LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-10-02, 7:32am

Default luggage for glass rods and tools?

Does anybody know if there is such a thing as a piece of luggage, on wheels, (like carry- on luggage)that would house glass, tools and other lampwork supplies to make taking everything to a studio easier and more organized. I rent time at a studio and this would be so helpful, especially if it was flame proof as well. Thanks
Old 2014-10-02, 7:41am
Glass-aholic

I don't know of any. But I know there are some neat bags on wheels for sewers and scrap bookers that may be easily modified. Even if you were to put those welding rod holders in them. Also look into a leather bar/mixology bag that would hold a bottle. It might be tall enough and have room for gadgets and fireproof. Might cost an arm and a leg though! Other than that there are toolboxes in wheels that may work with removable top boxes. Might check harbor freight or widget supply for ideas or welding supply co's.

If you got a toolbox with a lock you may be able to
Leave it at the studio you are at with no worries too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-10-02, 7:57am
Corgi Cult Member

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...-Folding-Cart/

Could something like this work? I envision rail fence sections, or gutter downspouts upright so glass could be stored vertically. Then another type storage container next to those with tools.

Old 2014-10-02, 8:58am
Queen of the milo field

I've got an old hard shell suitcase - it brought porcelain fireplace facing tiles safely through an international flight.

dj
Old 2014-10-02, 10:35am
I fart diamonds

I use a welding rod carrier for my glass and a rolling laptop case to put it all in:

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...per-46477.html

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/targus-m...b&kpid=8488326

I have a GTT Phantom with 5ft hoses and a crapload of tools. Everything fits in the case, including the glass, snacks, couple bottles of water and an umbrella. (Small umbrella.)

(That's not the exact case I have, but very similar. I paid $25 for mine at Walmart.)

Last edited by shawnette; 2014-10-02 at 10:41am.
Old 2014-10-02, 10:40am
I fart diamonds

Actually, I keep my tools in an old purse like this one and it all fits inside the rolling case:
Attached Images

Old 2014-10-03, 11:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
FYI, you can make dividers out of cardboard.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2014-10-03, 1:28pm

It depends on how much stuff your taking.
TSA rules for carry ons seam to change regularly.
It may be easier to ship to the hotel or studio.
Regional flat rate does fairly well, and extra insurance is fairly cheep.

Old 2014-10-04, 12:05pm
Glass-aholic

I don't think they were looking to fly with it, just back and fourth to the studio/home

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-10-04, 10:00pm
I fart diamonds

I just picked up a new case today at Costco for $29. It's a bit smaller than my Protege, but everything still fits.

Old 2014-10-04, 10:03pm

Ok, that seams a bit easier to find.
I know Beatrix uses a fabulous rolling toolbox with trays and drawers.
At usually enough for 3 people to melt glass.

I use a much smaller toolbox with stacking trays for tools and stringer.
and a canvas tool roll for glass.

Old 2014-10-05, 12:20am
Glassy Guy n Doll

Love the flower pot idea...
Old 2014-10-18, 9:13pm
It's all about the color.

I have this in Black. It collapses down when I'm not using it.

I got it when I was publishing cards for working with deaf children & showing @ conferences. When I retired from that, I re-purposed it.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2014-10-19, 6:18pm
I'm meeeeelting

I use a tool bag with wheels from Harbor Freight with a smaller bag inside it for my tools.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2014-10-19, 7:17pm
Flame Dames Rule!

I use the welding rod cases, the ones without interior dividers, for my tools too. Works really well, even fits the big BBQ mashers.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...