Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2007-01-05, 10:10pm
A Splash o' Glass

Default Pictures for ISGB Yearbook

Can someone please give me tips on how I should shoot, resize, etc. a photo to be submitted for the ISGB Yearbook? They are asking for photos to be 3 X 4" and 300 DPI minimum. My old version of Photoshop (4.0) allows me to resize in ppi. Is this the same as dpi? And to increase the size of a little bead to 3" x 4"...I've had a little success, but I still lose some clarity by blowing it up a lot. And they say they prefer, but don't require, that the photo be in CYMK, or whatever the order, instead of RGB. Can I do that in Photoshop? I don't want my photo to go into the yearbook looking like a muddy mess. I work in the commercial printing business, so I know about dot gain. If anyone involved in the production of this yearbook reading this, do you know what quality of paper it is being printed on? That makes a huge difference in dot gain, or are the specifications of being 300 dpi minimum enough to compensate? Is there a maximum? Should I shoot my original photo super close up with the macro, or back off and zoom in? I'll experiment and try different shots, but if anyone has any tips or tricks, I will certainly appreciate them.
Thanks in advance,
Barbara

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by barbbbeads; 2007-01-05 at 10:19pm.
Old 2007-01-06, 9:31pm

Barb,

As far as paper, I don't know but you can go to ISGB and ask.

Barb
Old 2007-01-07, 10:00am

I'll add questions to this thread...
re the cymk vs rgb thing...
I usually resize in paintshop pro. how so you chose cymk vs rgb in PSP?

The blogs of your fellow LE'ers are here...

And lookie, it's all about me... ***
Old 2007-01-07, 8:54pm
Exec Director of ISGB

Barbara,
300 dpi is the same ppi, so your are correct on that. You can also change the color profile from RGB to CMYK in Photoshop, but you may also leave it be and I will change it when it get it. The Yearbook is being printed on 80# coated stock. Any dot gain issues will be address by the graphic designer and the printer. For ideas on how to shoot you photo, please visit the ISGB website under this link. http://www.isgb.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10381 There are some great samples there to give you an idea of what others will be submitting. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at ed@isgb.org.

Gwynne Rukenbrod
Executive Director
ISGB
Old 2007-01-07, 9:30pm
A Splash o' Glass

I finished my picture, have it copied onto a disk and into the mail it goes tomorrow. I left it in RGB, so thank you for offering to change that. 80# coated stock is an excellent choice. My specialty in the commercial printing business for the past 30 years is paper, so of course I take interest in what grade this is being published on. This is going to be an excellent yearbook. Can't wait to see it!

Old 2007-01-08, 6:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwynner View Post
Barbara,
300 dpi is the same ppi, so your are correct on that. You can also change the color profile from RGB to CMYK in Photoshop, but you may also leave it be and I will change it when it get it. The Yearbook is being printed on 80# coated stock. Any dot gain issues will be address by the graphic designer and the printer. For ideas on how to shoot you photo, please visit the ISGB website under this link. http://www.isgb.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10381 There are some great samples there to give you an idea of what others will be submitting. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at ed@isgb.org.

Gwynne Rukenbrod
Executive Director
ISGB
Thank you Gwynn - especially for being willing to correct our photo problems!

Barb
Old 2007-01-08, 7:20am

I think anyone who deals with Gwynne will find she is a wonderfully kind and helpful person and cares greatly about what we in the beadmaking world are doing. She is definitely a fantastic addition to the ISGB. Thanks, Gwynne, for all you are doing.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2007-01-08, 9:32am

Does anyone know how big the image will be in the yearbook? I'm thinking that if it's tiny, (like maybe an inch square) a single bead may be better, but if it's a bit more substantial a grouping of beads might be nice. I'm having trouble making up my mind about an image, this little bit of info may help sway my decision!

The blogs of your fellow LE'ers are here...

And lookie, it's all about me... ***
Old 2007-01-08, 12:28pm
Exec Director of ISGB

The actual picture size will depend on the final count of entries. The smallest I would say will be 1" X 3" and the largest will be 3"x 4". I personally think a picture of one or a couple of beads will work best.
Hope this helps!
Thanks!
Gwynne
Old 2007-01-08, 8:04pm
A Splash o' Glass

Thanks for your help Gwynne. I mailed my disc today. You should receive it this week. I just hope I did it right!

Last edited by barbbbeads; 2007-01-08 at 8:22pm. Reason: spelling