Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-09-10, 8:14am

Default czech glass rods

How many people are using the czech glass, the soda lime lampwork rods?

Are they happy with the whole range or is it just certain color that are desirable?

I have some samples and the rods are beautifully bubble free and clear. I only have a few color and the white I have is too thin, like skim milk so I think there is a denser one I need.

I would love to know more before I sink more into it...

Laurie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-09-10, 1:11pm

I love a few of the colors but where are you finding it? My supplier can't get it consistently anymore so they have stopped carrying it.
My fave colors are Grape, and the smokey topaz (light and dark). They have a nice olive opaque and a yummy transparent peach also.
It melts like butter and keeps it's colors well.

Old 2012-09-10, 2:28pm

I have access to most of their colors except a few of the really desirable ones such as denim and tourmaline pink. I like the fact that their colors are non reactive, so in cases where I don't want any reaction with ivory I will use the czech ivory or tourquoise. The one US supplier that was carrying it is not selling anymore. I can still walk into his store and buy some, but once its gone, its gone.

What I don't like about czech glass is the diameter of the rods. The diameter seems to be more of a 8-11 mm diameter as opposed to the smaller diameter of effetre, CIM etc.

Old 2012-09-10, 3:21pm

I just got a few rods from someone who may be importing more. I would be happy to know what colors to suggest.

Laurie

Old 2012-09-10, 5:34pm
Lampworkaholic!

My experience with Ornela glass aka Czech glass is mixed. Some of the colors melt like a dream, some of the transparents stay beautifully bubble free. But it's inconsistent. The peach is pretty but it boils.The opaque fuchsia devitrifies like crazy. I water annealed a big floral today because I could see scum all over the surface of the clear.

I also don't use it in more than small amounts with other 104 glass. I won't even encase a Czech color with Czech clear. The floral I made had a base of clear and was encased in the same clear, I only added vines and flowers in between layers of clear.

On the up side, some of the colors are unique and lovely, such as the denim blue and the grape, the kiwi green, and there is a really nice pearlescent blue and pink. The black is nice too.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-09-10, 7:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by designerbeads View Post
I just got a few rods from someone who may be importing more. I would be happy to know what colors to suggest.

Laurie
I would suggest both light and dark ivory, both light and dark tourquoise, kiwi, reds, oranges and yellow as far as opaques go. I don't use the transparents much so couldn't suggest those colors.

I typically don't use the czech glasses with other brands just because czech's COE is typically in the range of 112 or so. I have never wanted to take the chance on cracking.

Old 2012-09-10, 9:25pm
Naysayer

^ yes this, the coe and ivories

and Elizabeth lol I almost asked what water annealing was
Old 2012-09-10, 9:33pm

I have no suggestions, just another question. So, can you mix it with 104, or is it hit and miss?

Elizabeth, is the mixed one that one that got drowned?

Old 2012-09-10, 9:40pm

The chech pearlized are shampoo glass and they arent compatible but the rest has been good for me, i pulled what I had for sale because I couldnt keep getting it, and I have some of those colors people areliking in this thread. If someone wants some , PM me, and suggest a fair price. I use it some but would just as soon sell it all.
Old 2012-09-10, 10:26pm

my favorite is tourmaline. I bought lots of smoke which I love.
Old 2012-09-10, 10:39pm

I love the Uranium and the Denim Blue.

Old 2012-09-10, 11:12pm
beads....mmmm

I love the tourmaline. I have noticed that sometimes there are compatibility issues with other 104 glasses. So, can only use it sparingly when mixed, or by itself.

::
Old 2012-09-11, 2:24pm

Lovo, love love their denim blue, but I se it only by itelf because I read that there may be compatibility issues. May be there aren't but I don't want to try.

Kreszentia

My Etsy-Shop:
- selling worldwide for 5 Euros s&h flat
My Homepage:

My facebook:
Old 2012-09-11, 4:25pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
I have no suggestions, just another question. So, can you mix it with 104, or is it hit and miss?

Elizabeth, is the mixed one that one that got drowned?
I would say hit or miss. The one that I drowned was 90% Czech, everything but the vines and flower petals. It had a base of Czech clear and all the encasement was Czech clear. It was the scum that sent it to the water bowl. I've had nice Czech clear but this rod was nasty.

I have another one that I made the same way with one of the very pale Czech blues and it is pretty. Again, only the vines and flowers were not Czech. So you can mix to some degree.

I'll post pictures in a bit.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-09-11, 4:28pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmyglassjackie View Post
The chech pearlized are shampoo glass and they arent compatible but the rest has been good for me, i pulled what I had for sale because I couldnt keep getting it, and I have some of those colors people areliking in this thread. If someone wants some , PM me, and suggest a fair price. I use it some but would just as soon sell it all.
Ornela makes Pearl colors in 104. Actually the range is 100-105. They are just beautiful.

Old 2012-09-12, 6:54pm
Lampworkaholic!

Here are two beads made on a base and encased with the same Czech pale blue transparent. All the other colors in the beads, shards, foil, etc. are other 104 glass.
Attached Images

Old 2013-01-13, 9:17am

I use mostly Ornela. I went there and bought it. I am so happy with it that I went back...
There are a few incompabilities that dont like encasing ( all the pearly.. and black, dark red and all the striking and uranium) - a few make trouble and are not used because of the heavy thick rods that spit glass (pink, white, a blue..)
But mostly.. I`m happy with them and I mix with CIM and effetre...
And the most beautiful red striking, the light transparent greens and the turqoises are wonderful.

Don`t go for the leadglass with a modern torch to make advanced beads .. difficult, soft, running...... its too hot.. And something happens to the glass, it get brittle. Try them on the hothead.

BLOG
Nope, not updated...
Old 2013-01-13, 10:19am
Artistically Absorbed

I wonder what type of duty we would pay to ship to the US? There a few colors of the Ornelia that are absolutely divine!!!!

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2013-01-13, 5:25pm
Senior Moment

I have been drooling over Pearl Plum Cherry since I saw it over the summer. Can't seem to find anyone in the states carrying it tho *sigh *

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-01-20, 6:28pm

Default Czech glass- where do you get it???

Where are you getting your Czech glass? I used to order it from GlassDaddy but I don't think he's in business anymore...

All their colors are awesome- the grape, greens, blues, all of them and I've never had a problem with crackage.
Old 2013-01-21, 8:33am

I don't think Glassdaddy carried Czech, I think he just had Lauscha. It looks like he's still in business, but there are several others who also carry Lauscha.
Old 2013-01-21, 10:26am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

http://www.checkglass.com/soda-lime/cat_2.html

Don't know if they are still in business, but it sure looks like it.

Old 2013-01-21, 10:44am
Lampworkaholic!

I'm so glad to see the site back up.

Old 2013-01-22, 6:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
http://www.checkglass.com/soda-lime/cat_2.html

Don't know if they are still in business, but it sure looks like it.
I guess you could try and order online, but last time I talked to them they said they weren't selling online. They have some limited stock in their store but will not be selling Czech glass any more once they sell what they have in their store.

ETA: I can also tell you that their online store inventory is not correct because they do not have any of the ivories in the store.

Old 2013-05-09, 4:12pm

Hi Everyone,

If anyone chimes into this thread again...I am going to try to carry some of the Czech glass....any suggestions for colors would be helpful.........

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-05-09, 5:49pm
Senior Moment

Pearl Plum Cherry! LOL

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-05-09, 11:08pm

Julie, I love the transparent grape, transparent peach and denim blue. The light and dark smokey topaz are wonderful transparent browns that I haven't found anywhere else. I haven't used many of the opaques but I think there were some nice reds and oranges.
Please start a new thread if you decide to carry this glass. I would definitely be interested!!

Old 2013-05-09, 11:38pm

Years ago I made 2 beads with effetre clear base, denim Czech and effetre dark ivory I think. Small amounts swirled together and then encased in effetre clear. Into hot kiln. One bead starting cracking right away. The other bead was OK for about 4 yrs and it has cracked all over similar to the first one. These beads were on my desk with no use. The Czech I have is labeled and the coe's vary.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2013-05-10, 4:08am
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieann1674 View Post
Hi Everyone,

If anyone chimes into this thread again...I am going to try to carry some of the Czech glass....any suggestions for colors would be helpful.........
Tourmaline Pink
Denim Blue
Smoke Topaz Light
Smoke Topaz Dark
Jonquil
Garnet

Shampoo Colors

~

Old 2013-05-11, 6:15am

Bavarian blue pearl please!! I love the shampoo glass but almost impossible to get and yes have had compatibility issues but on their own are fine... Have to work cool so suggesting abou the hothead is sound.
Can't explain but I love this glass ... It behaves in a different way, which I suppose is the high lead content?