Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-07, 11:03am
sandybead

Cool Lampwork Pin ?

My local art association has approached me about making glass fish pins for their patrons. I have never seen a lampwork bead that had a pin attachment on the back. Because we live on an island, they are interested in a sea turtle or a fish. Any ideas???

sandybead
Saint Simons Island
www.lampworkbeadsandjewelry.com
Old 2011-07-07, 11:09am
Hot Glass Neophyte

You can epoxy a bar-pin behind a turtle or fish made on a cabachon mandrel... and you can get the types of pins that go through the mandrel hole... here's an example of each style...

Old 2011-07-08, 12:18pm
Glass-aholic

Yes I make pins of snowmen at christmas. I use the long straight pins with the short round plate on a 90degree angle on the top. or just a normal pin back will work as well. You can get whichever fit your needs online very easily. (and not for too much money)

I have made other pins for things too. They seem to be popular in spurts.... You just have to think about your bead design when you do it. Glass is heavy and depending on what backing you have it will sag when pinned. Basically you can pin any design though. Just make sure you have a flat surface on the back side to fit your pin. (or like Kristing suggested with the loop pins, its a different mindset as far as design goes!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: