LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2008-07-26, 2:05pm

Default Sculpting A Lampwork Flower Bead

It was a hard labor, and she was just delivered today...still a couple typos, but I'm leaving them for now because it's just TOO exciting.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=13704243

Hope some folks buy her (or her clones) and we see lots of glorious glass gardens blooming throughout the cyberworld. ♥ Love, Helen, excited to be able to get back to my studio...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Before His throne is a sea of glass like crystal.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-07-26, 2:17pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Hi Helen,

Congrats on your new tutorial but I do have to ask, is the tutorial $100 or did you make a typo??

Old 2008-07-26, 2:21pm

No type, Suzanne, and it's worth lots more! I have made lots of money in the last 6 years making these glass flower beads, and my ebook is valuable. ♥ Love, Helen

Old 2008-07-26, 3:20pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

Looks like a great tutorial!

Last edited by glasshouse; 2008-07-26 at 4:08pm.
Old 2008-07-26, 3:26pm
Mary Lockwood

Good luck with your tutorial, Helen. They really are hard work.

~~Mary

Old 2008-07-26, 3:27pm
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

yes! good luck! it is tons of work!
and I just got done looking at the listing, and wow you have amazing hair!!!

~~
~~

Last edited by Ever After; 2008-07-26 at 3:45pm.
Old 2008-07-26, 4:47pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by helensharvest View Post
No type, Suzanne, and it's worth lots more! I have made lots of money in the last 6 years making these glass flower beads, and my ebook is valuable. ♥ Love, Helen

I'm sure it's worth every penny, I hope I didn't offend you asking if this was a typo or not. I wish you lots of luck selling your beautiful flower tutorial

Old 2008-07-26, 5:51pm

Best of luck with your new ebook Helen!!!
I love your new cottage roses you've got up on etsy, just breathtaking!!!!

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2008-07-26, 6:06pm

No prob, Debbie! ♥ The Roses are sold w/ an order in different colors. Thanks so much! Love, Helen

Old 2008-07-26, 8:00pm

Helen,
I ask this only because I can not pick up the book and thumb thru it. Do you offer advice on sculpting flowers such as your tulips or roses, cane colors and mixing etc? I ask only because the description makes it sound like you are just teaching the bead shown and a leaf tutorial.
Thanks
Jen
Old 2008-07-26, 8:21pm

No, Jen. Those are much more complex.
This ebook will teach you to make a basic and balanced sculpted 5 grooved petal Flower, a sturdy one which could be a springboard for any you can imagine. This sturdy like a Croc and lovely like a spike heel Flower Bead was 6 years evolving (see? I DO believe in evolution. I will have several more later with precise instruction for varieties, birds, fish, squirrels, etc., but this first one is a foundatin for those to come. I'm getting old and want to pass on these tips, and my kiddos don't like melting glass?!? ♥ Love, Helen

Old 2008-07-26, 8:55pm
Covered in glitter

Are the others included in the initial cost or will they be separate? I wish you all the best in getting your information out there but I can't imagine spending $100 on something I can't pick up and thumb through first. Your beads are beautiful so I'm sure people are going to love it!

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche

Last edited by debkauz; 2008-07-26 at 9:51pm.
Old 2008-07-26, 9:09pm

LOL -- thanks Helen for such a prompt answer! That is my quote of the week, "sturdy like a Croc and lovely like a spike heel"
Jen
Old 2008-07-27, 4:35am
Goddess

Love your work, good luck Helen!

Old 2008-07-27, 5:40am

Thanks, Friends.

No, Deb, the additional ebooks will naturally be additional cost. It's a brave new cyberworld out there, and I think the convenience of having instruction delivered into your emailbox, ready whenever you are to print a page to work on when you're ready, is an awesome advantage to a book you don't want to get dirty or have room for near your torch. When your cold drink condenses on it, no prob, just throw it away as a coaster.

I have found throughout the years of my making everlasting glass flower garlands, that many ladies like buying, collecting, wearing them. I have made a lot of money doing it. I have had the pleasure of dressing brides and brideparents, matching flowers to prints in fabrics, and various other personal projects. Wearable Botany is very desirable...if it's sturdy, and mine is...THAT"S what my ebook teaches. The frills come later...gotta' learn the scales and major keys before we rock in E flat. ♥ Love, Helen

Old 2008-07-27, 7:34am
Detail G-Mama!

Good luck Helen!! I know how much work goes into your wonderful flower beads!!

Old 2008-07-27, 8:25am

Helen,
I am considering getting your tutorial, from what I've seen of your work it looks like it will be a good one! But, like Deb, spending that much on something I cant have a peek at first gives me pause. With that in mind is there anyway you can share some additional images with us without giving away any of your techniques?

Old 2008-07-27, 10:54am
disco granola punk

I have a question as well, regarding this paragraph:
"I will email you in PDF form the 2.2MB File, with the password to open it. Please do NOT share my original techniques with your lampworking friends. They are for your beads only. I encourage you to email me if you have any questions, and I can't WAIT to see the gorgeous Flower Beads you make."

when you say "for your beads only" do you mean I can use the techniques in my work that I intend to sell, or do you mean I can use the techniques in beads I make for myself?

(retired from lampworking due to ill health)
Old 2008-07-27, 12:40pm

Thanks, Y'all!
My techniques, when you buy them, become your techniques, and are for your beads to be sold or kept as you like. I just ask that you keep the "secrets" to yourself for your benefit of your own work. I'm a painter, and have learned to translate an image into 3D on the front, but flat on the back, similar to a plaque. That way it has the appearance of a realistic flower, but is comfortable and strong to the wearer. I haven't seen anyone else make these, and I offer email support if you have any questions, forever. Thanks, ♥ Love, Helen

Old 2008-07-28, 8:24pm
Covered in glitter

Not quite sure that this will come across as intended but I sure hope it does. I'd love to buy your tutorial but I won't pay $100 for a 28 page (I think) tutorial. When most of the tutorials (actually all of them) that I've seen are in the $13-$18 range I'm not sure how yours is so different to make me want to pay that much more for it. If you are asking me to consider paying that much I would really need to know what makes it so different. I'm not trying t I'm NOT trying to say that you don't have the right to charge that BTW, because you have every right to charge what you want. I can think of a book that many people think of as very pricy for $75 that has a ton of information/techniques in it, not just one. I do want to say that I would buy it in a flash if it was in the $25 or less range but there's just no way I can ever justify $100 for a tutorial.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-07-28, 8:58pm

You're not alone, Deb..I haven't even sold one yet. Most folks won't pay $100 for an ebook when there are plenty way cheaper ones around. I wouldn't either unless it was worth it, and the only place to get the original details. I know, because they are my details that I discovered from making thousands of petals, correctng mistakes, trying new adjustments, experimenting w/ a husband who throws my beads into a glass water bowl for quality control. My book is only for those who want to make sculpted flower beads, my specialty, and are willing to pay $100 for it. I wish it had been available for me years ago.

My beads are my original designs, although copied often, as you may have noticed through the years. I have been an organic, botanical, realistic and abstract flower painter/gower/crafter for decades. Have you seen how many repeat buyers I have? Click on the numbers behind my name to check out my designs, if you are unfamiliar with my beads. The quality and quantity of my work speaks for itself. God has richly blessed the work of my hands, all glory & thanks to Him.

How long do you think it will take one to learn to make glass flower beads to sell, with email coaching for life? How many gorgeous beads will they have to sell, with my blessing rather than stolen, to make back that c note? Many of my beads having many steps, take over an hour..not for the faint of heart or beginner. You don't want to sell those for $10 either, or you haven't even covered your costs. Those that want it will buy it.

Thanks for your comments. ♥ Love, Helen

Old 2008-07-28, 9:19pm
Ghost Town Glass

Deb, thank you for your post. I was trying to figure out how to ask that but could not articulate it.

Helen, your beads are indeed gorgeous, and I appreciate you posting your thoughts so clearly, without taking offense.

Old 2008-07-29, 4:01am
Gimme that silver glass!

And it is sold. Gosh Helen, I really LOVE your work and I wish I had the cash to buy the tut, really! And if you'll ever make a tut on this one, I'd buy it right away!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Last edited by Troll Lover; 2008-07-29 at 4:06am.
Old 2008-07-29, 7:27am

Thanks, Deb. I think you jump started my sales...sold 2!

Thanks, Anouk. I can't remember what inspired that piece, maybe old barkcloth? My best friend Liz, a master gardener who grows many of my models, ordered one of those yesterday, so I have to make it again...I write detailed descriptions just in case that happens, so I can at least remember the impression that inspired me, but I think I mixed some of those layers for sure. Good day all...hope to spend much of it melting glass.

♥ Love, Helen

Old 2008-07-29, 7:47am
Detail G-Mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helensharvest View Post
Thanks, Deb. I think you jump started my sales...sold 2!
Yay Helen!

Old 2008-07-29, 7:47am
Covered in glitter

It's a stunning piece.

Glad it's selling for you Helen!

Old 2008-07-29, 7:58am

Helen. I have always been a HUGE fan of your beads. Anytime I saw them on Ebay, I would just be so inspired.

Good luck with your tut and the way I see it is, I go out to dinner and spend close to that much. I would much rather have your tut and have a grilled cheese sandwich instead.

Old 2008-07-29, 8:00am
Heart Of Glass Beads

That's so true, Cynthia.

If I could afford it, I would absolutely buy it. Maybe I need to get to work on my own tutorial so I can afford to buy Helen's.

Shine-On Glow In The Dark Glass available in 104, 96, 90 COE. PM for Details
Old 2008-07-29, 11:41am
Storm Queen

Here's my take on all of this and I realize that most won't agree. I think people are selling all of their experience, expertise and secrets that they have developed over many years....way too cheap.

Old 2008-07-29, 11:47am

I agree. Especially the artists who have been doing this for a long time. I think even $100.00 is cheap and the others are going for so little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Here's my take on all of this and I realize that most won't agree. I think people are selling all of their experience, expertise and secrets that they have developed over many years....way too cheap.