LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-02-20, 9:39pm

Default Welding shop-what do I ask for????

I think I could convince my father-in-law to cut my son some mandrels if I bought the rods from a welding shop. I just am not exactly sure what to say to the guys at the welding shop when I get there. Will they know what I am talking about if I say that I want to use the rods for lampworking? (The HVAC guy was clueless when I said that I needed a ventilation system.) Is there a certain kind of rod that I should ask for? I know that Zach wants the 5/64 size mandrel, but I don't know if there are different kinds of welding rods. I am totally clueless when it comes to welding; I've never stepped foot in a welding place before. Any suggestions would be appreciated; I don't want to go in and make a fool of myself.
Old 2010-02-20, 9:46pm
And silence is golden

Stainless steel welding rods. They will most likely come in 3 foot lengths. Take them home, have your son cut them to a comfortable length and then grind the ends smooth. Hopefully they will have the 5/64 in stock.
Old 2010-02-20, 9:48pm
Critter Mom

When I go in, if I don't know where they keep the rods I start out by asking where their welding rods are. Then if they ask me what I'm going to do with them, I tell 'em I'm a beadmaker and then they always know what I'm talking about. Don't know if it'll be that way for you. Then I tell them I need stainless stell 3/32" or 1/16" or whatever I'm wanting. If it's an unusual size you can call the shop ahead of time to see if they have it in stock. It surprised me the first time I went in and the guys knew what lampworking is and one of them was even thinking about getting into glass blowing. I guess it makes since though, they do deliver a lot of oxy to flameworkers and lampworkers so they're familiar with the process.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-02-20, 9:55pm
FatCat Mama

I ask for 308L or 316L welding rods.

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2010-02-20, 10:56pm

I'm starting to get a little concerned. Why are you doing all the legwork for your son? Sure, I know he is still in school and busy, but if it is HIS passion, he should be doing at least SOME of the shitwork.

Are you interested in lampworking? You sure seem like you would be better prepared to launch yourself into this than he will be.
Old 2010-02-21, 12:24am
Somebody's watching me!

Thanks for the tip! now to just find a welding supplier!!

now another question:

the rods that have the "slag" coating on them that you find in lowes (you can buy about 30 of them for pretty cheap) by the small "do-it-yourself-er" welding machines. i know this slag can come off quite easily, are these stainless steel by chance or usable for mandrels?
Old 2010-02-21, 12:49am
Unmedicated since '62

[quote=Bakerman44;2901958]Thanks for the tip! now to just find a welding supplier!!

now another question:

the rods that have the "slag" coating on them that you find in lowes (you can buy about 30 of them for pretty cheap) by the small "do-it-yourself-er" welding machines. i know this slag can come off quite easily, are these stainless steel by chance or usable for mandrels?[/QUOTE]

wrong kind - thats mild steel and it rusts (ask me how i know )

you want 316 welding rod with no flux (slag), its readily available

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-02-21, 2:36am
Alaska Boro

Your welding shop supplier should have stainless steel TIG filler rod. It comes in a variety of alloys. Used 309, but any alloy will work fine for lampworking. As stated, it comes in 3 foot lengths and is sold by the pound. The last batch cost $7.48 per pound for 1/8 inch filler rod. Air Liquide and AirGas are both welding supply shops. There are most likely others in your area.

If you are looking for 3/16 or 1/4 inch try your local steel supplier. There stock will mostly likely be type 304 SS and it comes in 12 foot lengths. Cost for 3/16 is $4.48 and for 1/4 at $6.32.
Old 2010-02-21, 9:43am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerman44 View Post
the rods that have the "slag" coating on them that you find in lowes (you can buy about 30 of them for pretty cheap) by the small "do-it-yourself-er" welding machines. i know this slag can come off quite easily, are these stainless steel by chance or usable for mandrels?
These are usable mandrels. I found some 3/16 coated welding rods in my husbands welding supplies. I wanted to make beads to fit Pandora without ordering them because I don't make them often. I just took a hammer and pounded gently down the length of the rod to remove the slag. Then took a scotch bright and made sure all of the slag was off. They will rust a bit but I just keep the rust off with the scotch bright. I've been using these mandrels for about a year and they are still fine. I don't use them often so I can't comment on how they hold up to regular use but for a "every once in a while" they are fine.
Old 2010-02-21, 2:01pm
picking Job's Tears

I got quoted $21/lb for 1/8" and 1/16" (which is all they have here) 316L.
If you want to go that way, check the prices.

Are all the coated ones non-stainless? - I can't use non-stainless here because of the ocean, volcano, humidity and warm weather. -

Thanks for the tip about using a hammer. I read on the 'net that you can wash it off. Is that not so?
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2010-02-21, 8:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maren View Post
I read on the 'net that you can wash it off. Is that not so?
I'm not really sure. It didn't even cross my mind to try to wash it. The ones I had, had a pretty thick coating so I just took a hammer and it all came off that way except for a little residue. I did wet the mandrel after and used the scotch bright thing. (I think that's what they are called?)

I'm really not sure what the metal part is made of. I just seen a mandrel in the size I needed and used it without thought to the content but it does work for what I need it to do.
Old 2010-02-21, 8:40pm

Thanks everyone for posting suggestions. I appreciate your help. I feel much better now about walking into the welding shop.
Old 2010-02-21, 8:53pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

One last thing - it's called TIG and it's pronounced as tig - rhymes with twig, not Tee-Eye-Gee. I would go in and as for 316L or 308L TIG - they should know exactly what you are talking about and you won't feel like a doof

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-02-21, 9:21pm
picking Job's Tears

Thanks Terri and squidly. I'll have a look at Home Depot the next time I go there, but I asked a guy there yesterday and he said they didn't have stainless. I think for me it's HoWaCo or the bead box man. - Well, and I haven't called Air Liquide yet. Maybe they have it and don't ask an arm and a leg for it. GasPro/Air Gas isn't a place we normally go, because they are so expensive. -
-
-
-

Old 2010-02-21, 9:59pm
offically down under

Another great thing to buy at the welding shop is tungsten to make your own tungsten pick and Chem-Sharp. One rod is long enough to make two picks. To cut the tungsten, I used my dremel with the saw blade attachment with the tungsten in the vice. You need to buy a handle or pin vice or, if you're cheap like me, a dowel stick and drill a hole and glue in the tungsten using and A & B epoxy.

Now comes the fun part. Heat up the end of the tungsten and dip it into the Chem-Sharp. Keep on plunging it in until the tungsten stops glowing. Dip into water and heat again and plunge again. Continue doing this until you get a nice sharp point.

Old 2010-02-22, 12:00am
Creatrixie

I'm envious of any who have access to a welding shop. I haven't found one near me yet.

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2010-02-22, 12:35am
picking Job's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryFool View Post
I'm envious of any who have access to a welding shop. I haven't found one near me yet.
They aren't necessarily an advantage. Around here they're asking $21/lb 316L, that's 8 3' rods, or 24 12" mandrels. That's almost $1/mandrel. I think 1/16" is a better deal, but I'd like 3/32" and they don't even have it.
-
-
-

Old 2010-02-22, 6:29am
Unmedicated since '62

i bought some on saturday, the shop was packed solid with buffy workman type guys and here is me asking for stainless welding rod and a bottle of oxy - you would think an alien had walked in

the guy asked me what i wanted it for, so i explained. some guy behind me laughed and said "you cant melt glass with a torch love, that would have to be like 1000deg , it would explode everywhere" i explained that i'd been doing it for more than a year and showed him beads that i have floating around in the bottom of my handbag, he said "bullshit, thats plastic"

so now i have a play date with a nice welding dude to show him lampworking and if i can show him that i can actually melt glass with an oxy/propane torch he's going to weld me a frame for my kiln - he thinks his bet is safe

Old 2010-02-22, 6:43am

And I thought the only places to meet buff guys was at the gym or the produce section of my grocery store. Welding shop, who knew?
Old 2010-02-22, 7:38am
Somebody's watching me!

i wonder if i can meet any girls in the welding shop? im 25/m!
Old 2010-02-22, 8:58am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
i bought some on saturday, the shop was packed solid with buffy workman type guys and here is me asking for stainless welding rod and a bottle of oxy - you would think an alien had walked in

the guy asked me what i wanted it for, so i explained. some guy behind me laughed and said "you cant melt glass with a torch love, that would have to be like 1000deg , it would explode everywhere" i explained that i'd been doing it for more than a year and showed him beads that i have floating around in the bottom of my handbag, he said "bullshit, thats plastic"

so now i have a play date with a nice welding dude to show him lampworking and if i can show him that i can actually melt glass with an oxy/propane torch he's going to weld me a frame for my kiln - he thinks his bet is safe
You might also want to explain to said buffy workman type that it's not 1000 degrees - it's more like 1500 degree.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-22, 8:58am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
They aren't necessarily an advantage. Around here they're asking $21/lb 316L, that's 8 3' rods, or 24 12" mandrels. That's almost $1/mandrel. I think 1/16" is a better deal, but I'd like 3/32" and they don't even have it.
Wow, that is high. Is it still cheaper to make your own?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-22, 12:33pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryFool View Post
Try yellow pages... Gas suppliers, Welding supplies.. Commercial welding supplies...

Also there is various online welding supply sources..... Just be sure of wire diameter and that its TIG filler rod ... Either 308L- 309L or 316L...

The site below is for example only, I have never done any business with them.... For their selection of filler rods (in diameter) check "drop downs"...

Welding Depot- SS Filler Rod

You will want ROD not spool...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-02-22, 12:38pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
You might also want to explain to said buffy workman type that it's not 1000 degrees - it's more like 1500 degree.
And flame is actually almost as hot as his oxy/acetylene systems....5500° f.

Dale

Old 2010-02-22, 12:40pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
You also have to consider the little rock you are on.... Everything comes in by air or sea....

Dale

Old 2010-02-22, 12:58pm

I am so glad I came upon this thread. I never would have thaught of this. My hubby on the other hand may not be so pleased as this will be added to my long Honey Do list.
Old 2010-02-22, 1:07pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post

Old 2010-02-23, 6:37am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
we are talking celcius - but he was being condescending and chauvinistic.

Old 2010-02-23, 6:57am
Hobby Junkie

I ordered some pre-cut stainless steel rods from speedymetals.com They will cut them to whatever length you want. They were much more reasonably priced than the mandrels from my local glass shop. (They were about 1/5 of the cost.) The shipping was great. I ordered on a Friday afternoon and had them Tuesday morning. They ship anywhere, so they might be a nice option for those of you with no welding shop near by.

Old 2010-02-23, 3:51pm
picking Job's Tears

Quote:
Wow, that is high. Is it still cheaper to make your own?
Nope. Most definitely not, not even not counting the work I have to put in. Got some on the way from the bead box man. Hope they get here by the weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
You also have to consider the little rock you are on.... Everything comes in by air or sea....
Not so little - well, of course if you compare it to the rock you're sitting on it is.
And, on this side of the island we at least have welding shops.
-
-
-