LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Shows and Festivals

Shows and Festivals -- Upcoming events

Old 2006-01-10, 2:29pm
bayoubeads

Default Selling at To Bead True Blue in Tucson?

This will be my first time to fly into a bead show to sell my beads. I usually have a car. I don't think I will be able to rely on the shuttle for going to and returning from the show. (?) What do you usually do? share taxis, find someone with a car, take the bus??? Just one of those details that is bugging me.
- mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-01-10, 2:53pm

Hi Mary,

I'm doing that show too! Where are you staying? I was hoping that if a bunch of us were staying in the same place, we could share a taxi or something? Are you staying at the Embassy Suites?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-01-10, 3:13pm
bayoubeads

Hi Susan,
That's what I was thinking, to get some people together and drive together. I am staying at the Viscount on Broadway. looks like it is about 5 miles from the Manning house.

Old 2006-01-11, 8:18am
Member of the Booger7

Let us know how that show goes. I was invited to sell there, but I was booked last year and this year. I would like to try it next year.

Good luck.

Dianna -

Old 2006-01-11, 9:26am
bayoubeads

Thanks Dianna, we will keep you posted. - mary

Old 2006-01-12, 12:24am
Fire Diva

Hello! FYI: Taxis are hard to come by during Bead week in Tucson. You may want to try to rent a car or set up to have the hotel shuttle take you there. Maybe split the costs of renting a car between a few friends. I know many peeps that waited for hours for taxis to show up.

Old 2006-01-12, 7:10am
bayoubeads

Yikes, that's what I was afraid of. I'll have to call about the details on the shuttle. I would hate to have to rent a car. Where will you be Fay? Hope to see you there. - Mary

Old 2006-01-12, 7:42am
Moving On

Do you guys know if our tables will be draped? I'm still figuring out exactly what to bring, and I'm thinking either fabric or table cloth to go on top.

Are any of you shipping stuff in advance? Luckily I'm staying w/my cousin, but she has a tiny house, and I hate to ship box after box of frit and glass to her, but when I talked to the show organizer, she said I could only ship USPS to Manning House if the mail carrier will bring the boxes into the storage room. How the heck could I know that?????--Gail

Old 2006-01-12, 7:43am
Moving On

BTW, if I succumb to asthma from my cousin's cats and have to impose myself onto Sue's floor or sofa at Embassy Suites, the good news is that I'll have a car to share. So it is up to you to wish asthma upon me!

Old 2006-01-12, 9:29am

To all my fellow To Bead True Blue'ers,

I just spoke to Anna Johnson because I was getting nervous about all the uncertainties being posted here....So, here's the scoop!

You can ship UPS to the Manning house - arriving not before 1/23 or after 1/27.

There is a shuttle arranged by the show to pick up vendors from the Embassy Suites....I am not sure about any of the other hotels....I am thinking possibly the Viscount, because she said a lot of people are staying there also. There are two shuttle times in the morning....8 a.m. and 9 a.m. Your hotel will know the details...although I wouldn't necessarily call them now because my hotel told me there was no transportation.....

Anna said that if you need to take a taxi back in the evening, to have the hotel arrange for a taxi to be at the Manning House every evening at the same time each night.

So...I hope this answers some of the questions out there!

Gail.....I am soooo making you sleep on the floor if your decide to impose upon us! Oh yeah...you said you have a car? Hehe.... Plenty of room for you to be nice and comfy! No worries!

See everyone very soon!!!!!

Old 2006-01-12, 11:00am
bayoubeads

Thanks Susan for all the info.
Info for vendors about shipping, hotels, etc. is on this page for Bead True Blue:
http://www.beadagio.com/exhibitor/update.html

Maybe we can all meet the first night somewhere?

Mary

Old 2006-01-12, 11:19am

Mary,

Thanks so much for the page link. I have been on that site so many times and never saw that! That has a ton of info. Plus there is all that tax stuff that needs to be done beforehand. I wouldn't have known that! EEK!

Meeting the first night somewhere would be great. I have never been there before, and have no clue about places to go or EAT! Maybe someone can give us some good recommendations?

Old 2006-01-12, 1:13pm
bayoubeads

glad you saw the tax thing. I missed it. It was tricky (at least for me) to find the tax form.
here's the link: http://www.azdor.gov/Forms/transaction.asp

Now if I could find the code for Tucson....
Mary

Old 2006-01-12, 1:17pm
bayoubeads

At my hotel's website (Viscount) they have a handy map of the area. There is a TGIFridays next to the Viscount on Broadway Blvd.

Old 2006-01-12, 1:31pm

TGIFriday's sounds perfect! And within walking distance.... ...that means we can stumble...er, I mean walk home. Hehe...

Did you find the city code for Tucson? Maybe that's not one of the cities that needs to be listed in thath space? Hmmmmm.....

Old 2006-01-12, 3:13pm
bayoubeads

I'm just going to write in "tucson" That fee will be collected at the show as far as I can tell. It's $28.
It may be 9-10pm till I can get to TGIF's My plane arrives at 8pm. I'm sure I'll be ready for some "refreshments"....

Old 2006-01-12, 6:35pm
Moving On

ooops, I forgot to even think about that tax stuff. I just printed it out. Do you think I'll be in trouble for sending it too late? Maybe I should Priority Mail it. What IS the sales tax there, anyway? On the good news front, I found a really pretty table runner on sale at Linens n Things today for only $9.99, and it reminds me of a frit blend!--Gail

Old 2006-01-12, 6:40pm

I hope it's not too late! I just printed mine off too! Did you ever find out if the tables were going to be skirted? I'm planning on not...just in case. Your table runner sounds perty!!! I do not know what the sales tax is in AZ...maybe someone else here knows?

Old 2006-01-12, 7:09pm
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by beading57
I hope it's not too late! I just printed mine off too! Did you ever find out if the tables were going to be skirted? I'm planning on not...just in case. Your table runner sounds perty!!! I do not know what the sales tax is in AZ...maybe someone else here knows?
On another thread they thought the tax in Tucson was 7%.

Well, on the upside, I know of a Target near my cousin's house, and can do a run for missing items (and will take orders)!

Old 2006-01-12, 7:10pm
bayoubeads

I'm pretty sure Anna said that the tables would have skirts. I'm bringing a couple of table cloths one for the table and one to cover up with at night. (I usually take all my beads with me) I'm mailing off my tax form tomorrow. I'll make a copy of it to take with me also. I've emailed Anna about the sales tax question.
Later,
mary

Old 2006-01-12, 11:53pm
Fire Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubeads
I'm mailing off my tax form tomorrow. I'll make a copy of it to take with me also. mary
Hi Mary! Definitely bring any forms for AZ with you...you might want to bring 2 copies (and leave a copy at home). The state of AZ and Tucson have people that go around each show to make sure you have paid to sell in the city/state. So if you send in your check make sure you have documentation at the show otherwise you might have to pay again.

Just a heads up.

Old 2006-01-13, 11:56am
bayoubeads

I just talked to the AZ tax office. If you send it in NOW - It will probably get processed, and they will return your documents with a number. If you don't get it before you leave for Tucson, then you can call and they will tell you your number over the phone.

Old 2006-01-15, 3:04pm

Hey Mary. I emailed Anna and she said the tables are not skirted, so I'll make my red w/ huge roses tablecloth as planned. Love, Helen

Before His throne is a sea of glass like crystal.

Last edited by helensharvest; 2006-01-15 at 3:47pm.
Old 2006-01-15, 3:38pm
bayoubeads

Thanks Helen. My suitcase just got a little more stuffed. May have to go for the larger one. -mj

Old 2006-01-18, 8:37am
bayoubeads

Here are a couple of websites that may help us get around at the bead shows:

Special shuttle system to all the shows:
http://www.tucsonshowguide.com/tsg/shuttle.cfm

City Bus system: You can just call 520-792-9222 and tell them where you are staying and where you are going and they will tell you which bus to take. You can get an all day pass to anywhere for $2, purchased from the bus driver.
http://suntran.com/

And be sure to come by my booth to visit: To BEAD TRUE BLUE look for me in the Lavendar Room booth # LB 173N

Old 2006-01-25, 3:21pm
Member of the Booger7

Thumbs up

You all are just about to head out right?
Good luck! Hopefully next year I'll be sitting at a booth near you or at the very least doing some shopping!!!

Dianna -

Old 2006-01-26, 10:34am
bug freak -> glass freak

Hi Tucson-bound folks!!!

I figured I'd answer a few Tucson questions since I live here...
--- team up on rental cars if you can and reserve quickly... every single rental car company knows that it's gem show time... mid-size cars are starting as high as $179/day.

--- Tucson sales tax is 7.6% (5.6% to AZ state, 2% city of Tucson)

--- Ladies, the Friday's/ Viscount to which you refer is about 6 blocks from my house! When are you arriving? If you're up for it, maybe I'll take a break from the torch and come join you for a drink! Call me (phone # on my website) or email me if you need recommendations or help with anything. Wish I could provide rides for you in the morning, but I'll be at Best Bead! Jerry Bob's (a good, but very greasy spoon-type diner) is across the street from the hotel. That's the place to go if you want a serious breakfast...

--- My favorite restaurants in Tucson:

Mexican: Cafe Poca Cosa (nicer, downtown), El Charro (downtown and Broadway/ Wilmot, get the carne seca), Casa Molina (on Speedway, E), La Indita (4th Ave), El Sabroso (on Grande, W of downtown)

Everything else: Sushi Garden (Alvernon/ Broadway), Feast (Speedway), Amareno's (Italian, far east on 22nd/ Sarnoff?), Stopani's (Italian, very small and cozy place, 22nd/ Craycroft), Takamatsu (teppan and sushi, on Speedway/ Craycroft).

--- Can't wait!!! less than a week till it all starts!!!

Check out my website!

Old 2006-01-26, 4:09pm
bayoubeads

Thanks so much Margaret!!
I get in Monday at 7 or 8 pm.
Maybe we can all organize something for Tues. I have your phone number. We'll give you a call.
I can't wait to get some REAL Mexican food. The food is wonderful down here but they sure don't know how to cook mexican. I also love sushi.
Your beads are wonderful - BTW.
Mary

Old 2006-01-26, 4:42pm
bug freak -> glass freak

Mary- Set-up is Monday for me, and I have to be home in the afternoon/ evening to await a package of posters (nothin' like last minute deliveries) that I need for Best Bead on Tuesday... so I should be home, but may be still getting prepped for the show... who knows!

Yup, we have some fabulous Mexican food here. Closest to Viscount/ Friday's are El Charro and Casa Molina, both of which are locally owned, reasonably priced ($10-15/ entree) and very, very good.

Check out my website!

Old 2006-01-26, 6:15pm
bayoubeads

It's so great to get some good local info - Thanks Margaret.
- mj