LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-15, 5:25am
sandybead

Default Getting Ready for My First Show ???

I'm been very busy getting ready for my first show this weekend. What advise can you offer to make this a success? How do you handle money? How much change do you take? What is your experience with credit cards? And any other tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sandy Bead
Saint Simons Island
www.LampworkJewelryandBeads.com
Old 2010-11-15, 8:56am
Glass-aholic

it depends what kind of show you are doing. In general if I dont know how it is going to be I get about 50-100 in change. If its a bigger show, the FIRST person always wants to pay with $100.. go figure.....
Usually i just bring $50. This depends on the prices you are selling at too. Don't forget singles if you have little $ beads. I always have a price for everyone.

The KEY to having a good show is to talk to people, say hello, tell them that you MAKE the beads, have a picture of you torching, people never believe me..... even if I bring my torch and DEMO... they are really dumb! (not all of them, just a handful that dont get it.) I bring glass rods and a bead on a mandrel and pic's of me torching to show them I really do make the beads. They seem to buy more when they know it is hand made, not just imported and sold, or "no you dont make it, you just make the jewelry...right??" (love that one) Just talk to them. If they are looking at something intensely or cant choose between 2 pieces, explain how you made it with what color, or technique. They will hear the passion in your voice, and be totally sold!

have fun with it.... thats it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-11-15, 10:21am
Learning...

Jaci...that was hysterical the way you put that! It is sooo true. People just look look look and when you tell them that you MAKE the beads they get the funniest look on their face and ask "how." Then you try to explain but they don't get it. I really need to get a picture of me torching so they will believe it.

Sandy...Just put a big smile on your face and show the people that you believe in yourself. Confidence is key I believe. For the $$ part of it, I have found that for me it is much easier to include tax with the overall price. And definitely have on hand lots of $1's, $5's, $10's & $20's.

Are you doing a "Bead" show or a "Craft Fair"? If it's a craft fair be prepared for people to really not get it. A bead show would be a much easier sell.

GOOD LUCK! You are going to do great!

Old 2010-11-15, 10:33am
The Venerable Bead

dress well. wear lots of your own stuff. be friendly and approachable. Put a little sign on your table that says "ask me how i make my beads and pendants" and be prepared to explain lampworking. I also have a little acrylic rolodex of pictures of my studio, my glass stash, my torch, me torching, my metal bench.
I bring 25 ones, 5 fives, 4 tens and 5 twenties.
sign up with propay and get yourself a knuckle buster and some credit card slips so you can accept credit cards. you will double your sales if you can take plastic.
accept checks too but make sure you get a lic. and a telephone number.
have an idea of whether you want to haggle with people because people are bold and they will shock you everytime with some of their outrageous and sometimes downright insulting requests or offers. I tell my customers nicely but firmly my prices are not negotiable but if they buy several items i will give them some small price breaks. good luck. shows can be a wonderful way to get your product out there. It's the holiday season the best time to do a show. I'm sure you will do well.

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2010-11-15, 10:51am
Redbearmountain

Hello,

I do alot of shows and these gals gave you good solid advice! Make sure you wear plenty of your jewelry made with your beads! Can't stress that enough! If you don't wear your own jewelry why should they! That is what sells jewelry for me. Next I would say is presentation which says a whole lot. How you present your work is very important. Then just be friendly and talk about your work with passion! Yes, people just don't have a clue, I have had people think that I paint on rocks! I had an artist bio done with professional pictures of me torching, and that really helps. Be careful of craft shows pick and choose wisely. Our lampworking is fine art and you want to be picky about what shows you do. Art shows and festivals and some trade shows are good. Craft shows can be very disappointing because people just don't understand they think they are at a garage sale. They want to talk you down try and buy cheap. My prices are firm but I do give people a price break if buying multiple items. I have nice gift boxes and jewelry tag's and cards to hand out with my logo printed on them. That really makes an impression. So yes my displays, cards, tag's, clothing I wear cost some extra money but well worth the money spent to look awesome! That is what sells your work! The better your presentation the more you will sell. Hope this helps! Niya

Last edited by redbearmountain; 2010-11-15 at 12:16pm.
Old 2010-11-15, 3:33pm
Glass-aholic

Oh geting people to your booth is key! make it look good!!! I go with "just look for the giant sea of bright purple, and the lady playing with fire, that will be me." I have had a lot of people tell me they were not going to come over my way, but wanted to know what was in the booth, because it was a pretty color.... odd but its true! and yes a bead show is easier to explain how the beads are made... i have people ask me when I am demo'ing "are you melting plastic????" really.. some people will NEVER get it.. hand them a rod of glass, (i melt the ends smooth) tell them it is glass, and everything they see started out just like this, and move on into how XYZ would look SOOOO pretty with their blouse or hat.. or match that pin.. make the sale!

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-11-15, 5:19pm
sandybead

Thanks for all your suggestions! This is a Junior League Show with very little jewelry. I'm looking at it as a learning experience; however, learning as much as I can on the front end is preferred. I have just been accepted as a juried artist at our local art association and feel really good that they recognized our form of art.
Old 2010-11-15, 9:18pm
Glass-aholic

a show with very little jewelry can be good if that is what you have. Let us know how you made out. OH and take pictures!!! that way you can remember what you thought about your setup later, and make possible changes. Well that and we want to see it....

Old 2010-11-15, 9:24pm
Experimentalist

Great advice here. I keep a list I refer to ('cause I'm always forgetting something)...

Scroll down to SHOWS and click on "Check List"...
http://www.artisimportant.com/SRAJD/resources.html

Old 2010-11-15, 9:53pm
Favorite color is shiny

Good luck....and have fun!!!

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE