Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Shorts..What do you do with them?
I use them to the very end 231 73.33%
I use them until I feel the heat and then toss aside 73 23.17%
I use them until I feel the heat and then sell them 5 1.59%
What are shorts 6 1.90%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-09-13, 8:41am
Ellyloo-YAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post
My answer to this question has a direct relationship to another question, which is "Do you want suppliers to put labels on all of your rods".

And the answer to that is no, because I like to use my shorts as I go along, but if they have labels I have to stop, pick up another rod and then sometime later spend time taking all the labels off before I can go weld them together to use them up. Or I have to waste my time before I torch taking the labels off.

Either way, I use those darn shorts up completely and curse the people who sold me the glass while I'm doing the label removing.

I also use up all my stringer leftovers and bits by breaking them into small pieces, separating them by colour and using them as frit.

AMEN!!!
I mean, I want to know what they are, but i HHhhhhhhhate labels.
Most of my shorts are because they have labels. Otherwise i use them all up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-05-19, 5:16am
Formerly Kellyhorton

I have boxes of them, when i run out of a color, i fuse um together and use um up

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-05-19, 5:51am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

I've just been saving them. I have a big bucket of 'em. I knew there was a good reason I didn't throw them out! lol.

Old 2010-05-19, 7:43am
Formerly Kellyhorton

I have mine in a bucket too!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomoonglow View Post
I've just been saving them. I have a big bucket of 'em. I knew there was a good reason I didn't throw them out! lol.

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-05-19, 8:20am
Ellyloo-YAH!

I need to go through mine again.

Old 2010-05-20, 11:39pm
Entropy increasing....

I use them til they are too short to hold. If it's a color I really need, I'll weld them to another rod to get the last bit out of them. If it's a silver color I'll keep it. I give away all my other shorts.
Old 2010-05-21, 1:48am
Farewell promises nothing

You can just burn off the labels if you have good ventilation. I just weld them together and then burn off the label. Very very rarely do I have to worry about pulling residue off the end, and I would have had to do it anyways because its from the glue, not the paper.
Old 2010-05-23, 8:09am
Glass-aholic

yea... burn off label... errrr I guess this is where my yellow electrical tape labels become "epic fail"

BUT they say on sooo much better than paper ones mom!!!!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-05-23, 12:17pm
organically speaking

I've been using my shorts to make some really pretty hand-blended custom colors lately. I've actually been using my big mac daddy kiln to do this so it's not exactly 'hand-blending', I guess.

~Laurie

Old 2010-05-25, 4:02am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I fuse them to the next rod of the same color.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-05-27, 5:41pm
Super Duper

I toss em. Unfortunately, I throw a lot of glass out. It just never seems to be worth the time to fuse them together. Thick rods can be shocky when reheated so the entire venture would become preheat, fuse, anneal.
Old 2010-05-27, 6:15pm
Glass-aholic

there is a thread here somewhere on how to make shorts into a business card holder that was a GREAT idea for shorts!!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-05-27, 7:12pm

Save them and send them to me. I will make frit out of them and split the frit with you. That way we can both gain from them. Better than tossing them. Some of the frit I mix that way is really sweet. Of course you have only the frit they make and cant match it. Makes great one of a kind beads. Thank it over. Lovies mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanTheNumberImp View Post
I toss em. Unfortunately, I throw a lot of glass out. It just never seems to be worth the time to fuse them together. Thick rods can be shocky when reheated so the entire venture would become preheat, fuse, anneal.

Last edited by mary1_$; 2010-05-27 at 7:18pm.
Old 2010-05-27, 7:15pm

If you dont have enough to fuse togather make frit.I wont waist ant glass. I have sent some to new people several times. I was sent some when I was new.At lease share with new people so they can try differant colors.Most love it. Lovies mary

Last edited by mary1_$; 2010-05-27 at 7:18pm.
Old 2010-05-27, 7:59pm

Hi Everyone, this is Glenn. I got tired of of getting to close to the flame, So I developed a light weight short rod holder. I use mine everyday. The nice thing about my rod holders is you can actually pick a rod up off your work table while keeping your bead warm with the other hand. when rotating the rod it stays straight.
You can continue working the rod down to one half of an inch.
If anyone is interested I have some listed on etsy

http://www.etsy.com/listing/48141272...set-of-holders

http://www.etsy.com/listing/47016382...lampwork-beads

http://www.etsy.com/listing/47191162...tringer-holder
Old 2010-05-28, 8:47pm
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary1_$ View Post
If you dont have enough to fuse togather make frit.I wont waist ant glass. I have sent some to new people several times. I was sent some when I was new.At lease share with new people so they can try differant colors.Most love it. Lovies mary
The main problem is 90%+ of my shorts is 12mm-17mm clear or black. I don't have much variety. If you can use a lot of clear I will be happy to send you a pile though.
Old 2010-05-29, 5:33am

I could fuse the clear togather and use them. I use clear to pull stringers to twist with as well. Fuse them togather and pull large stringers for encasing beads etc.But you can do that yourself. I use a large amount of clear and black so I try to fuse them most of the time. Black adds zing to some frit. Depends on what color base bead you use and what color you crush with the black to make the frit. I love making my own frit as I have colors no one sell's or I can't remake. Makes the beads one of a kind when the frit is gone. HA HA! If you save some short's and want some frit let me know. Some people don't want to make frit. I use a resporator when I make it I use a coffee bean grinder to make mine. I get great frit with it but it is a mess to do. Glass dust everywhere. Not all coffee grinders hold up well with glass. If you do send some I need to know what coe it is so I dont mix them. I will send you some of the frit I have on hand. Have you had any that is fine as dust? I could send you some. But I use a mask when I use it. I don't want and in my lung's. Let me know.Lovies Mary

QUOTE=RyanTheNumberImp;3049805]The main problem is 90%+ of my shorts is 12mm-17mm clear or black. I don't have much variety. If you can use a lot of clear I will be happy to send you a pile though.[/quote]

Last edited by mary1_$; 2010-05-29 at 5:43am.
Old 2010-06-02, 8:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilglass View Post
If it's nice, expensive glass, I use every bit of them...usually, LOL.

Mostly, I dump them on my work surface (granite slab) and a couple of times a year sort through the mess and bag 'em up, to maybe trade or sell if I ever get a scale. I do have a separate section of the mess that I try to put the expensive shorts in....
Quoting myself. Wow-2.5 years later and I still do the same thing, lol.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2010-06-04, 8:35am
Glass my new Obsession

I have been using my shorts to make murrini

Old 2010-06-04, 8:50am
"Sinners have soul too"

It depends on the color, anything more than 6" stays in the shorts bucket for use in classes. Anything under gets weighed into 1# increments and gets sold... if it's a color I use then I use it till it get too hot to hold and then I "weld" it to a clear rod and use it up.

Old 2010-06-26, 5:25pm
Renee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hothead Beads View Post
I melt them to another rod of the same, like Kalera. No waste.
Duh...why didn't I think of that! I just keep piling them up. I make frit sometimes, but I have a huge stash of shorts

"All unattended children will be given an expresso and a FREE puppy!"
Old 2010-06-28, 2:57pm
Queen Tut ;)

As a newbie, I mostly use the shorts that others don't want....but then they get way too short. What's the cheapest way to make a frit maker? I can't afford to buy one but want to make frit out of the 'short shorts'.

Old 2010-06-28, 3:09pm
"Sinners have soul too"

If you have a kiln you can pop them in, heat 'em up for an hour or so, them pluck 'em out and drop them in some water... put a coffee filter in a strainer and pour the water and glass into it... let the water drain off and lay the "frit" out to dry.

Old 2010-06-28, 6:34pm
Queen Tut ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
If you have a kiln you can pop them in, heat 'em up for an hour or so, them pluck 'em out and drop them in some water... put a coffee filter in a strainer and pour the water and glass into it... let the water drain off and lay the "frit" out to dry.
Awesome, thanks!

Old 2010-06-28, 10:20pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Your welcome! I learned it from Leah Fairbanks... kinda. She heats her glass up in the torch and drops it in water but if your shorts are too short then you can heat them in the kiln and pluck 'em out with a long hemostat or tweezer... easy!

Old 2010-06-28, 10:21pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Oh and this way eliminates any of the glass dust like when using a hammer.

Old 2010-07-12, 8:42am
Beadawhaaaa??

I use Murrini Hemostats from ARTCO for my shorts. I love this tool!! I use them all the way to less than 1/2". The tiny bits that are left I plan on using for fusing.
Old 2010-07-12, 5:58pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

I save everything. I use them down to the barest part where it hurts (years of baking have given me asbestos fingers). I have a "special shorty" bin for my silver glass. I even save silver glass stinger shorties. I use them for making frit. My buddy Dave and I collect all the shocked glass off our work table and make "party frit" with all the cheap glass and special blends with the bigger pieces. I use silver glass in the stick and swirl method where you stick a shorty to the bead and head and swirl until every drop melts in. He just bought a frit maker from Devardi to keep up with all our shorties. Its a lot of fun making and naming them and of course testing them
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2010-07-12, 6:15pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I have different containers labeled , CIM shorts, Moretti shorts, etc etc and when I run out of glass and money, I glue them together lol

I love my shorts. They have saved my ass many times.

Old 2010-07-13, 5:26am
Puddy Cat Lover

I posted this tip a while back. I just melt the end of the rod and slightly squeeze the molten glass with my pliers. I do it on a slight angle so I can hold them with the pliers when I use them in the flame. Then I place it in fiber blanket to cool slowly. With the expensive silver glass, I melt some clear on the end of the rod and then squeeze with my pliers. This is so I can use every bit of it. Waste not, want not. Right?

J.
Attached Images