Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2007-07-14, 10:19am
Formerly known as gamine

Default Annealing Temp for CIM????

I've been using a lot of CIM glass lately and my beads are cracking. I've never had this happen before. A friend said I might be annealing them at the wrong temperature but I can't find a guideline anywhere of the proper annealing temperature for this glass.

Please help!

Thanks, I love the colors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-07-14, 10:30am
da General

I don't use CIM too much for that reason - apparently most CIM have a much higher annealing temperature than other COE 104 glass . . .

There is a thread on CIM and Kathy Seamands of Creation is Messy on Messy Color annealing points for the different CIM colors, posts #24 and 28:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our testing shows different annealing temperatures for each color:
Cirrus 970-1040
Peacock Green 1050
Gelly’s Sty 950
Ginger 1010
Celadon 1030
Butter Pecan 1050
Bordello 940
Leaky Pen 980

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2007-07-14 at 10:33am.
Old 2007-07-14, 10:41am
HourGlass Studio

WOW...annealling temps all over the place. So if you used leaky pen (980) and butter pecan (1050) would you meet somewhere in the middle ?
Old 2007-07-14, 10:52am

Well that's a big disappointment, because there are some beautiful colors there. It sounds like we may have to give up using these with other 104 glass that anneals at, what, 960? Bummer.

Cheryl

Old 2007-07-14, 10:54am
Formerly known as gamine

Thanks for your help!!!!

Old 2007-07-14, 11:18am
HourGlass Studio

Okay after reading all the above posted link, Kathy from CIM says and shows the annealling temps for the glass colors...most anneal at a boro temp or higher like a boro strike temp. So far ( from what is posted in that thread ) Gelly sty and bordello anneal at a close to 104 COE annealling temp.

Kathy also says that if you are using two or 3 colors in a bead, anneall the glass at the target temp of the glass with the highest anneal temp. The only problem I can see with that is that some glass will start to slump at the higher temps.

Ex: 2 colors - Bordello (anneals at 940 / slumps at 990)
Cirrus (anneals at 1020 / slumps at 1070)

If using Kathys suggestions ( anneall temp should match the color with the highest temp ) Anneal at 1020....thats okay for cirrus but would make bordello slump.

So far with annealling I have had no troubles with any of the beads, annealled at 970....just hoping that its not a case of breakage months down the road.

Damn that would suck. I guess I will NOT be selling any of the beads made with CIM....too risky for me.
Old 2007-07-15, 11:37am
A True Woofer

This is why I don't use CIM anymore.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-07-15, 1:40pm

Does anyone know where CIM is made? Thanks!
Old 2007-07-15, 2:46pm
state-eternal change

It's made in China but it's an American owned company, I believe. Check out their website at