Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2012-04-03, 2:04pm

Default Butterfly Beads

Excerpt from the online blog "Heavenly Lemonade"

Since her death, I’ve been putting various cards, photos, etc. into the box, but I haven’t had the courage to go through the box until tonight. I began thumbing through the contents and starting pinning them inside her shadowbox. Several treasured items in particular brought back the sting of bittersweet memories.

The first little mementos I found were her birthday sign, the “big brother” wristbands the boys wore to visit their sister, and my wristband that says “female.” Egleston never did put Stella’s name on my wristband or any other card like they they usually do. She was just listed as “baby girl Eber.”

The second things I found were the beaded heart and dried rose from her funeral.

Then I began looking through the ultrasound photos. I found my favorite one, a 4D photo that was taken when I was 30 weeks pregnant. Stella was happily sucking on her hand, acting like a normal baby. This photo is so sweet. I looked through a few more ultrasound photos, and then I found one I don’t even remember the perinatologist having taken. It was from October 1st, my last appointment, when the doctor told me I would meet Stella in three days time, on that Monday. A beautiful profile of my 4-pound little girl. A choking feeling in the back of my throat.

The last thing I happened upon that I pinned in her shadowbox tonight was the one that hit me the hardest. It’s a little butterfly bead that was sent by the hospital as Stella’s last bead of hope. During the only week of her life, when Stella was at Egleston, she had a string of beads hanging from her isolet. For every procedure, test, blood transfusion, etc…for every challenge Stella faced, the nurses strung a new bead on her “beads of hope.” When she died, we brought her beads home with us. I have not yet been able to look at the beads. But, tonight, I found the butterfly bead, and I hung it up.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Stella's Butterfly Bead
The card that came with the butterfly says, “Butterflies throughout time have brought much hope to those who are griveing. We hope in some small way the butterfly bead may help to bring you hope and peace.” - With Love From Beads of Courage

When I asked Mike to find the rest of the beads for me so I can hang them up too, he told me something about the day Stella died that I had totally forgotten. He said that I was wearing her beads on the way home. Her beads of courage. Ironically, I do remember feeling very courageous the day I said goodbye to my daugther – held up by the prayers of those who love us. But wow, how I miss my baby girl.

Last edited by Robinj; 2012-04-03 at 2:12pm.
Old 2012-04-03, 2:10pm
Loving learning

Oh wow, I tend to think mostly of the kids who fight and make it. That is a powerful reminder of those who do not, and that their families can also get something from the beads of their children. Tissues please.
Old 2012-04-03, 2:27pm
Katherine

I need a tissue also. Thank you Robin for sharing your story.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-04-03, 3:30pm

It's not my story, but I thought it was beautiful.

I have never been able to make butterfly beads -- it just seems like such an awesome responsibility. I'm going to give it another try though.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-04-03, 9:13pm

Amazing things come in small packages.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-04-03, 9:38pm

Old 2012-04-05, 1:57am
Run Free Sweet Boy

gut wrenching

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2012-04-05, 3:51pm

Thanks, Robin, for sharing that story!

I can make ANY type of purple heart that ANY of you could suggest for me to try...and do a pretty damn good job of it too but when it comes time for the butterflies? Forget it! I too, am butterfly challenged. I can make them, its just the pressure in the back of my mind that prevents me from doing so.

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2012-04-05, 4:06pm

Butterflies can be challenging for any number of reasons. That's one reason that we have gone largely to a manufactured butterfly but still use the hand-mades when we have them.

I've had the opportunity to get to know a number of the kids and families over the years that I've been doing this job and I can tell you that the bead strands and, all too often, the butterflies are valued beyond belief. Getting to know them has it's good and bad sides as you might imagine. When the kids do well and respond to treatment it's a wonderful thing to be a part of and cause for celebration. We do lose some of them and every time it's a real punch. A couple of 'my kids' have relapsed recently and one other didn't make it. I'm reminded every day how important all of the beads are to the kids and their families. I pick myself up and get back to work and hope that someday we won't need to make butterflies any more. Until then, I'm still torching and sending out beads.

Robert
Old 2012-04-05, 5:43pm
Loving learning

Robert,
I've been avoided the butterfly beads too, but think I may try a few now & then.
I do have a question. Would a copper butterfly cutout (with a punch, from sheet copper) be appropriate for these?
Old 2012-04-05, 6:06pm

Quote:
Robert,
I've been avoided the butterfly beads too, but think I may try a few now & then.
I do have a question. Would a copper butterfly cutout (with a punch, from sheet copper) be appropriate for these?
Yes, it would be great. There is a tutorial on copper/enamel butterflies on The Glass Bead from winter or spring of 2011.

I do murrini and copper enamel butterflies when I have time. I just learned the vitreous enamel techniques from Margaret Zinzer and plan to do a batch of those as well.

Robert
Old 2012-04-05, 7:22pm
Evil Glass Enabler

This makes me SO glad I make BOC butterflies even if I don't like doing it. I do it because how would I feel if MU (14 year old daughter) was gone and I didn't have a reminder of her.
Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2012-04-05, 7:45pm

I have made a few I tend to make them when I am thinking about someone I know who has lost a child. The problem is that when I am finished with them I just dont think they are worthy to commerate such a profound loss. I will work on some more tonight.

Caroline
Old 2012-04-05, 7:48pm
Loving learning

I think I'm going to try to make a few & hope that if I send them in and they aren't good enough that they will be used for a different purpose.
Old 2012-04-05, 7:56pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

These are the kind I make. I use zooziis butterfly press

Old 2012-04-05, 8:00pm
Loving learning

Debbie, those are great!
Someday I may graduate to presses, and I'll keep that one in mind.
Old 2012-04-05, 8:01pm

Those are really cute Debbie!
Old 2012-04-06, 5:38am

Those are great Debbie!
Old 2012-04-06, 5:49pm

That was a very touching story. I wanted to post a few butterfly beads I made. Two have butterfly murrini and I am wondering if the butterfly isnt dominant enough for this purpose.

I took the pictures with my phone so the detail isn't as good as it could be.
front

Back

Front

Back

This one has a more prominent butterfly, the picture is washed out it has edp, opal yellow, and sky blue wings

Caroline
Old 2012-04-06, 7:49pm

I don't know if you have seen my butterfly tutorial here somewhere on LE. Easier to find on my blog (for me last least).

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2012-04-06, 9:07pm

Just tried your tut Lara. They turned out really cute, but I might have squeezed them too thin. I'm going to work on them though! Thanks!
Old 2012-04-06, 10:34pm

I too have a batch of butterflies that have way too thin wings (one broke). I need to work on some that are not as delicate.

Old 2012-04-07, 4:01am

Lara, thank you so much for sharing your tut. I must give that a try as I really want to make what is needed.
ginger
Old 2012-04-07, 9:47am

Your Welcome.

Old 2012-04-07, 2:55pm

Quote:
Butterflies can be challenging for any number of reasons. That's one reason that we have gone largely to a manufactured butterfly but still use the hand-mades when we have them.

Robert
This changes everything. My beads aren't spectacular, but handmade with love trumps mass produced every time! After years of avoiding them, with this info and the help of Lara's tutorial, I made 3 good ones yesterday and I'm making more today!

Robert, how many butterflies do you give out in a year?

Old 2012-04-07, 6:32pm

Since our programs have grown so much in the last year I don't have an accurate number for you right now, but several hundred would be a reasonable approximation. We do like to use the hand-mades when we can so they are always welcome. Act of Courage beads are also in high demand, so please don't forget the the kids who are still in the fight.

Thank you to all of you who do so much to support Beads of Courage! Your glass, gas and, most importantly, your precious time are valued by BoC and the families that we support.

Robert
Old 2012-05-02, 8:40am

I found a really good tutorial on making dot butterflies in an old issue of bead unique. Would dot butterflies be ok to send?