No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-06-24, 11:11am
I think I could be a bead

Default Please give me some suggestions

As you can see from the photo, these beads are hopelessly stuck on the mandrels.
Here's what I've done so far.
1) soaked them in plain water
2) soaked them in water with glass cleaner
3) soaked them in water with Efferdent
4) soaked them in water with CLR
5) soaked them in water with WD-40
6) soaked them in water with # 5 & 6
7) soaked them in ice water
put them in the freezer over night
9) used my heavy duty pliers to twist in all of the above
10) soaked them in warm water.
11) used them as plant pokes for a day.

I'm out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions? Help! Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-06-24, 11:19am
Whooooo, me?

Are you trying to save the beads, or just the mandrels at this point?

Beth
Old 2008-06-24, 11:23am
novembersfyre everywhere

Place the tip on the mandrel (the tip with the bead) against a concrete floor.
Take a hammer and tap the end of the mandrel (non-bead) side that is facing you. (I actually use the side of my big pliers.)

It will appear that nothing happens, but keep tapping (fairly vigorously - but not enough to bend the mandrel). After doing this for maybe 10 taps try twisting the bead. If it is not loose repeat the tapping.

I've been amazed at how well this works. Eventually, you will go to twist the bead and it will turn and come off just like magic. The vibrations from the tapping will loosen the bead.

Old 2008-06-24, 11:27am
Entropy increasing....

Those are shapes that should come off rather easily. It's easier to get a grip on them and torque them off. I always use a paper towel in my hand that's doing the twisting.
Old 2008-06-24, 11:32am
boro color bender

If a bead is stuck, please wrap it in a rag of some sort while you twist. The beads may break and the cut from that much pressure is normally a deep one.

All good suggestions so far. Good luck!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-06-24, 11:44am

Thanks so much! I will give each of your suggestions a try!
Beth, the madrels are secondary to me. I'm trying to save the beads!

Old 2008-06-24, 12:00pm
Whooooo, me?

I had to put the mandrel in a vice and work the beads off on some of my first ones made in a class. Might try a vice to hold the mandrels.

Good luck!
Beth
Old 2008-06-24, 12:01pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

What bead release are you using?

I've been using Fusion, and I have NEVER had
a stuck bead.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-06-24, 12:02pm

I switched to Alice's. I've heard it's good, but I'm not sure I had it thick enough.

Old 2008-06-24, 12:20pm

Soaking in Cola perhaps? I had majorly stuck beads once and that did get one of them off. The others broke

: Friendly site for reserving spots in Group Magazine Ads.
Connect with me:

Old 2008-06-24, 12:49pm

I think it was Shari that recommended soaking in water with a dryer sheet, those fabric softener thingies, in the water for stuck on beads. I did try it on a few and had some success. Not a 100% but better than nothing.

Old 2008-06-24, 12:49pm

I'd second tapping the rods on concrete floor. I've had difficult ones come off that way. If they still didn't come off I'd get so mad at them I'd shock them off the rod, of course destroying the bead. Whenever I used that size mandrel I was always getting beads stuck on the rods, but when I switched to a smaller sized mandrel they don't stick.
Old 2008-06-24, 1:20pm

Well, if you give up on getting them off
1) snip the mandrel off about the top of the bead.
2) snip all but ~6" off the bottom of the mandrel
3) sharpen the bottom on a grinder

Then you will have some beautifully decorated stainless picks, useful for raking and such.
Old 2008-06-24, 2:22pm

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the help!

Old 2008-06-26, 1:16pm

WD40 or similar? Spray it one bead holes and leave for a while. It's worth a try1
Old 2008-06-26, 2:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaJ View Post
Well, if you give up on getting them off
1) snip the mandrel off about the top of the bead.
2) snip all but ~6" off the bottom of the mandrel
3) sharpen the bottom on a grinder

Then you will have some beautifully decorated stainless picks, useful for raking and such.
Could they be turned into ice tea swizzle sticks since the mandrels are stainless steel?

Or if the mandrels could be pounded flat, turn them into bookmarks. Then the ones with the cross could be placed in bibles on bedside tables.

BTW, OP, I really like the heart bead. Good Luck!
Old 2008-06-26, 3:16pm

whatever you do don't ask your husband for help..i asked him to get a bead off the other night and shortly after he brought me a busted bead and a mangled mandrel..he meant well!!

Old 2008-06-26, 3:28pm
Yeah me!

Well from the pics it appears that there is no bead release at all. I use sludge plus and it works pretty good. After they cool I soak them for at least 15min and then hold the bead with a soft cloth and the mandrel with vise grips and twist the beads off.

Last edited by honey*bee; 2008-06-26 at 3:30pm.
Old 2008-06-26, 3:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey*bee View Post
Well from the pics it appears that there is no bead release at all.
She soaked them several times already so the bead release has already come off the exposed sections of the mandrel. Plus she did say she used a bead release.
Old 2008-06-26, 4:30pm

I think the tapping might be the key! I have been making tube beads on 1/8" mandrels and I take my vice grips, tap the excess bead release off, then just twist them off! I noticed the tapping helped a lot and it was a complete accident too since I was just getting the excess bead release off. Another thing I've noticed with beads is that if I leave them on the mandrel for a while it becomes increasingly hard to take them off! I tend to batch anneal (work the bead, cool in fiber blanket, then anneal a lot at once) and in the beginning I saved the beads on the mandrels which was a pretty bad idea!

Good luck!!!

Old 2008-06-26, 7:43pm
sunscreen me baby

Here is my tried and true method. Drill a mandrel sized hole through a scrap piece of lumber (like a piece of a 2x4) Hang the hole piece of it off the end of a table. Drop your bead/mandrel in the hole. Using a hammer tap with increasing strength on the top of the mandrel. You can hold the mandrel above the bead to keep it steady so you don't bend it. Eventually it will budge. If you didn't bend the mandrel, you will even get it off.

~

Old 2008-06-26, 8:35pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Plant stakes.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-06-26, 8:49pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
Here is my tried and true method. Drill a mandrel sized hole through a scrap piece of lumber (like a piece of a 2x4) Hang the hole piece of it off the end of a table. Drop your bead/mandrel in the hole. Using a hammer tap with increasing strength on the top of the mandrel. You can hold the mandrel above the bead to keep it steady so you don't bend it. Eventually it will budge. If you didn't bend the mandrel, you will even get it off.
yes yes yes - this is a 100% fail proof method

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-06-27, 4:59am

I have squeezed a few drops of liquid dishwashing soap (Joy I can speak for, but not other brands) on both ends of the bead & mandrel, then soaked in water bath for approximately the time it takes to savor a cup of coffee. Remove from bath, wash off soap and dry. Holding the mandrel with vicegrips, or my favorite - robogrips - about 1/4 inch from the bead, wrap the bead in a piece of thin rubber (like the jar grips used to open jars). Test the bead to see which way if any it wants to turn including further onto the mandrel. I use my mandrels far too long I think, because I have a heck of a time getting some beads off, even if they spin freely on the mandrel ... some have wonky ends making the last bit of removal difficult. I haven't made any plant sticks yet.

I hadn't heard of the tapping the mandrel technique - sounds promising too!

Good luck!
Sals
Old 2008-06-27, 10:13am

Dunno if it's been said yet or not, have you tried fabric softener?
Old 2008-06-27, 1:56pm
weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
Place the tip on the mandrel (the tip with the bead) against a concrete floor.
Take a hammer and tap the end of the mandrel (non-bead) side that is facing you. (I actually use the side of my big pliers.)

It will appear that nothing happens, but keep tapping (fairly vigorously - but not enough to bend the mandrel). After doing this for maybe 10 taps try twisting the bead. If it is not loose repeat the tapping.

I've been amazed at how well this works. Eventually, you will go to twist the bead and it will turn and come off just like magic. The vibrations from the tapping will loosen the bead.
YES!! THIS WORKS!!!! I've had a bead stuck on a 1/2" big hole mandrel for months. I soaked it in everything I could find (besides fabric softener - I'll try that next time) and nothing worked. I've been trying not to think about that stuck bead because it made me crazy every time I did. As soon as I saw this I tried it and it came right off, and the bead didn't even break. If you're worried about chipping, you could cover the bead with a washcloth or something at the point of impact.

Thanks for the great tip!!!
Sarah
Old 2008-06-27, 2:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabella View Post
wrap the bead in a piece of thin rubber (like the jar grips used to open jars)
I have one of those for jars. They work great. I was wondering if they would work on beads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
If you're worried about chipping, you could cover the bead with a washcloth or something at the point of impact.
Aren't you supposed to hit the end of the mandrel, not the bead itself?
Old 2008-06-27, 2:50pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
YES!! THIS WORKS!!!! I've had a bead stuck on a 1/2" big hole mandrel for months. I soaked it in everything I could find (besides fabric softener - I'll try that next time) and nothing worked. I've been trying not to think about that stuck bead because it made me crazy every time I did. As soon as I saw this I tried it and it came right off, and the bead didn't even break. If you're worried about chipping, you could cover the bead with a washcloth or something at the point of impact.

Thanks for the great tip!!!
Sarah

You are welcome, Sarah!

I find this particularly useful when trying to get beads off of those oddly shaped big-hole mandrels like triangle where you can't twist the bead at all - you can only push it.

Old 2008-06-27, 2:56pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi View Post
I have one of those for jars. They work great. I was wondering if they would work on beads.

Aren't you supposed to hit the end of the mandrel, not the bead itself?
yes, you hit the mandrel, but if the bead is close to the end of the mandrel, you might catch it also. The washcloth would protect it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-11-02, 5:58pm
Molten Glass Addict

I made my first goddess beads today, and they got stuck on the mandrels. I broke the best looking one trying to twist it off.

I tried tapping the mandrel on the other two, and it worked perfectly!!

Thank you so much everyone. You are all so clever!! yay!

< me in my younger days

< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie