Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2013-02-03, 5:49pm
Wyoming Silvers

Question Microscopic camera

I recently had a scientist customer in my booth and he suggested a microscopic camera. He sent a link, they sell for under $100.. He seemed to think it would take incredible photos of jewelry. Anyone here ever tried one out? Intriguing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lovin my Lynx with M20
Old 2013-02-03, 7:06pm
Melody of Glass

Perhaps attach the link? The only thing I can think of close to that is a microscope camera which may well sell for under $100 but you'd need the microscope to go with it! And I don't think it would be appropriate for beads (unless, of course, they were microscopic). I'm curious to know what he had in mind.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-02-03, 7:31pm
Gentleman of Leisure

There are some USB "microscope/cameras" that will connect to computers, but for $100 its slightly above a toy... If you wanted to show some specific area of a bead or jewelery (to inspect a flaw maybe), it maybe ok... But the usual "microscope" camera will probably provide to much magnification to be of any use for general bead photography...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2013-02-03, 11:35pm

He's probably talking about CMOS or CCD cameras. They use them on telescopes also (although those are a lot more expensive) and security cameras. They are very small digital sensors minus the camera and connect to the eyepiece. You can connect by USB to a computer and watch the computer monitor as you capture your image. Neat to play with but as the others said, probably not very good at taking pictures of jewelry although I'm sure someone could adapt them to do a decent job.

Here is a link to a cheap one:

http://www.amazon.com/Carson-Digital.../dp/B001GIJZX8

Mike