Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-27, 10:17am
Who me?

Default Ideas for Stabilizing Lampwork Beads with Large Holes

Ideas for Stabilizing Lampwork Beads with Large Holes

This is a reprint from a very old thread that I saved on my computer for future use.

Q: I find it a bit annoying that when I string on my lampwork beads that they slide around due to their large hole. I found that with some I can use base metal beads inside of them to keep them from moving around making them look awkward at time especially with some bead caps.

Does anyone else deal with this issue at all?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A: Seed beads fit really well inside a 3/32 bead hole, and I've used liquid silver beads in 1/16 bead holes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A: If you can't fit something inside to stabilize, try a bicone crystal or a silver or gold ball at each end of the bead. You may have to play with different sizes to find the right size to fit slightly inside the bead hole to hold it stable.

If you have any Delicas around, you might try those if you have a bead that seed beads don't want to fit inside. Sometimes the smooth cylinder fits in more easily.

I bought some cheap cylindrical glass beads -- is rocaiille the word? The ones with the shiny silver insides -- to try for stabilizers, but haven't used them yet.
A: I have this issue with beads as well...I use the rubber earring stoppers inside my beads to stabilize them. They're cheap, you can make them smaller by shaving them a bit for a perfect fit...and, I found they work better than putting beads inside.

I used to use the bicone crystals, but they chipped a fair amount with daily wearing of bracelets so I stopped.
A: What an AWESOME idea! These are sooooo cheap, and sizable, too. Aren't you the clever one!!!
A: I used a few bicone crystals near the holes to stabilize the beads. They get scratched and broken with wear.

I use clear 8 o for the 3/32 mandrel holes. Or I use liquid silver it is for an expensive transparent beads. I usually use an 8 at the top and bottom to make the bead snug.
A: I use 3mm Sterling Silver or Gold Filled beads for the 3/32 mandrel lampwork beads, they fit just right, with about 1/3 of the bead inside the bead hole. If I want to use bead caps, I use small seed beads, (clear for the transparent beads) to fill the hole.
A: I use the seed beads, but those don't always stabilize enough. I love the idea of the stopper! I'll try that.
A: I have also used rubber tubing that is meant to cover memory wire. It comes in different colors as well.
A: I use a 4mm bicone, base metal bead. it fits up nicely in about any size hole and does great to stabilize your beads............
A: The little beads that come on a strand of briolette beads work really well, they are a perfect fit for beads made on a 1/16 mandrel
A: I use bugle beads in different colors and lengths to stabilize mine. I want to try the rubber tubing idea though! I have that in a ton of colors! Cool idea!
A: I also use the clear plastic tubing used between bead strands, and to cover memory wire, and it works great! It is cheap & can be cut to fit the length of your lampwork bead. Protects the wire from being cut by any sharp edges on the beads too!
A: I've tried everything and finally decided my favorite look are the sterling silver bicones. They come in different sizes and feel more "finished" to me than when I added seed beads or something else inside the beads. Our jewelry has been selling pretty well since we started using them.
A: I make wire coils and slide them into the holes - 24 gauge wire coiled around a 1/16" mandrel works just nifty in a 3/32" beadhole.
Old 2010-07-27, 10:27am
Macaw Mamma

This is great!! I hate when the beads slide around all over

Torchin' with a Cheetah and a Bobcat on tanked O2
Fusin' in a Jen-Ken
Old 2010-07-27, 10:42am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I have clear tubing that fits perfectly inside a 3/32" hole if anyone is interested. It works perfectly and stops the "wobble effect" when using headpins to make your jewelry.

Jack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-07-27, 10:53am
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&M View Post
I have clear tubing that fits perfectly inside a 3/32" hole if anyone is interested. It works perfectly and stops the "wobble effect" when using headpins to make your jewelry.

Jack
I love that stuff. I buy mine from Vicky Lee. Great solution, Jack!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-07-27, 10:55am
Experimentalist

FYI, as a jewelry maker, I look at a lot of other people's jewelry... and although I try not to be too judgemental or self-righteous about things (yeah, right), one of the things that I think looks absolutely dreadful is beads that are all off-center on the bracelet or necklace because there is nothing stabilizing the bead on the wire (the bead hole is too big for the thread used).

I personally think it looks sloppy. But then again, I also can't stand smooshed crimps and there are tons of people who do it and swear by it.

Old 2010-07-27, 11:18am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura B View Post
But then again, I also can't stand smooshed crimps and there are tons of people who do it and swear by it.
Ugly sharp edged crimps are one of my pet peeves too - nice crimp covers cost about the same as the nice crimps and go so well together. Don't even get me started on tornado crimps unless it's just kids jewelry.
Old 2010-07-27, 12:10pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Aquarium tubing fits perfectly inside of 3/32" bead holes. It's easy to find at any pet supply store.