No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-08-26, 8:46am
Happy Glass Girl :)

Default Cutting Lentils and tabs in Half

I have been doing this with a diamond bit and it takes Fooorreeevvveer... don't they make a laser for this or something?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-08-26, 9:06am
honorary bead lady

For cabs???? Why not just get/make a cab mandrel?
Old 2010-08-26, 9:47am
Experimentalist

I don't make lampwork beads, but I'd also love to be able to cut lentils in half.

Old 2010-08-26, 11:50am
honorary bead lady

Lapidary saw???
Old 2010-08-26, 12:10pm

I second David's suggestion, I use a lapidary saw too.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2010-08-26, 12:16pm
burnin' glass just becuz

you could also just make them and leave them on the table to cool until they thermal crack (mine will usually split in half along the mandrel) then slump and anneal the halves into cabs in one go. seems like a lot less labour and expense even given the possible waste...

this is purely theory (except for the thermal cracking, lol ) but i would imagine could work, no?

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2010-08-26, 12:25pm
Experimentalist

Off to look at what is involved ($$$) in a lapidary saw.

Old 2010-08-26, 12:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewdb View Post
you could also just make them and leave them on the table to cool until they thermal crack (mine will usually split in half along the mandrel) then slump and anneal the halves into cabs in one go. seems like a lot less labour and expense even given the possible waste...

this is purely theory (except for the thermal cracking, lol ) but i would imagine could work, no?
Interesting idea but when my lentils thermal crack they crack the wrong way, i.e. the crack runs along in the center of the flat side, which leaves you with a very high cab if you see what I mean.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2010-08-26, 1:00pm
Happy Glass Girl :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura B View Post
Off to look at what is involved ($$$) in a lapidary saw.
that would be the catch... how much cash? Checking into cab mandrels sounds good. I kinda looked around a bit a few weeks ago. I will check again.

Old 2010-08-26, 1:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
that would be the catch... how much cash? Checking into cab mandrels sounds good. I kinda looked around a bit a few weeks ago. I will check again.
I use the very basic 3-in-one from... I don't remember right now but it's not very expensive

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2010-08-26, 1:23pm

Oh yeah, remembered http://www.inlandlapidary.com/single...&partnum=10690

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2010-08-26, 4:56pm
honorary bead lady

Well you could buy a cheapie tile saw from HF and put a thin diamond blade in it, and make up a jig to hold the Lentils and tabs

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-...tray-3733.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...+diamond+blade

Last edited by houptdavid; 2010-08-26 at 4:58pm.
Old 2010-08-26, 4:57pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Londez View Post
Do NOT buy that - piece of crap. I own one.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-08-26, 7:05pm

I own a Taurus Bandsaw also from Inland. But this is much sturdier and you can have a few different blades. have a look at it. but don't buy their lapidary stuff, its wishy washy

Intarsia

Love Many, Trust Few, Hurt None
Old 2010-08-26, 8:39pm

You want a trim saw ... that would be the best lapidary tool for this job (narrow kerf), although I don't think I'd want to risk my fingers so use a pusher to move your bead forward rather than your fingers!

I have a ringsaw (nice for fused glass) but would rather have a trim saw for this due to the smaller kerf. (cut - wastage)

Old 2010-08-26, 10:12pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I second the Taurus Ring Saw if you can get a thinner blade. I really works well on my fused pieces and cuts through glass with ease.

Ebay:

Last edited by killerbeedz1; 2010-08-26 at 10:19pm.
Old 2010-08-27, 2:00am

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Do NOT buy that - piece of crap. I own one.
Well I guess it depends what use you intend putting it to. For occasionnal cutting or grinding it more than suits my needs. Of course if you want a heavy duty polishing lap that's another story.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop