Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-06-11, 2:06pm
Administrator

Default Presses

If you were to buy a press which one would it be? Also, it there a big difference between the tab press and the lozenge/pastille press? If you have one is it worth having both or not?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-06-11, 2:25pm
Boheme Flamework Designs

Hi Corri I can't tell you the difference but I want a pastille press or the emerald cut one next.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Deb Cline
Old 2005-06-11, 2:37pm
Satake Woman!

The tab is flat, and has corners. Kind of like a cylander. The pastille has rounded edges, and on the flat sides a little indentation in the center. I like the texture of the pastille, but need to make tabs to use with Mary's silver findings. However my favorite press of all times is the stop sign!

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2005-06-11, 4:45pm
MomOnAMission

I have the CBS Lozenge. I LOVE the lozenge!!! The beads are soooo comfortable to wear. You can't go wrong with this shape. Very cool Can't wait to see pics of what you make when u decide
Old 2005-06-11, 9:12pm
Fusing Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmaw
The tab is flat, and has corners. Kind of like a cylander. The pastille has rounded edges, and on the flat sides a little indentation in the center. I like the texture of the pastille, but need to make tabs to use with Mary's silver findings. However my favorite press of all times is the stop sign!
I just made a clasp/link for the Hex trio 15mm! i am working on the Square tile trio and of course you saw the earrings for the itsybitsies...round and I am working on the hex and squares. I also have the kalera, the flat bottomed gem, oval tabs, flat bottomed diamond, and some of the two holed ones. Some other surprises in store too. And some of the 1" or larger beads by Zoozii! soon I will offer beads on my site too to fit the clasps and rings and links and earrings and... for those who do not make beads but would like some of my silver work.

-mar
Old 2005-06-12, 12:28pm

Thumbs up

Hi I have both, I have the original 3 size Tab, and one of the 3 thickness one size pastille/lozenge, I really like having three thickness in one Press, Don't have to be nearly as acurate on your glass amounts! The look of the two beads is quite different.
I have heard complaints about the thin lozenges cracking because the glass is so thin over the rod in the middle of the bead... Hasn't happened to me. I have 6 presses the lozenge/pastille is what I use 90% of the time

I have a bracelet on my home page that is the lozenge... I was suffering from bead block at the time I made the beads, or maybe I was watching the fishing boats and didn't feel like thinking? Probably some tabs somewhere in Jewellery

Lynne

www.fireballbeeds.com
Old 2005-06-12, 1:41pm
Formerly Travelin'gal

I have the pastille press and the shape is really popular. I am not sure I would get it and the tab. I have used the tab and like it, but would prefer to have more variation of shapes to offer. I currently have 5 presses and two that are sorta on lone. I guess the next one I would get is a Xlg lentil, cause I love the large focals it produces. After that I would probably get the emerald cut.

Currently I have access to the diamond, pillow, pastille, tile, bead squeeze, princess, and faceted stop sign.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2005-06-13, 11:30am
Metallic Flame Studios

Default borrow of presses

Quote:
Originally Posted by boheme'
Hi Corri I can't tell you the difference but I want a pastille press or the emerald cut one next.
Deb,

I have the smaller of the emeralds if you want to borrow it sometime to try before buying... PM/email me.... I'm in Raytown.

Stacy

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2005-06-13, 4:16pm

I think the straight sided presses are easier to use. I love the tab and the tile, those are the ones I use most often. I'm pretty sure you can get a duo with the tab and the tile in one press. My first press was the lentil trio. I just got the itty bitty trio which I can't wait to try- the bonus with that is that McDuck is making findings that will fit them!
Old 2005-06-13, 8:46pm
koregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorriDawn
If you were to buy a press which one would it be? Also, it there a big difference between the tab press and the lozenge/pastille press? If you have one is it worth having both or not?

well, I will always love the bead squeeze..something about wearing that shape...it is still my all time favorite for bracelet beads, easy to use...and, I like that one number one...I think its called the crunch on cattwalk now.

lozenge over tab...yeah...lozenge is sexier...it has rounded edges....tab is sharper edges, if you were to buy one, I like the thinnest one. for weight versatality, they can even be used for earrings....thicker would be to heavy...the approx 6mm thick is pretty primo in my opinion.

I do love a bunch of the others...those are my top two loves thou, they overtook the lentil for me...squeezed and lozenge.

I do like the puffy pillow and the faceted stop sign, heck I also like the emerald shape.

but if you dont have any yet....get a bead squeeze/crunch or lozenge...you cant go wrong.

Old 2005-06-13, 10:35pm
One Crazy Mama

i would love to see beads along side the presses...hmmm...maybe throw them in the tips and tutorials?