Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-08-05, 7:42pm

Default Prolonging the life of a ceramic fiber blanket

I use ceramic fiber blankets to hold my beads until I get enough to batch anneal. With heavy use, the things just keep falling apart on me, though. Any suggestions for making them last longer? They shred on the ends and fray like cotton candy. :/

~Sarah

Visit my Etsy shop for replicas of medieval beads and ironwork:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-08-05, 7:53pm

Hi Sarah,
I saw a neat idea- a wooden box with hinges - for this but didn't have the time to make one. So I used a piece of heavy cardboard, creased fold lines in it for a hinge, and used heavy silver duct tape to stick it to the blanket on all the edges. It doesn't last forever but does keep it all intact. An extra tab of tape on the front of the 'lid' makes it easy to open and pop the mandrel in. Hope that helps.
Caitie
Old 2014-08-05, 9:54pm
Slogan Challenged...

Yeah, happened to me all the time when I used them! I ended up getting so fed up at the expense and mess that I got annealing bubbles from ArtCo Inc. that have worked great. But that doesn't help, does it?

I found that I had to be really gentle with the blanket because they are not that durable, and that is normal for them. I just tried to be careful on where and how hard I lifted. More like just slipping the beads in. This helped a little, just to be more careful.

But they do wear down, even more if it is outside so be prepared to replace them. After the first one or two, though, I could just use the "remains" for the bottom and cover it thoroughly and just lay one part on top so it cut down on the expense. I could make a set last for about month and a half to two this way, replacing that top layer every month. It still insulated fine, but a "box" idea would have been cool. I never did try that but it makes a lot of sense. Have fun with that

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2014-08-06, 2:33am

I'm curious: What is the benefit to using these blankets as opposed to the annealing bubbles? I batch anneal almost everything, and use the bubbles.
Old 2014-08-06, 3:39am
Slogan Challenged...

Well, for me, I first started with the blankets as they were easily available. I suppose that is the benefit?

It seemed everyone used the blankets, but eventually I heard about the bubbles. I realized how expensive the blankets were getting, and finally switched.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-08-06, 4:10am

Check out this thread. Has an old post of mine in it with a great tip.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...+fiber+blanket

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2014-08-06, 6:26am
Shelarious

I had aluminum foil wrapped around the one I used. Worked great.

Old 2014-08-06, 7:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorkasp View Post
I'm curious: What is the benefit to using these blankets as opposed to the annealing bubbles? I batch anneal almost everything, and use the bubbles.
Silicosis?
Old 2014-08-06, 10:32am

I thought you were more at risk from silicosis from the dried mandrel release than the bubbles. If you work with it carefully, the bubbles should stay nicely in their jar, I would think.
Old 2014-08-06, 12:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorkasp View Post
I thought you were more at risk from silicosis from the dried mandrel release than the bubbles. If you work with it carefully, the bubbles should stay nicely in their jar, I would think.
The risk is from the blanket. Nasty stuff. Sorry I mispoke. Bubbles should be fine.
Old 2014-08-06, 4:53pm
Slogan Challenged...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
The risk is from the blanket. Nasty stuff. Sorry I mispoke. Bubbles should be fine.
Whew.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-08-06, 7:07pm
Senior Moment

I still have my original fiber blanket from when I started (and a replacement one, but never needed it) and I used it for at least a year before I got my kiln. I wrapped it in aluminum foil like bshelle, and left enough of an opening to slide my beads in. It holds the blanket together as well as improving its insulating properties.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2014-08-12, 2:44pm
Frit frit and more frit!

I've used fibre blanket, and still do for short sessions at the torch where its too costly to run a kiln for a handful of beads - I batch them later. I cover mine with turkey foil - the tough stuff - for the top layer and the bottom layer is on an old metal tray on top of the kiln to help retain heat. Fibre blanket can be evil stuff if you breathe it in, but not all of it. There is a product that is body soluble which, (according to the blurb) if you breathe any particles in, they will just be broken down by the body and be harmless. There is no need for any special precautions, ventilation, respirators, masks goggles etc It looks and feels like the regular stuff so check with your supplier to see what they are selling you and if necessary ask for the data sheet.
I am surprised people are getting through blankets so quickly unless you are sleeping under them! LOL! But seriously mine lasted about a year of daily use before it fell apart. I have foil over the edges to prevent excess handling damage. Every fiber blanket made is rated for a certain heat, some makes are just for insulation while others are suitable for kiln use, - its often seen on bead doors. maybe the stuff you have been sold is for lower temps, so doesn't stand up to very hot glass contact. On the other hand, if you are changing it the moment it looks a little tatty, then you could contact your supplier and see if they will do you a big piece at a better price. The stuff comes on huge rolls so they should be able to cut you some unless they have pre-packed it all.
Good luck with whatever you choose. I hear the bubbles are amazing though I haven't tried them, but with vermiculite I found I had about 2-3 per 10 beads cracking, while with the blanket maybe 1-2 per 100.
Old 2014-08-12, 5:56pm
Slogan Challenged...

I think that working outside probably had a lot to do with how long my blankets lasted. Also, I was not as gentle with them in the beginning as I should have been.

I have used foil and it cut down a bit on the cracking, so I also suspect that I probably had the lower temp ones you mentioned. They were less expensive than the other brands but I don't know what the specifics were. I guess those don't last as long, or need to be used indoors.

I've finally saved up enough to get a table top kiln I can garage in (Glass Hive) but I'll keep my annealing beads for backup. I think those worked much better than the blanket in any case but thanks for mentioning. I didn't know there was a difference!

Facebook:

Etsy: