LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-03-30, 2:58pm

Default Vetrofond, how compatible is it really with effetre?

Well, this is my first question on LE.
I am sooooo frustrated, nearly everything I am making is breaking.
The only thing I'm doing differently is using a lot of vetrofond as one of our suppliers here in Oz had a sale. It really doesn't seem to like DH either. I've even had small beads for earrings simply snap in half.
Anyone else had this problem or have any ideas? I'm about to lose my temper as I have lost so many of my nicest beads.
Susan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-03-30, 3:12pm
BeadsonCypress

I mix them all the time. Not to say I don't ever crack a bead, but it is usually more my fault than the glass (thermal cracks) The worst cracks are when I accidently mix 96 and 104.....so I put that in a place that is not easily accessible and mark the rods!
Usually when they snap in half it is a thermal crack....are you going right into a kiln or crock pot, or blanket?

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2009-03-30, 3:13pm
da General

I have not had issues with Vetrofond being incompatible with Double Helix (or Effetre) glass and I use them all together all the time. Do you mind sharing some color combos that have given you problem? Perhaps show some pictures?

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-03-30, 4:55pm

Well, I've used all sorts of combinations. the little beads that died were Vetrofond dark ivory with a strip of psyche, reduced, then the psyche covered in vetrofond clear. Using effetre, I have done this over and over and Never had one break or crack...three out of 4 did it with this combo. I place all my beads in vermiculite ( looks like that's a touchy subject on another thread) and then batch anneal on a cycle that takes about 13 hours. I have dropped a massive bead with a sculptural dragon head on the concrete and it bounced...I was impressed. I have also used a number of Vetrofond odd lots with handmade murrini and dobs of clear, plus swirls of colour underneath that are a mix of effetre and vetrofond. Yesterday, I did a bead with tranparent effetre denim, coated in silver foil, melted in, heaps of tiny dots of DH in the middle, melted in, coil of vetrofond clear, melted in,encased in clear, melted in, squashed, reheated,all the way thru', placed in vemiculite sitting at around 250 Celcius, allowed to cool to room temperature for around 4 hours. looked perfect. This morning it has a crack down the centre on one side, only where the double helix is(this is also a very small amount of DH)...at either end where it is the denim and foil...nothing. I have been making largish beads since I started beadmaking 3 years ago and up until recently they were even put into unheated vermiculite ( I live in South East Queensland where you can grow tomatoes in winter). I also do a lot of sculptural stuff and previously have almost never had a problem. Will try to take a few photos of things this afternoon when I get good light next to the pizza oven. Thanks, Susan

Old 2009-03-30, 5:25pm
Super Duper

Incompatibility cracks are generally more spiderwebby and random.

A clean flat break right down the center generally indicates thermal stress or improper annealing, pictures will help.
Old 2009-03-30, 5:31pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

There are some issues with different clears and the various silver glasses. pics definitely are needed.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.