No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-24, 9:19am
To bead Yeah! ;)

Default Making bubble balls

Its not new, but for those who like to know what I did....

I put a small amount of glass on the rod allow the glow to go off slightly, dip in the baking soda, "burn" off most of it until it seems none is left.
Next encase one layer of glass and you see how it creates a reaction, don't let all the bubbles pop, but try and get a smooth ball again.
Allow the bead to cool a bit and encase with another layer of glass. You can heat it quite a lot and see more developement of the bubbles, but don't allow them to come to the surface.

Have fun
Astrid

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!

Last edited by Astrid Riedel; 2010-07-24 at 10:04am.
Old 2010-07-24, 9:35am

What a great technique and can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing it with us Newbies

Old 2010-07-24, 9:55am

Coud you please post some pictures? They sound cool!

Dawn
Old 2010-07-24, 10:11am

That is really cool - i'll try it next time I'm on the torch! Thank you so much for sharing!

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2010-07-24, 10:16am

Very cool technique!!! I have never seen it used that way either. Thanks for sharing it!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-07-24, 10:17am

You're a gem Astrid!
Old 2010-07-24, 10:34am

Smile

Thank you to share Astrid, really appreciated.

Lise

Glass beadmaking since 2006.

Last edited by maroli; 2010-07-24 at 10:41am.
Old 2010-07-24, 10:50am

Those are GORGEOUS Astrid!

Old 2010-07-24, 11:08am
Sheila Davis Designs

Thanks Astrid,can't wait to try this.They are gorgeous!

Old 2010-07-24, 11:22am
I speak Murrini!

Thank you for sharing! Your beads look amazing!!! I have heard of this technique before but the bubble effect I've seen in the past is more like "fizz" - the bubbles are much smaller. I think keys to the difference between the "fizz" effect and the "big bubble" effect may be: a) your burn in/burn off of the soda before encasing, and b) the double layering of the encasing glass, giving the burning soda beneath it more room to expand the bubbles, thereby allowing them to congeal and grow larger!

Awesome...

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-07-24, 11:28am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I love it ! Thanks Astrid... I'll give it a try. It seems to have the similar kind of reaction as the brass mesh (say "brass mesh" 3 times fast!).

Jack

Last edited by J&M; 2010-07-24 at 12:21pm.
Old 2010-07-24, 11:34am
Glassy Broad :-)

THAT THAT THAT!
Sorry Jack, couldn't help myself!
Nice Job Astrid, thanks for sharing!!!!!
Hugs,
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-07-24, 11:39am
To bead Yeah! ;)

De, You are spot on

Jack, yes both create bubbles but personally I don't like the sparking brass

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2010-07-24, 11:40am
To bead Yeah! ;)

Nita, LOL!!

Bed time for me....Bye

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!

Last edited by Astrid Riedel; 2010-07-24 at 11:42am.
Old 2010-07-24, 11:55am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Nice one Nita!!

Jack

Old 2010-07-24, 11:59am
Frustrated Semi-Newbie

A new newbie says thanks. This looks like something that I can actually do!

Sharon
Old 2010-07-24, 1:12pm
Back to 👊 1

Thank you for the info Astrid.

Do they hold up if they are placed in a fiber blanket and not annealed right away or would they tend to crack?

I don't sell, but I would like not to waste glass if I don't have to. I do that very well on my own, thankyouverymuch!

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2010-07-24, 1:25pm

I tried it a little earlier (before Astrid posted) and I can say that you definitely want to do like she says and burn off the BS til you think it's gone, otherwise you get scum and tiny bubbles.

I'll try to post again when I have something a little more worthy.
Old 2010-07-24, 2:03pm
And silence is golden

Thanks for explaining in good detail how to do the baking soda bead technique. I could never get it quite right Astrid!
Old 2010-07-24, 3:04pm
I'm not Barbie.

I've seen baking soda beads before but nothing like this! Thanks Astrid! Awesome beads!
Old 2010-07-24, 11:01pm
To bead Yeah! ;)

Pleasure

No, I put one test bead in the vermiculite and it cracked, rather put them straight in a the kiln at holding temp.

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
Old 2010-07-25, 6:27am
Karen James

Thank you Astrid! Whenever I have seen baking soda used it has only been on the outside of the bead uncovered so it just looked like devit. I wasn't really into that. You made this look gorgeous. But then again, I'm thinking you've cornered the market on making things look gorgeous

Thanks again for sharing!

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2010-07-25, 9:13am

I think that sounds right. A single layer of encasement can get you great trapped tiny bubbles, but this nuance seems to make a big difference! Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post

Thank you for sharing! Your beads look amazing!!! I have heard of this technique before but the bubble effect I've seen in the past is more like "fizz" - the bubbles are much smaller. I think keys to the difference between the "fizz" effect and the "big bubble" effect may be: a) your burn in/burn off of the soda before encasing, and b) the double layering of the encasing glass, giving the burning soda beneath it more room to expand the bubbles, thereby allowing them to congeal and grow larger!

Awesome...

Old 2010-07-25, 9:20am
She's Back & Burnin'

Oh girl, I remember way back when... We had a blast playing with baking soda and posting the beads on WC! I forgot all about these.

You put a new twist on a old technique and make it HOT!!!

Sara

Old 2010-07-25, 10:19am

here's quick test bead using Astrid's instructions. I didn't work it too long and kept the bubbles tiny since the bead is so small big bubbles would not have been a "good idea"

Old 2010-07-25, 10:25am
Uh-oh means it's too late

Thank you so much Astrid!!! I love the look and I had never thought to do that I used it on opqs for while to give a cool stone look but never knew it could be so fun with transparents!!
Mardi- that looks amazing great job I will try it out today I had to borrow some soda from my neighbor who I promised the first bead to

Old 2010-07-25, 10:57am
To bead Yeah! ;)

Mardi that is great!!

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
Old 2010-07-25, 10:58am
To bead Yeah! ;)

With the pale colors you can encase it with the same color so the bubbles take on the color of the glass.

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
Old 2010-07-25, 11:20am

yeah- your gold ones are awesome- or awe inspiring, one of the two and possibly both.
Old 2010-07-25, 11:22am
Dangerous Woman

Astrid they are stunning! Thank you very much for freely sharing this info!!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.