Old 2013-11-19, 4:47pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne Gleaton View Post
uest

What coe frit did you use? do you anneal in kiln? when I made my first one, I used a Christmas frit from BeadGoodies, got it into a nice shape, put it in the kiln and when done it had shattered into many pieces. I don't have anealling bubbles, but do have a blanket, would that be ok? TIA, Dianne
I used Reichenbach frit in the video, which is 96, and I only use my own blends, so I know exactly what works. I have no idea what might be in someone else's blend, so I don't even risk compatibility issues. I would suggest using Bullseye frit because it's 100% compatible.

I don't usually kiln anneal unless I'm making icicles. I cool the balls in Annealing Bubbles. I don't think fiber blanket would work but you can get vermiculite or pearlite at a home improvement or hardware store. Put it in a crock pot and heat it up. (Annealing bubbles are wayyyyy better!)

Old 2013-11-19, 4:55pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaGirlBT View Post
I need more. Where's a good place to get them? Is there going to be another bulk buy?
I get mine at Art Glass House and I get a really good price. I doubt I'll do another bulk buy (ugh) but I will be picking up more next week. Let me know if you want some. Even at low quantities, my price is only $1.25 each. (Lower than any price I've seen elsewhere without buying a gozillion).

Old 2013-11-20, 6:38am

Shawnette, were you working with the 1mm, 28mm dia in your video or the larger size version?

Tina

Old 2013-11-20, 12:07pm
I fart diamonds

The 1mm / 28mm

Old 2013-11-20, 12:16pm

shawnette, i'm just curious why you don't anneal your 90 coe ornaments?
Old 2013-11-20, 12:23pm

I have been playing with them too. I used bullseye frit for mine and they are all fine... I will take a picture of some later today. i used my sidewinder with a puffy flame blowing 3 and then running the O2 into the torch for 5 minutes to cool down. They only take a couple of minutes to make.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2013-11-20, 12:47pm

Rocio taught me. Heat the bottom to get the frit to stick and then heat the body to gently melt in the frit. Make the heat balanced in the body of the bulb without letting it collapse in on itself. Now keep turning and blow....

I know they are not great but I have done about 40 and after 10-15 you get the hang of it.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2013-11-20, 1:00pm
Somewhat out there!

I use 90 coe frit.

Julianne
Old 2013-11-20, 1:06pm
Somewhat out there!

I just watched your demo. Very nice. Question here, I was taught to put the frit inside and slowly heat and rotate until frit stuck to glass. I have yet to make a decent shape. I think I will try frit on the outside. Thank you

Julianne