Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-12-22, 7:30am

Default What kind of wire do I use for headpins?

I'm sure this was asked before but I can't find it. Thank you in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-12-22, 7:35am
Loving learning

I know copper works, & the black piano wire from the hardware store works.

I think I've seen that some have used silver (very carefully to not get too hot & melt). Are you going to want to do wrapping with it? Stainless steel should work, but it seems to me that it would be pretty stiff to wrap.
Don't get any galvanized, the zinc on it is really bad to heat & breathe from what I've been told.

PS. I'm assuming you mean to make glass decorated head pins.
Old 2013-12-22, 7:46am

Thanks Eileen! Yes, I want to make glass bead headpins where after made on the wire you can use the wire to attach it to jewelry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-12-22, 8:36am

I have been using 20 and 18 gauge stainless steel from McMaster Carr. buy it in the annealed spools. It is very hard to wrap with but very durable and takes a beating. I bought a pair of piano wire cutters to cut it. It will tear up a pair of cheap side cutters. I have used sterling in past and will probably again now the price has fallen.

Old 2013-12-22, 9:59am
Wonder-wench

I've used 22g, 24g copper and bronze. I had problems burning it up in the flame, so now I get the glass molten hot at the tip and then, out of the flame, shove the wire in molten glass. After that I keep adding glass, etc. keeping the wire completely out of the flame

Old 2013-12-22, 11:37am

Thank you Mr. Smeeth and Elizabeth. I have some copper to try. I have 20 gauge fine silver but I know that won't work since I see how quick it balls up when making headpins. Would I use a half hard silver wire to overcome that? Mr.Smeeth.

I liked your description of getting the wire started then keeping it back out of direct flame on the wire, Elizabeth.

Old 2013-12-22, 12:00pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I use copper also, either 18 or 20Ga. There is a thread about sterling headpins. from the wonderful Sharon Peters..
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212284

Old 2013-12-22, 12:03pm

I use Kanthal wire, which is apparantly the metal used in the lampworkers tradition in the Czech Republic. That's where I got it. Very pleased with it, and can hold the wire with my fingers while working.
Old 2013-12-22, 2:35pm

Thanks Sheila,
I read the instructions and I have made headpins on the end of a mandrel then cleaned and used two part epoxy to attach. I have to say, that epoxy is very strong. It also dried clear which is good. I just wasn't sure people would feel they are secure long term. The ones I glued this way I have not tried to sell. I have it in my personal collection but it's stayed glued in for the last year. If I use the copper should I use a pickle to clean the wire? Does it affect the glass?

Old 2013-12-22, 2:36pm

Floorkasp,
That is interesting. I never heard of Kanthal wire. What color is it?

Old 2013-12-22, 2:37pm
Flame Dames Rule!

I've been making headpins on small mandrels then epoxying sterling wires since 1997, and nothing has ever come apart. I posted a free tut here a few years ago, check it out!

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2013-12-22, 2:43pm

That's good to hear Sharon! I just wasn't sure long term. Thank you for the tutorial too!

Old 2013-12-23, 4:39am

I use copper, sterling silver, nickel silver and stainless for my headpins. Sterling and copper are the easiest to wrap once they're made. I haven't had a problem with balling up, just flash the tip of the wire so it glows and start adding glass. I have used 0.6mm wire up to 2mm wire for different purposes.

Old 2013-12-23, 8:24am

Hobby Lobby has steel headpins, I love them.

-Donna

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2013-12-23, 9:34am

I've used both sterling and nichrome.
Old 2013-12-23, 10:00am

Default Kanthal

The wire is like a darkish grey. Here are some pins I made with the wire. I have not cleaned the wire after making the headpins, this is how it comes out of the torch.

Old 2013-12-23, 10:07am
Sheila Davis Designs

I don't clean the copper ones, except for a quick polish with Renaissance wax. People like the "antiqued" look of the wire.

Old 2013-12-25, 8:44pm

I ask this wire question awhile ago and the artist said she used STEEL WIRE. like what florist use. She said the green coating melts off in the flame. She then polishes the wire with a stainless steel brush.

_