No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-08-24, 10:06pm
Glass my new Obsession

Default How do you work DH Gaia?

I got a rod of DH Gaia today from a local glass shop and I can't get anything other than transparent green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-08-24, 11:47pm

Gaia is very easy to handle, just turn down your oxygen and reduce it.
Let your bead cool a bit and then briefly wave thru the reduction flame.
It turns quickly back to transparent, if you again heat it up too much.

Elke
Old 2010-08-24, 11:48pm
Entropy increasing....

Reduce it and encase it. Try using it over a dark color and encase it. It's one of those that likes to be encased.
Old 2010-08-25, 6:44am
Formerly FishBulb

Elke, those are gorgeous!

Kevan, you must have some sort of magic mojo with it. I remember a thread from a year ago or so where people were having trouble keeping the reduction while encasing it, and I still can't keep a decent reduction on it after encasing.

I've found that if it's reduced while still warm you can get better colours out of it; at least that's the case for me.

I absolutely love Gaia. I did some nice scroll beads and was going to load the pics this morning but the camera battery died before I could. When it's recharged I'll come back with a pic.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-08-25, 6:50am
Did someone say SALE?

My recent batch of Gaia won't reduce worth a darn either. The old stuff was SUPER EASY to reduce. I haven't changed torches or anything either.
Old 2010-08-25, 7:53am

Thank you Angie for the compliment.
Same experience to me with encased Gaia.....no luck to keep the nice reduction!
Just works for dots, if encased very cool.
I've older and newer batches which reduces all the same way.

Elke

Last edited by Locococo; 2010-08-25 at 11:06am.
Old 2010-08-25, 12:24pm
Entropy increasing....

It doesn't keep the shine like triton will, but it keeps the colors. Kind of like clio does or psyche. Or Olympia Rain.

Last edited by Kevan; 2010-08-25 at 12:31pm.
Old 2010-08-25, 4:17pm

I'm still drooling over the fact that you have a local glass shop! Ours just has window panes! LOVE Gaia. Never encased it though. Will need to try now!

Old 2010-08-25, 4:37pm
Entropy increasing....

Now watch it have been some fluke and everyone will try it and curse me when it doesn't work.lol I dont' have a picture.
Old 2010-08-25, 6:58pm
Glass my new Obsession

I got color today!

Old 2010-08-25, 7:08pm
Formerly FishBulb

Pics please!!

Here's one that came out of the kiln a couple of days ago:

Name:  P1010980.jpg
Views: 1420
Size:  50.1 KB

I love the blue in the reduction.

Kevan, I still say you got some sort of super-duper magic mojo. The colour is the first thing that flees when I encase Gaia! Other people mentioned that in the "encasing Gaia" thread from way-back-when. I wanna see pics toooooo! I think it's such a beautiful colour, and it would look even better encased IF I COULD DO IT!

Now watch, I ended up jinxing you and you won't be able to do it anymore either.

Old 2010-08-25, 7:47pm
Entropy increasing....

Well that's just really pretty, Angie. I need to try that, that's super nice.
Old 2010-08-25, 8:04pm
Formerly FishBulb

Thank you very much! I'm finally starting to get stringer control.

Seriously, I'm dying to see what you can do with Gaia. I remember when I was fairly new here, and there was a thread about Pandora. You showed the most amazing goddess made from Pandora, and I ran out and bought a bunch. As you can probably guess, NOTHING I made came even close to your results with Pandora.

You have a real knack for silver glass -- well, ANY glass, honestly, but especially silver glass.

Old 2010-08-25, 8:48pm
Life is change. Love it

I'm in the camp of not encasing Gaia. I have rarely had any luck doing this and have ended up with an encased green transparent.

Old 2010-08-25, 10:43pm
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
I'm in the camp of not encasing Gaia. I have rarely had any luck doing this and have ended up with an encased green transparent.
I'm camping with you Carolyn. After enough tries, I gave up and decided to be happy with how great it looks reduced.

Old 2010-08-25, 11:20pm

Angie.........beautiful round bead and great color.

Found a pic. of an encased Gaia lentil.
Just some hints of shimmer left and therfor the glass is too expensive.

But works better on thicker encased dots.

Elke
Old 2010-08-25, 11:52pm
Entropy increasing....

Angie, you are too kind.

I think I made a goddess out of it once, but not encased. Let me look.

I think this is Gaia, isn't it? Maybe I'm thinking of encasing Miro? Now I'm not sure if this is Gaia or Miro. What do you think?

Old 2010-08-26, 8:37am
Formerly FishBulb

Thank you Elke! Clearly Gaia likes you as well. Even encased, it looks luscious.

Kevan, that is absolutely stunning. I haven't tried Miro so I don't know -- is it a Precision colour, or TAG, or...? Whatever it is, if it does that, I want some!

Old 2010-08-26, 10:01pm
Glass my new Obsession

I am having about a 50% success rate. I will post pics tomorrow when I get up.

Old 2010-08-27, 3:53pm
Lover of all things color

I think it's the heat after encasing that it doesn't care for. Triton is the only one that I can really super heat and not loose the metallic sheen.
If you are just using the clear to cover dots and you don't heat too much you might be ok.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-08-27, 7:14pm

Mixed gaia with Tag Taxo. Not too complex..Sort of oceanic.

Old 2010-08-27, 10:11pm

Im using a hothead and my Gaia just looks apple green. Pretty though.Can I get the colors without oxy? Im very new to the silver glass.
Old 2010-08-27, 11:34pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

my next thing to try... looks like it is going to be ivory and gaia! Thank you both for sharing them!
Old 2010-08-28, 6:35am
Formerly FishBulb

Liquidjewel, I'm not sure how well it works on a hothead. Gaia is a reducing glass so really, the oxy shouldn't matter, so give it a shot.

While the Gaia is still warm, use something to cover the holes on your HH; some people use a thick leather glove, some people use foil. This will give a pure reduction flame. Slowly roll the bead through this flame and remove. Hopefully you'll get some reduction on it.

Old 2010-08-29, 1:01am
Glass my new Obsession

Well crap I busted the gorgeous bead I made with Gaia and Sangre.Gonna make more tomorrow on both the Cricket and my hothead and see what happens

Old 2010-08-29, 9:59am
reaction junkie

I don't encase gaia either - I just reduce and leave it.

/
/
/
Old 2010-08-29, 10:05am
Formerly FishBulb

Pam, those are wonderful! I especially love the top one.

Old 2010-08-29, 10:06am
reaction junkie

thanks Angie! I think I have to pull the gaia back out next time I'm out there, I'd forgotten about it!

/
/
/
Old 2010-08-29, 10:13am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Wow Pam! Love those, if you dont mind me asking what is the red color in your flowers on top and the stringer color on the one on bottom? They are absolutely gorgeous!!! The beads I mean...
Old 2010-08-29, 10:18am
reaction junkie

I honestly don't know. I think the red one is a coral or maybe even poppy. the bottom yellow string I *think* is sunshine yellow. But it might not be as that usually goes orange, doesn't it. I don't think it's opal yellow...

/
/
/