No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-12, 2:37pm
old fart

Default tool to loosen a stuck bead

ever get a bead stuck on real good. here is a cheap and easy tool to get it off. go to your local Lowe's or Home Depot, and get a riveting tool. they come with inserts for several size wires including most of the standard mandrel sizes. soak and clean off most of the bead release, then insert the mandrel into the proper size hole. snug the bead up close to the tip. then apply gentle pressure and the bead will come free. if you like a small O ring can go in between the tool and the bead to minimize chipping. then soak in an ultrasonic cleaner to clean out the rest of the bead release. finish with a small brush and you are done.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-12, 3:22pm
Born Facing Left

Well that's fairly brilliant Mark! Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-10-12, 3:31pm
Flaming Redhead!

I have got to try this! I have some real beauties that are currently plant sticks...but I'd sure love to make something with them. Thanks so much for the tip!

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2008-10-12, 3:38pm
Elphaba Lives !!

Hey Mark, how much do those run, if you don't mind me asking ??

Kathy

Old 2008-10-12, 3:46pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Here is one from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...10000003+90282

$18 and can fit 3/32, 1/8,5/32, and 3/16 sizes.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-12, 3:51pm
Detail G-Mama!

Would this work? http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...00S&lpage=none

Old 2008-10-12, 4:00pm

Thank you Mark!!!!!!!
Check Harbor Freight too.
I've seen them in the store.
Janet
Old 2008-10-12, 4:17pm

Thanks for the info. I certainly have too many plant pokes!!
Mimi
www.lilacwindartglass.etsy.com
Old 2008-10-12, 4:23pm

Cool - I have one of these tools ... going to give it a go!

Old 2008-10-12, 6:59pm
Borovangelist

dang, that's pretty darn smart. And it gives me a use for the rivet gun. I swear, you buy it for that immediate use, then into some dark recess it skitters never to see the light again.

|
|
Old 2008-10-12, 7:18pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Mark, you are smarter than the average bear!
Good use for non-bead tools!!!!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-10-12, 9:19pm

Mark,
Thanks for sharing. That is brilliant....Do you clean your beads with an ultrasonic machine???
Old 2008-10-13, 5:16am
old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana View Post
Mark,
Thanks for sharing. That is brilliant....Do you clean your beads with an ultrasonic machine???

yes, use windex in the ultrasonic cleaner, or maybe a bit of vinegar water. turn on the ultrasonic power for a few minutes and most of the bead relase will be cleaned out. finish with a small brush.

Old 2008-10-13, 11:41am
Flaming Redhead!

Ok...just have to say...this method is slicker than snot!!!! Went down and purchased the riveting tool...got it home and tried it on a bead that's been stuck for quite awhile. Not only was the mandrel bent but the bead was 50mm long and I suspect the release had broken somewhere while I was making it. The riveting tool had no problem getting it free! Call me one happy camper, Mark thank you again...truly a brilliant idea!!!

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2008-10-13, 1:41pm
just plain silly

Mark, you're a G E N I U S ! ! ! Thanks for sharing!

Suzanne
Old 2008-10-13, 2:22pm
PyronamixK

Cool! I will have to put one of these on the shopping list.

Mark is a very smart guy, no doubt about it.
Old 2008-10-13, 2:53pm
No Problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserglass View Post
yes, use windex in the ultrasonic cleaner, or maybe a bit of vinegar water. turn on the ultrasonic power for a few minutes and most of the bead relase will be cleaned out. finish with a small brush.
That recipe is fine for most beads but remeber that vinegar, windex or any other acid will dull the shiny finish on any exposed reduction/silver glass.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-10-13, 5:16pm
Mary Lockwood

I use non-sudsing ammonia in my ultrasonic and I've never had trouble with dull reduction glass. I cut it with water about 2:1...maybe that helps?

Great idea, Mark. You are pretty sharp.

~~Mary

Old 2008-10-14, 7:43am
Dances With Fire

hehe...i was going to post *hammer* : ) great idea mark! I was just gonna chuck a really pretty bead...now I'm off to home depot!

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2008-10-14, 7:54am
Detail G-Mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex9 View Post
Ok...just have to say...this method is slicker than snot!!!! Went down and purchased the riveting tool...got it home and tried it on a bead that's been stuck for quite awhile. Not only was the mandrel bent but the bead was 50mm long and I suspect the release had broken somewhere while I was making it. The riveting tool had no problem getting it free! Call me one happy camper, Mark thank you again...truly a brilliant idea!!!
So your mandrel didn't bend more with this tool? Your bead didnt break right?

Old 2008-10-14, 8:51am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

Whoa! We have an old one at the house. Guess what I'm doing when I get home?
Old 2008-10-14, 8:57am
No Problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I use non-sudsing ammonia in my ultrasonic and I've never had trouble with dull reduction glass. I cut it with water about 2:1...maybe that helps?

Great idea, Mark. You are pretty sharp.

~~Mary
Cool, good to know Mary.
Maybe ammonia doesn't have the same problem that I've seen with vinegar? I just figured that it was an acid so it would have the same effect. Could just be a matter of how long it stays in there.. We can always experiment with some reject beads or just a reduced piece of stringer.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-10-14, 9:25am
Peerless Thread Killer

This is wonderful! Thanks so much for posting!!! I'm off to Lowe's.....

Old 2008-10-17, 1:05pm
old fart

someone at WC found one of these tools at harbor freight for $4.50.

Old 2008-10-17, 1:46pm
Flaming Redhead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts View Post
So your mandrel didn't bend more with this tool? Your bead didnt break right?
Right...the mandrel did not bend (any more than it already was) and the bead did not crack or break...

My only wish is I could find a riveting tool to accommodate the 1/16th mandrel...those are still plant stakes...*sigh*

- John Keats
Old 2008-10-17, 1:50pm
Detail G-Mama!

I know! That's the size I use the most!

Old 2008-10-17, 2:43pm
old fart

the tool might work with mandrels that are not the size of the holes in the tool. pick a hole size that will allow your mandrel to be inserted, as close to the mandrel size as you can, and give it a try.

Old 2008-11-04, 12:06pm
old fart

i was wondering if anyone tried this idea, and found it useful. i know a couple of people tried it as reported in this thread. i have found it to be quite useful and now i use it on all beads. the o ring really helps to minimize chipping.

Old 2008-11-04, 3:16pm
Dangerous Woman

So riveting tool is what this tool is called? I won't get that another-clueless-woman look if I ask for a riveting tool?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-11-05, 11:52am

AWESOME idea! I am totally getting one of these today!

Updated Often:

1000 Markets:

Tags
bead release tool