Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2015-07-08, 5:22am

Default Please help a noob with colors!!

Hello all,
Don't post here much but I read a lot! Thanks in advance for all the help you have provided!!
Anywuas, let me start by saying that I'm a total noob and only have about 15 hours of torch time and nine of those hours took place at a beginners lampworking class at zen glass.
I'm having a hard time with colors when making marbles and such. Most of the colors I have tried to use don't end up staying the color they originally were. When melting in color or even sometimes pulling stringers my color will really lighten up, change color, and sometimes even turn clear.
Also some of my colors wlill boil but I know that's from being too hot correct?
Am I losing my color because I'm working everything to hot?
Is there certain colors that are easy and that I should stick to while I'm still new?
If I'm working it to hot how do I melt the color in then?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 2015-07-08, 5:44am
He can do the origami

I will come back to this thread and try to answer more thoroughly later. It may help if you listed what colors you are talking about but I can give you some generalities. First off, many of the crayon colors "solid white, yellow, red, orange, green etc" boil easily. Some less so than others but in general, crayon colors boil easily. Try working them cooler at first and once you get them melted a bit you can work them hotter to a degree.

I would venture to say the colors that are changing are transparent colors. They are designed this way. Not all transparent boro colors are like this but the ones that change are generally referred to as "striking" colors. Depending on heat, flame chemistry, rapid cooling, kiln cycle temperatures these striking colors will change. The ones that totally lose color are acting exactly how they are designed as well. This is part of the phase changes they go through. Reintroducing them into the flame will produce an even different color. They will also change in the kiln.

Have fun experimenting with these colors, layer them over white, over transparents, over other striking colors, encase them and anything else you can think of and you will produce an amazing assortment of beautiful color. Some of these colors work best in high oxygen flames and some work best in neutral to reducing flames.

Otter
Old 2015-07-08, 6:39am
Slogan Challenged...

It might help to work with just a few colors at a time too. As a newbie (remember those days well ) it is easy to be overwhelmed by all the choices. By all means, try everything you want to do, but keep track and take notes if you like. It's all part of learning how to use the glass. You'll find lots of stuff along the way that is unique. This all applies to soft glass too, but boro, I think it is critical as a lot of it is not intuitive.

There was a really good thread on here with one of the boro folks testing the different colors and showing the results after several kiln runs. Don't recall the name but search should help, and pull up other threads like that. I think there was another one too?...

Have fun!

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2015-07-08, 8:47am
He can do the origami

John Lindquist was the artist posting his glass tests.

Otter
Old 2015-07-08, 11:40am

I can't remember the exact names as the glass was given to me by a fellow artist . Some of the colors I remember are pink slyme, wysetria, beryl, blue stardust, a crayon colored orange, and a darker green.
There's a couple more I can't remember
Any colors you recommend for a beginner?