No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-05-26, 3:11pm
Carpe beadum

Default Outdoor propane tank setup

I just upgraded from a hothead to a minor. I have a BBQ propane tank, a propane regulator and flashback arrestor. I'm using an oxygen concentrator. I'm working by a window and plan to run my propane hose through the window to the outside. I'm assuming I need another regulator...one for inside and one for outside the house. Questions:
1. Am I correct in thinking I need 2 regulators?
2. Can someone tell me exactly what fittings I need (quick connect necessary?) and in what order to connect them? Such as "tank to regulator to flashback arrestor to hose to ?)
3. What size hose do I need? This info from Arrow Springs has me baffled:
HOSE SET
Standard ¼" ID hose:
12½' BC ..... $22.00; 25' BC ….. $34.00; 12½' BB ..... $23.00; 25' BB ..... $36.00
5/16" ID hose for Major Burner and Mid Range Plus:
12½' BC ..... $27.00; 25' BC ….. $38.00; 12½' BB ..... $28.00; 25' BB ..... $41.00
3/8" ID hose for Gas Splitters:
12½' BC ..... $30.00; 25' BC ….. $42.00; 12½' BB ..... $31.00; 25' BB ..... $45.00
Twin lead flexible tubing. Grade T Rated for all types of fuel gases and oxygen. The 12½' BC and 25' BC hose comes with standard "B" fitting on one end to connect to regulators and clean cut at the other end with hose clamps to fit on the barb connections at torch. The 12½'' BB and 25' BB hoses have "B" fittings at both ends. Propane will eventually rot standard grade R welding hose. Longer hoses available. To assure you order the proper hose size, please specify which torch you have.

I also have a bobcat torch which I plan on switching to once I have the learning curve down and feel like working boro.
4. Will I need to change hoses for the bobcat or will hoses for the minor suffice?
5. How often do you change to a new hose? How quickly do they wear out?
6. How much impact on the hose does direct sunlight have?
Thanks in advance for any help you may give!

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 2006-05-26, 7:34pm
Gentleman of Leisure

For hoses get a BB styles.... They fit the regulators and oxycon and quick disconnects. IF you are going to be changing torches you will need quick disconnects at torch end. IF if torch has stub hoses with barbed ends (Bobcat) go to welding supply and see if they can make up a 6 inch adapter hose to connect from barbed connector on stub hose (from torch) to quick disconnect.... If torch has "B" style fittings or just barbed fitting (Minor) get a 2-3 foot hose made up to get bulk of fittings and quick disconnects a little bit away from back of torch...

ON propane tank & line, you only need one regulator, either fixed or adjustable will be ok.... Bringing hose in through window is a TEMPORARY situation and you MUST disconnect hose at end of any session... Best solution is to plumb in propane in steel or approved metal piping on a permanent basis. IF you do it this way you can have intermediate pressure regulator at propane tank (not to exceed 20 psi) and have adjustable regulator at "work station"...

1/4 inch hoses will be fine for most torches ... Only really big torches will need larger hoses, length is what ever you need to get from oxycon to torch and from propane regulator to torch. The twin hose can be separated partially or completely to fit your needs. For propane use get grade "T" hose. Hose life expectancy is directly associated with how much it is abused. Replace a cracked or fraying hose. There is no designated replacement time frame. Some hoses will last up to 20 years or more if treated carefully.

If you have Bobcat, why not just use it... Why go to expense of having two torches that are about equal in size and flame... I would use Bobcat for both boro and soft glass if I had choice of torches.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2006-05-27 at 9:29am.
Old 2006-05-26, 7:58pm

Dale, can you use an oxycon outside? Or would a tank be better? I think I'd have the opposite problem as everyone else because I'm working outside; have the oxycon inside! Ack! Well, I'm on a HH for the forseeable future. The setup I have seems to be working. I'm still on little bottles for now... sorry Carolyn, I'm not trying to hijack your thread! -Cheryl
Old 2006-05-27, 6:30am
Carpe beadum

Thanks for the reply, Dale. I was thinking I would need a regulator indoors and out like I would for a permanent setup. I thought the minor produced a much smaller flame than the Bobcat. I'll have to hook it up and see. Your info was very thorough. I was hoping you would be one to reply. Thanks again.

No problem, Cheryl. Actually from what I've read, your oxycon will work outside if you are in low humidity. High humidity will ruin the seive beds. I think you have to be pretty careful to keeps the filters clean as well. Outside it will be filtering pollen, etc. I'm no expert, but I read a lot. Perhaps someone knows better than I.
I read Jim Kerin's book as well as Bandu Scott Dunham's and found no answer to my own questions. Anyone know of any other books on the use of propane and oxycon?

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 2006-05-27, 9:27am
Gentleman of Leisure

I dont think the professionals in glass writing have really addresses the oxy con issues.... Lots of good information in various forums on "how to" with oxy cons though.... Yes I believe humidity would be an issue... An oxy con was primarily designed for indoor use for oxygen therapy for medical purposes, so I think it best to keep it indoors if possible... Out side in low humidity conditions would probably not be problem, but high humidity may saturates sieve beads and shorten their life...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-05-27, 10:22am

So instead of running a line from the propane tank to the inside, I'll run a line from the oxycon to the outside. That's funny. Thanks for the tips!

Cheryl