Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-05-11, 9:44pm
Dazed and Confused!

Default Total Newbie in Boro

Hi all!

I have been working soft glass for two and half years and wanna play with boro. I am also a newbie to LE when it comes to posting, lots of lurking!

I made my first round spacer boro today and its in the kiln...totally just playing. What I need is advice!

What are some good books to get? I do better with books than VHS or DVD.

Bead Release - my foster fire is great for soft glass, but the heat kills it when doing the boro. What works?

I have a Minor and two oxy's and a holding tank -- its amazingly hot compared to my buddies torches. The glass melted easily, but again the bead release was not holding up. Got my eye protection and kiln schedule -- I am only making rounds for myself and friends, maybe small sets for auction.

I will just be playing for a few months (then hopefully making small sets for auction) and can take any and all advice, tips, or tricks you may have. Links to tuts are wonderful too! If you know any good websites with info I would love that too. I am at ground zero with boro!

Thanks all,
Janet
Old 2007-05-11, 9:58pm

well I am new to boro too but so far here is what I suggest

cook book of boro recipes by lori robbins. - some great color recipes in there.
most of the soft glass techniques apply to boro bead making also but if you want to work up to larger stuff try "contemporary lampworking"

as for bead release there are a bunch of threads on here about it. Some like alice's some like sludge plus or super blue sludge.

I use alice's and dont really care for it with boro. The beads come off super easy and it is great with soft glass but I found when marvering or using a disc masher it breaks the release off. But I am just starting with boro too so I am prob. doing something wrong

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-05-12, 2:41am
Serenity Now!

Welcome to the dark side!! :griin:

Both Glass Alchemy and Northstar/Precision have some fabulous information on their sites...also there's a ton of information right here in our own little boro room...

Have fun, and keep it hot!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2007-05-12, 2:54am

People keep saying they have good info, yet no one ever seems to post a link and google doesn't come up with it for me. Does any one have some links to share for them?

A woman can't be trusted with decisions about her own body, but multi-national corporations can make decisions affecting all mankind without regulation.
Old 2007-05-12, 2:58am
Nah, not really...;)

Northstar: http://www.northstarglass.com/
Go to "Working Our Color"

Glass Alchemy: User Manual: http://www.glassalchemyarts.com/supp...anual-pg1.html

Old 2007-05-12, 5:10am
The Venerable Bead

get doug remshneider's recipe book. I would recommend his boro bead magic dvd too even though you are not crazy about DVD's. Do lots of searches on this board too. we have covered alot of stuff here. good luck and if you need some boro frit blends check out my website. they are guaranteed to please and easy to work with.

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2007-05-12, 5:35am

For bead release, my current favorite is mixing foster fire with fusion. It still cracks but I've gotten used to that. I just keep going unless the bead totally lets go and starts to spin. Try not to direct the flame right at the mandrel. I direct the flame at the top half or bottom half of the bead, if that makes sense. Larger beads are actually easier on the bead release because the flame doesn't contact the mandrel as much.

Sandy
Old 2007-05-12, 7:36am
stacijane on Etsy

Like was said already, there is a TON of great info right here in our little boro room. Being a newbie as well, I started reading threads on the last page and worked my way to the first. There is so much to learn, and you won't find more helpful people that we have right here! Just be careful - boro is highly addicting!! LOL!!

Old 2007-05-12, 8:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodTrailGlass View Post
Northstar: http://www.northstarglass.com/
Go to "Working Our Color"

Glass Alchemy: User Manual: http://www.glassalchemyarts.com/supp...anual-pg1.html
Thanks!! No wonder google doesn't pull up the sites. <sigh>

A woman can't be trusted with decisions about her own body, but multi-national corporations can make decisions affecting all mankind without regulation.
Old 2007-05-12, 8:45am
yukue fumei

here is another wonderful source for boro knowledge:
http://www.thegldg.com/forum/index.php

you have to become a member to see all the info. They are focused almost exclusively on boro. Super friendly people and Matt and Misha kick butt!

nagi

Old 2007-05-12, 9:05am
yukue fumei

Oh, and some great books:
Milon Townsend's Advanced Flameworking Volume 1 is great. It focuses mostly on figurative, but has a great intro on how to set up shop, step by step photos and instructions on striking, frit pickups, tube encasing, making your own cane and murrini, the difference between kiln striking and flamestriking--the works! It comes packaged with how to market your work as well....an invaluable resource!
I got his first video--the one on Borocolor and it is great! he talks about many colors specifically and how to get the best effect out of each of them.

Bandhu Durham's Contemporary Lampworking has alot of great information too--it is a huge store of knowledge.

Doug Remschneider's videos are all wonderful and his recipe book is droolworthy!

and if you ever have a chance to take Suellen Fowler's class, I highly recommend it--she will teach you how to mix your own colors and goes in depth on the hows and whys colors do what they do. It was a really inspiring class and Suellen has so many wonderful stories too(not to mention that her boro is absolutely incredible--wow)!

nagi

Old 2007-05-12, 10:12am
Dazed and Confused!

Thanks all!

I am getting the new bead release by foster fire and heading out to my welding supply for new mandrels just for boro. I printed out the user manuals from both glass companies as well.

I also figured out how to search the archives finally!

Now I just need to read up and make a bead that doesnt get a one-way ticket to the fugly bin!

Currently shopping for the recipe book and dvd. I already had the one book mentioned earlier, duh! LOL

Bead Well!
Old 2007-05-12, 10:15am

I read every thread in this room before I turned on the torch for boro. It totally helped. I got some great colors my first time.
It is WELL worth the time!

Old 2007-05-12, 10:47am
HourGlass Studio

I did the same thing Brandy...ready "every" thread in this room, and took notes. Some major talent in the boro room and some major info here as well. Cudos to everyone.
Old 2007-05-12, 4:17pm
boro color bender

I use sludge plus... The new Foster fire is supposed to rock out too. She gave me a sample and I've yet to find it since coming home from Tucson... let us know how it works!

Keep it HOT. Most of the fun boro colors like to get beaten up pretty good.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2007-05-12, 4:30pm
Dazed and Confused!

Default For a good chuckle...

Here is my first boro bead. I had to stop before it was finished due to the loss of the bead release...so I hurried with the encasement.

Please be aware that I was just grabbing rods and slapping it on! There was NO attempt at being artistic, LOL.

Monday I am heading to my welding supply guy for mandrels and I have ordered bead release, got my second concentrator and holding tank set up.

Now for the show...

Old 2007-05-12, 5:01pm
Somethings grow wild

Location: Soulsbyville in California, just down the hill from Yosemite

Hi Janet
I know you don't like dvd, but this could just change your mind http://smartflix.com/store/category/7/Glass92 glass dvd and videos to rent for about $9.99 a week here's the link http://smartflix.com/store/category/7/Glass
Kare
Old 2007-05-12, 5:02pm
Somethings grow wild

Location: Soulsbyville in California, just down the hill from Yosemite

Oops! I hit paste twice darn laptop
Old 2007-05-12, 5:21pm
Dazed and Confused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by country kid View Post
Hi Janet
I know you don't like dvd, but this could just change your mind http://smartflix.com/store/category/7/Glass92 glass dvd and videos to rent for about $9.99 a week here's the link http://smartflix.com/store/category/7/Glass
Kare
Thanks! I also remembered that the lampwork group I belong to, the Houston Hotties, has a library with dvd and books. So Monday I am heading over to my pal's house (Diane Woodall, she's the president!) to check them out. I'm the newsletter editor and put in monthly reminders about the library, you would have thought I would have REMEMBERED that!!!

Hopefully by next weekend I can show off something a tad "Prettier".

Thanks all!
Old 2007-05-12, 6:13pm
yukue fumei

Janet-- you got beautiful colors!
way to go!!

nagi

Old 2007-05-14, 8:22pm
Mandrel Slayer

Welcome to the dark side Janet. The hotties bought several boro dvds. I checked out Boro Bead Magic last month and blown pendants this month. I be sure to let you know the pendant one is back in May. Good to have another Hottie in the Boro room. Leah posts in here too.

Bonny
Dickinson Hottie

QUOTE=Janet PGS;1164863]Thanks! I also remembered that the lampwork group I belong to, the Houston Hotties, has a library with dvd and books. So Monday I am heading over to my pal's house (Diane Woodall, she's the president!) to check them out. I'm the newsletter editor and put in monthly reminders about the library, you would have thought I would have REMEMBERED that!!!

Thanks all![/quote]
Old 2007-05-14, 11:50pm
Dazed and Confused!

Hey girlie, I know who you is! Can't wait to see how this boro habit develops...I may need tips and tricks from ya!

Nice to see a familiar face in cyber space !

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithfirebeads View Post
Welcome to the dark side Janet. The hotties bought several boro dvds. I checked out Boro Bead Magic last month and blown pendants this month. I be sure to let you know the pendant one is back in May. Good to have another Hottie in the Boro room. Leah posts in here too.

Bonny
Dickinson Hottie

QUOTE=Janet PGS;1164863]Thanks! I also remembered that the lampwork group I belong to, the Houston Hotties, has a library with dvd and books. So Monday I am heading over to my pal's house (Diane Woodall, she's the president!) to check them out. I'm the newsletter editor and put in monthly reminders about the library, you would have thought I would have REMEMBERED that!!!

Thanks all!
[/quote]
Old 2007-05-15, 5:24am

I really liked Bandhu Dunhams Contemporary Lampworking vols I and II. Just finished it - tons of information, charts ,etc. Good reference book. Also like Doug Remschneider, Suellen Fowler, Corbin Freeman, Lewis Wilson and Bill Rassmussen DVDs. I prefer FPI (Fusion Products International) bead release - it holds up working with boro and still comes off beads with little effort. Really like Glass Alchemy, Northstar and Momka's glass.

Best information of all is found right here in the Boro Room - Looks like you have a good start!

Sally

Sally
Old 2007-05-15, 11:48am
Flame Dame

Hey Janet,
Welcome to the dark side! I started just like you and came to the boro room to find tips and advie. The people here love to share!

Even if you don't like the DVDs, I hightly recommend Doug R's boro bead magic DVD. It really shows you how to work the glass and what the glass is suppose to look like. You can rent it from SmartFlix. I believe the link is above. I also have the Lori Robbins book if you want to borrow it.

Just like Mr. Smiley said, work the boro dripping hot...much hotter than soft glass and you'll get some great looking colors.

As for bead release I use fusion products....the same as I use for soft glass...oh and get lots of 3/32 mandrels, I've melted through too many 1/16!!

Have fun and let's see more beads!!

Leah

Last edited by LeahBeads; 2007-05-15 at 11:49am. Reason: oopss..forgot something!
Old 2007-05-15, 9:54pm
Dazed and Confused!

Hi Leah!
I went to the Hotties library and got two boro DVD's. Im going to get an ice cold diet coke, my portable dvd player and lay in bed like the queen watching them! HA

Haven't seen you in forever, hopefully the next meeting? With boro beads?

Hugs,
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahBeads View Post
Hey Janet,
Welcome to the dark side! I started just like you and came to the boro room to find tips and advie. The people here love to share!

Even if you don't like the DVDs, I hightly recommend Doug R's boro bead magic DVD. It really shows you how to work the glass and what the glass is suppose to look like. You can rent it from SmartFlix. I believe the link is above. I also have the Lori Robbins book if you want to borrow it.

Just like Mr. Smiley said, work the boro dripping hot...much hotter than soft glass and you'll get some great looking colors.

As for bead release I use fusion products....the same as I use for soft glass...oh and get lots of 3/32 mandrels, I've melted through too many 1/16!!

Have fun and let's see more beads!!

Leah