LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-07, 3:14pm
Resident Luny

Default putting little mini implosions on beads...ummmm.

I tried today, but by the time I made the implosion it was like...huge. It looks like a tumor on the bead, I stuck it on anyway.

I think if I tried to make a smaller one (trying to make a flower type thing) my little dots would be too close and it would be too small to make.

Mine was kept on the clear rod....I could try on a mandrel to make it smaller, but then the lens part would be scuzzy when I pulled out the mandrel and that small, how could I get a clear lens?

What am I missing here to make small implosions instead of a dollop on a bead? Is there a tutorial for this somewhere? I looked, couldn't find any to read/buy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.

Last edited by lunesse; 2010-07-07 at 6:01pm.
Old 2010-07-07, 7:16pm

In Sherry Bellamy's Chaos tutorial she shows how to make them.

Old 2010-07-07, 8:37pm
LE cat whisperer

If you read through the link below there is some discussion about what I think you are trying to do. Hope this helps.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/ar...p/t-26513.html

Tanya Harness-Floyd

Website ~
~
~
Old 2010-07-07, 9:02pm

Smile implosions

Hi
Jelveh makes these awesome minature flower implosions and puts them on some of her beads. They look amazing! Check out her blog there is some pictures. Too bad she doesn't sell them or make a tutorial on how to do them.
penny5658
Old 2010-07-07, 9:15pm
Resident Luny

Sounds like good tips from that thread, Tanya. I am certainly content to futz around to figure it out, but a first step is always nice. I have the Chaos tut, which is why I mentioned mandrels in my initial question. Well, now I have two things to try. Thanks!

Old 2010-07-07, 9:56pm
I speak Murrini!

I first tried this technique when making the pineapple topper on my Spongebob "House" - I figured it was the best way to get the effect I wanted and keep it super small! I intentionally elongated it (being a pineapple topper and all) but when I first started working it, it was small and round - much like a tiny floral. Is this kinda sorta what you're looking for?

Keep in mind this whole "Pineapple House" is only about 1" tall! The "topper" part is using some small random dots, whereas making a floral is more methodical and placement of the dots needs to be spaced carefully.

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-07-07, 10:08pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

OMG. I lurve that spongebob (necklace? Bracelet? who CARES! I LOVE it!).

Did I mention how pissed off I am that I missed your skull murrini
demo.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-07-07, 11:03pm
Resident Luny

totally cute. I think yo are brave, DeAnne, I would be scared Nickelodeon would come after me for using their characters or something.

That is sort of it, yes. I want it to lay flatter, like a half sphere or a little more, so yeah, not so drawn out as the pineapple top. Mine was just SO huge to get little separate petals....So if I did it and didn't draw it down...or nipped off part...gotta get nippers.......

Old 2010-07-08, 12:05am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunesse View Post
totally cute. I think yo are brave, DeAnne, I would be scared Nickelodeon would come after me for using their characters or something.

That is sort of it, yes. I want it to lay flatter, like a half sphere or a little more, so yeah, not so drawn out as the pineapple top. Mine was just SO huge to get little separate petals....So if I did it and didn't draw it down...or nipped off part...gotta get nippers.......
Girl, if I didn't think someone already had one in the works, I'd do a tutorial on it! I can make little round spheres, floral designs, and even use tiny murrini, but this one I showed was intentionally stretched a bit to make it look more like the top of a pineapple.

There's more tricks to it, too...pretty simple but I'll hope whoever is moving forward with a tutorial will post their plans and hopefully a target date? On a similar note, I've been wanting to write a tutorial on making mini marbles, including mini imploded marbles, but was told more than a year ago someone was coming out with that, so I backed off. I'm starting to wonder, though, if it's an idea I should revisit? I could put it together in less than 2 weeks!!!

Old 2010-07-08, 8:34am
Frit frit and more frit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Girl, if I didn't think someone already had one in the works, I'd do a tutorial on it! I can make little round spheres, floral designs, and even use tiny murrini, but this one I showed was intentionally stretched a bit to make it look more like the top of a pineapple.

There's more tricks to it, too...pretty simple but I'll hope whoever is moving forward with a tutorial will post their plans and hopefully a target date? On a similar note, I've been wanting to write a tutorial on making mini marbles, including mini imploded marbles, but was told more than a year ago someone was coming out with that, so I backed off. I'm starting to wonder, though, if it's an idea I should revisit? I could put it together in less than 2 weeks!!!

Go for it with the tutorial. Being nice to fellow lampworkers is lovely and keeps the communiy warm and tight, but there is also the business aspect to consider.
Old 2010-07-08, 9:16am
I speak Murrini!

Aw, thanks Sam! But I heard through the grapevine that my post above seemed a bit "snippy" and "arrogant" so I'm posting to clarify!

I completely understand each and every lampworker's/glassworker's right (as well as desire) to keep their techniques to themselves!!! And by no means do I think that anyone should feel obligated to share - whether it's with a free reveal or a purchasable tutorial - some of their hard-worked, unique and special techniques!!!

I know that several lampworkers (Anastasia, Jelveh and a few others) are exploring this technique in their artwork and it is just gorgeous!!! I understand totally if they decide not to disclose their process - it's part of what makes their work unique and so alluring!!!

I will say, though, that no matter whether you learn some of the fundamentals of this technique or even had a chance to virtually watch over their shoulder in a step-by-step process, nothing - and I mean NOTHING - is going to beat practice and patience with getting this technique RIGHT!

If you'd like to take a couple of basic concepts that are already publicly available and play with them to see what you come up with, though, let me point you in these directions Check 'em out and EXPLORE the possibilities!!!

Suggestion 1:

Scott Young's "Flower Marble Tutorial" posted on Wet Canvas: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170943

Suggestion 2:

This AWESOME little tutorial posted quite some time ago by our darling Ellylou, which I think has in no way received anywhere near as much interest and applause as I think it deserves! Check it out...then try it!!! http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=57287

Suggestion 3:

This discussion on soft glass "implosions" right here on LE: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=166942

Ready? Aim? FLAME!!!

De

Old 2010-07-09, 1:32pm
Resident Luny

This is all fine. As I said above, a pointer to get me going would be great, and these look fab. I love figuring things out on my own, but it never hurts to ask for help. I learned implosions from Sherry's great tut, and with these ideas I will experiment further. Thanks, everyone!

Old 2010-07-09, 2:50pm
Against the Grain

Your beads made me smile DeAnne. Thanks for showing them!

Old 2010-07-09, 3:23pm

Snippy and arrogant are you kidding me?? I did not even read that into what you said. I think that if someone said they were going to do a tutorial and a year later it is not done then you should go for it you gave them plenty of time to get it done. I am sure that all the people that have done tutorials would not have stopped doing it because someone else said they were going to do it later. There are alot of tutorials that are same or close to the same as others but there is still different info in the tutorial everyone does things differently

So I say go for it De get the tutorial out there!!