Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-28, 9:45pm

Default Bluebird kiln programming question

Does anyone have the Bluebird? I tried to program it, and did not do something right. I want to be able to fire it up to about 950 degrees while I'm working, then ramp it up to about 1150 for 30 minutes to strike any colors needing striking. I then want to bring it down to about 400 degrees and have it shut off and finish cooling down. I bought it last summer but this is the first chance I've had to start it up and use it.

Question, do I need to program 1 program for the garaging stage, and then another for the striking and ramping down?

How do I clear the wrong program from memory? I can't find anything in the manual to tell me.........or maybe I just missed it. After 4 hours, it still wasn't up to temperature, so we must have put something in there wrong.

I just got my new Oxygen Concentrator and new Cricket torch fired up for the first time today. I've been collecting all the stuff I need for the last 8 months and can now work at home. Attached (I hope) is one of the pendants I've made today (first time I tried this technique), it's not a real good photo, but I'll try more tomorrow. I got some heart buttons, several pendants and this mushroom pendant made.......cooled them in a blanket, but I need to anneal them as soon as I get the stove figured out.

Last edited by eej713; 2009-02-28 at 9:47pm. Reason: Try to add photo
Old 2009-03-01, 11:26am

You can reset you Program 1 to this and it should do what you want:

Ra 1(Ramp 1) = FULL ( This is the maximum value for the setting )

oF 1(Temperature 1) = 950 ( This is the 'garaging' temp )

Hld1(Hold 1) = 12.00 ( 12 hours working time time ) You can skip step when you are done see below.

Ra 2(Ramp 2) = FULL ( it will only take a few minutes to go from 950 to 1150 )

oF 2(Temperature 2) = 1150 ( Striking temp )

Hld2(Hold 2) = 0.30 ( hold for 30 minutes )

Ra 3 (Ramp 3) = 120 ( equates to 2 degrees per minute, the ANNEAL RAMP )

oF 3(Temperature 3) = 400 ( well below the 860 'strain point' to be safe )

Hld3(Hold 3) = .01 ( hold for 1 minute )

Ra 3 (Ramp 3) = 0 (This notes the end of the program and starts the kiln )

I would make a couple changes. I am assuming this is boro with the 1150 strike temp. I would put your garaging temp at 1000 or 1050 t0 anneal while you work. I would change the shutoff point to 800 or so. I have a long work time set since I can do a Skip Step when I am done working and have it go straight to striking. You do this by pressing the middle button then the first button twice.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-03-01, 8:26pm

Thank you so much. This helps, I got it programmed this morning, but I was ramping it down 281 degrees an hour, and it was taking forever. I didn't know what temperature I could safely cut it off at. I'll re-program it tomorrow and make the changes you suggested.

Lynn Johnson